• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

monster barbel mystery river

I dont think i quite understood what the fuss was about until i discovered 2 anglers walking round the river with a picture of me on his phone trying to locate what swim i was in, 2 telescopic 6ft rods and a tiny pan net, how i cringe!!
hindsight is a wonderful thing though isnt it.
i do enjoy taking photos of captured fish, i just try to be a bit more discreet nowadays.
cheers
jerry
a bushy background is the way to go if possible.

(with tongue firmly in cheek....) ...so who is going to be the first lucky so and so who appears on the BFW home page holding said fish? :rolleyes: And do we then congratulate said "specimen hunter":p

Rich,

Go back and read the threads objectively not from your viewpoint.

You will see I may have had 2 or 3 who agreed with me, the rest did not and no matter what you say PM is still being heavily fished.

Dave.

ahh yes , good old hindsight :rolleyes:, i call it common sense :mad:

i got tired of banging heads with some on here regarding the publicity thing
some coulnt quite get there heads round the points being made , but hey ho :D

yes take a shot of your prize , but take the google earth co ordinates down from the back ground before you do!!!!:rolleyes::eek:

What we need is for several of the top anglers on here to photograph barren swims on well known rivers and photoshop images of them holding large barbel against such a backdrop. To support the illusion they need to have trampled the vegetation down, made sure a noticeable feature is in the frame and then post it on a forum. By adding the finishing touch of a supporting post from a close friend who witnessed the capture and who then alludes to "the 140 mile round trip being well worth the effort" (and whose home location is visible on the thread), the lurkers and fish chasers can get out their triangulaion equipment and Bob's your uncle......hoardes of them where we really want them. Result!

I wont bother commenting on the river or the fish, as I've not read the 'Times yet.

However I note that this thread has received nearly 2200 in less than 2 days. And the River Crane pollution thread has received less than 800 in 10 days. I'm wondering what this says about us as anglers and our love of barbel fishing.

And we have moved on

This thread 4979

Pollution of River Crane 882

Hugo

What we need is for several of the top anglers on here to photograph barren swims on well known rivers and photoshop images of them holding large barbel against such a backdrop. To support the illusion they need to have trampled the vegetation down, made sure a noticeable feature is in the frame and then post it on a forum. By adding the finishing touch of a supporting post from a close friend who witnessed the capture and who then alludes to "the 140 mile round trip being well worth the effort" (and whose home location is visible on the thread), the lurkers and fish chasers can get out their triangulaion equipment and Bob's your uncle......hoardes of them where we really want them. Result!

I like it :D

Had few following me just because I was posting that fish were coming out ( not even that big really ) and if anyone went to the stretch now they would spot the swims that were producing due to lack of vegetation and the mud , my pics gave nothing away but some others did , what is obvious is that the swims I fish you cant actually tell without some serious investigating , shame people behave like this but apparently the argument is I dont wanna travel all that way and find nothing feeding !!!!!!!!!!!

Just what i was thinking Alex nobodys mentioned the fact it could be a bluff in the first place,I personally know nothing about photoshop but I'm sure today's technology it could be feasible that the background has been changed? Be funny if it was after the response it's recieved on here alone! Nice fish where ever it swims

Like the one I recently caught from the Royalty.....
LeedsGranaryWharf0011e2.jpg

I've been fishing the Aire in Leeds City Centre for barbel for 12 months now and you've gone and blown the whistle you b*rstard ;)

Oh I don't know, I wouldn't mind knowing, think it's human nature, and I would bet that 99% of us would love to know, the other 1% know already and call the rest incredibly selfish...human nature you see:)

I'd take that bet because I simply don't care to know where it is and have no idea where it is. It's down south so it may as well have been caught on the moon for all it matters to me.

I'm sure some bright spark will say "why are you looking at the thread, then?". Simply because it's generating a lot of talk, on here and elsewhere.

And we have moved on

This thread 4979

Pollution of River Crane 882

Hugo

But to be fair any thread headed "Recommend me a (insert item of tackle or clothing)" would have several thousand different suggestions by lunchtime. That's the Internet.

Did we ever decide which river this was, and if it was my beloved Sussex Ouse? The reason I ask this is because South East water have obtained a drought order allowing them to lower the flow by 75%, yes leaving just 25% of the water in the river. The water will be abstracted from the Barcombe area, and should not affect the bit I fish. However I am trying to imagine how much, and how far, salt water will travel up the river at high tide with hardly any flow to push against?

Can't even say this is South East water's fault. Ardingly resovoir is nearly dry and we continue to build houses with out any thought as to where the water will come from.
Shaun of the dead

Did we ever decide which river this was, and if it was my beloved Sussex Ouse? The reason I ask this is because South East water have obtained a drought order allowing them to lower the flow by 75%, yes leaving just 25% of the water in the river. The water will be abstracted from the Barcombe area, and should not affect the bit I fish. However I am trying to imagine how much, and how far, salt water will travel up the river at high tide with hardly any flow to push against?

Can't even say this is South East water's fault. Ardingly resovoir is nearly dry and we continue to build houses with out any thought as to where the water will come from.
Shaun of the dead

Probably the Sussex Ouse and yes the scandal of water abstraction and building in the South East where there is no water.......

HUGO

'Probably the Sussex Ouse'

HUGO
Just walked the Barcombe stretch of the Sussex Ouse and their not abstracting 75% of the flow at present, I spend much of my summer river carping in this area and things are much as usual.

As too the drift that the monster Barbel is from down here, well, i'd hate to say your barking up the wrong tree, that said i'm sure the local club (OAPS), which controls most of the tidal section would welcome the extra revenue. Its run by a small group of mainly Sea Trout anglers, with us ordinary paying punters not even becoming members with any say whatsoever. Bring your bivvy's, sure you'll receive a warm welcome and can work it out for yourselves!

Back