• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Mono Hooklinks - advice

Virtually zero line twist.
Zero 'memory' ...softer than streamer weed.
Fantastic knot strength, even a (mono crimping) overhand knot in a length does not noticeably lower its b.s.
Floating braids for long trotting 'mend' really well, esp with upstream wind (and 40m+ trots no prob, esp using hi-viz colour :eek:)

It's an option ... a tool if used wisely can solve some problem, and prevent some problems from happening in the first place.

IMO.

We are talking about hooklengths Terry, not mainlines, I agree that braid has no stretch compared to Mono, but that was not the subject.

David

Kidderminster and District AA ban ALL braid. As well as being banned for use as a hook-link, it's also banned as main line ... even if you use 1m+ mono/fluoro leader/hook-length. It's also banned for lure fishing for pike, although wire trace is allowed (work that one out!)

I'm fishing below a weir section on the Don at the moment which is rocky and snaggy, I've had to ditch the braid hooklinks due to them pinging like cotton on sharp rocks, 10 / 12lb nylon has restored the hook / land rate due to its better abrasive resistance.

Kidderminster and District AA ban ALL braid. As well as being banned for use as a hook-link, it's also banned as main line ... even if you use 1m+ mono/fluoro leader/hook-length. It's also banned for lure fishing for pike, although wire trace is allowed (work that one out!)

This whole banning braided main line e envfor lure fishing is annoying, there are serious advantages and reasons to use it for that purpose. Most spinning reels only come with one spool. I’ve ended up buying two 2000 size reels.

Paul have you asked why the Wye stretch insist only on mono hook lengths?
Neil - new rules this year, barbless hooks, mono hooklings and single rods
Fished there several times before and none of the above applied.
Despite theses changes we are still happy to give it a go.

Thanks all for your advice.
Time to do some trials.
On the whole braid vs mono debate, I have a place for both.
I have to say i got a bit miffed at being called a carp angler, but thinking about it I unashamedly do pick some things up from that side.
I'd like to think I'm not seduced too much by marketing( I've used the same boilie & pellet brands /size for 5 seasons) but there is some interesting stuff they do on a technical front that has a lot of research behind it
So much so that I have trialled 2 carp-style rigs this season that have definitely 100% got me some bonus fish, that I wouldn't have got on my go-to barbel set-up.
And most importantly I am a tinkerer, so if it comes off I'm very happy, if it doesn't I keep tinkering.

Neil - new rules this year, barbless hooks, mono hooklings and single rods
Fished there several times before and none of the above applied.
Despite theses changes we are still happy to give it a go.
Yes I l know that them is the rulezzz..but I was asking as to why they were the rules, apparently along with the single rod, barbless hooks it's for fish welfare. I am sure you will enjoy the new set up, after all it is the Wye, I only fish a single rod on the Wye as you know when they come on it can be frantic. Have a great time...

Thanks all for your advice.
Time to do some trials.
On the whole braid vs mono debate, I have a place for both.
I have to say i got a bit miffed at being called a carp angler, but thinking about it I unashamedly do pick some things up from that side.
I'd like to think I'm not seduced too much by marketing( I've used the same boilie & pellet brands /size for 5 seasons) but there is some interesting stuff they do on a technical front that has a lot of research behind it
So much so that I have trialled 2 carp-style rigs this season that have definitely 100% got me some bonus fish, that I wouldn't have got on my go-to barbel set-up.
And most importantly I am a tinkerer, so if it comes off I'm very happy, if it doesn't I keep tinkering.
I for one didn't even think you were carp angler, but I do believe that combi-rigs are 'carp angling inspired', as are knotless knots etc. I've learnt much from carp anglers/carp angler's rigs/videos, as I'm sure many of us have. Anyway I don't necessarily see being thought of as a carp angler as a negative. Ok puddle-chuckers are a bit iffy (esp the carrier bag brigade :eek: ) but it's carp anglers (and their retail spend) that has advanced our tackle, bait, and rig etc design ...IMO.
Now carbelers .... geeeeeeeeerrrr .... now they are a different matter entirely :D:D:D

Back