• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Mono Hooklinks - advice

Paul Richardson

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi All

We have a Wye trip planned and the fishery rules now insist on mono hooklengths only.
My standard set-up is a combi -rig with a short braid hooklink, so I'm a bit out of touch on mono hooklinks
Any recommendations?
I sometimes use Guru N Gauge in 12lb but have been informed that it should be tied using a Palomar knot which obviously isn't much use when wanting to use a hair.
Go-to mainline is Big Game in 12lb.
Thanks in advance.
Paul

A mono hooklink with a knotless knot and hair will be fine. 2 to 3ft long should be fine. Guru N gauge is fine, as would Big Game - even for a hooklink. Ditch the combi-rig and braided hair, you don't need it for the Wye, think simple and strong. I normally get through a lot of hooklengths in a session on the Wye due to damage from rocks and debris, feel the line for damage and replace if there is any rough spots. I hope this helps.
Pete

Combi-rigs?? = a confidence thing for carpers, who sometimes fish for barbel. IMHO
Hi Terry
I don't carp fish - river angler
It's what I like using - I use quite long hooklinks so use heavy fluoro to pin it down and it doesn't tangle, small swivel and a supple braid hooklink
the swivel helps pin it down and great place to put some putty. When I need to replace braid links I'm using 8-10" braid rather than 2-3 ft so saves me a lot of money.
Don't get many malfunctions and I catch plenty of fish so normally wouldn't change it but needs must on this stretch on the Wye.

I use a sort of version of the combi link often, but I use equal lengths and use equal quantities. The idea here is that the stiff fluorocarbon loop at the swivel end acts as a boom and prevents the supple braided end tangling round the lead.
I have no idea if it’s more effective than straight flouro but I get far less tangles this way.
I’ve become quite partial to non braided hooklengths over the last two seasons. There’s some fantastic Monos now and the ultra low diameter stuff really did improve my Chub fishing.

As far as I am concerned there is no need to use anything other than mono in all situations, outfishes all others, imo.
That's interesting Neil as I'm struggling to think of one angler that I fish with regularly who doesn't fish with braid hooklinks, and we all do our own thing and the majority of them have been fishing for barbel a lot longer than me.
I guess we all stick with what we're happy & confident with

I use a sort of version of the combi link often, but I use equal lengths and use equal quantities. The idea here is that the stiff fluorocarbon loop at the swivel end acts as a boom and prevents the supple braided end tangling round the lead.
I have no idea if it’s more effective than straight flouro but I get far less tangles this way.
I’ve become quite partial to non braided hooklengths over the last two seasons. There’s some fantastic Monos now and the ultra low diameter stuff really did improve my Chub fishing.
I only use N Gauge for chub fishing but did have some problems when using knotless knots. The Palomar has sorted that.

Super slik 8 power pro in brown hooklinks for me.

Happy with the very low diameter and blending with silt or gravel.

12lb Pro-Clear works for me, strong, good abrasion resistance and supple, the diameter is about 0.29. Can be hard to hold of though sometimes in the 100m spools. Although I do prefer 3-4" of braid at the business end.

Feathering down should reduce/ totally alleviate braid tangle problems IMO (strong head winds can be a bugger though). At the mo I'm using Drennan micro-braid on one rod and Soft Plus fluoro on t'other (one of this season's 'experiments' ;) ). No difference found yet ... equal 'scores on the doors'.

That's interesting Neil as I'm struggling to think of one angler that I fish with regularly who doesn't fish with braid hooklinks, and we all do our own thing and the majority of them have been fishing for barbel a lot longer than me.
I guess we all stick with what we're happy & confident with
If we believe braid produces more bites, then fine. I of course have used braid and flouror and can honesty say they are no better than mono in my opinion. But as you say its a confidence thing.

I have an aversion to all braid hooklengths, having caught barbel with hooks embedded inside their mouths , attached to braid that has caused damage to the lips , the braid hooklink has parted where it was attached to something else, maybe a combi rig, or whatever.
I am with Neil on this one obviously, imo I can see no circumstance where braid gives any advantage as I have been fishing for Barbel for many years and have had good results using plain mono. Good slick marketing has played its part in the use of braid.

Dave

Yes David. Seen the same thing with mono.
Also under swellings found barbless hooks buried to the eye.

Can only say with my soft braid see no evidence of mouth damage.

Moved on since the dreadful old rough spiderwire of years ago that was responsible for some serious damage.

Biggest damage cause now days?
Bent hooks.

Of course the other problem with braid is the cheese cutting effect. But what on Earth are the benefits in using braid or flouro over a good mono? There is none of course, we are seduced by tackle manufactures into thinking it must be better because it costs more.

Lower diameter
Less stretch
Less spooking

Just my opinion. Not seduced by tackle manufacturers. Just by results.

Lower diameter
Less stretch
Less spooking

Just my opinion. Not seduced by tackle manufacturers. Just by results.
Virtually zero line twist.
Zero 'memory' ...softer than streamer weed.
Fantastic knot strength, even a (mono crimping) overhand knot in a length does not noticeably lower its b.s.
Floating braids for long trotting 'mend' really well, esp with upstream wind (and 40m+ trots no prob, esp using hi-viz colour :eek:)

It's an option ... a tool if used wisely can solve some problem, and prevent some problems from happening in the first place.

IMO.

Back