• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Mk1/2/3/4 ?

David Gauntlett

Hi peeps,

I really do apologise for starting a 'which one is best' type thread, but I need to get to the bottom of this before I go spending my hard earned :D

On a number of the 'Best barbel trotting rod' threads, the Drennan tench float rod has frequently popped up as a prime candidate. My problem is that on many of these threads the preference seems to be for the earlier incarnations of this rod, with the Mk1 often quoted as the best.

Having done my research, I understand the original/Mk1 was British built, line rating of 3-6lb and 12' 9" long, three piece.

The super/Mk 2 was similar, but had a stepped up line rating of 2.5-8lb (as had all the subsequent versions)

The later versions are all sourced abroad, and the last is longer at 13', and is a two (and a bit :D) piece.

My question is...are the older versions TRULY superior rods? Have those that claim this to be a fact actually tried the newer versions? Or is it just snobbery because the original was British, so MUST be best :rolleyes:

It seems to me that at the very least the upgraded line rating would seem to make the later versions more suited to barbel trotting...but if this has made the rod noticeably worse to handle or whatever, I would really love to know, before I go for one or the other.

There are many far better anglers than I on this forum, and I would love to hear any serious views on this one....rather than the 'I preferr THIS or THIS make of rod' opinions (valid as they may be:D:D)

Many thanks guys, Dave.

Last edited:
My question is...are the older versions TRULY superior rods
YES.
There are many far better anglers than I on this forum,
WHO CARES ABOUT THAT..LOL.
The later versions are all sourced abroad, and the last is longer at 13', and is a two (and a bit ) piece.
FINE RODS, BUY ONE.

My question is...are the older versions TRULY superior rods
YES.
There are many far better anglers than I on this forum,
WHO CARES ABOUT THAT..LOL.
The later versions are all sourced abroad, and the last is longer at 13', and is a two (and a bit ) piece.
FINE RODS, BUY ONE.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply, but you lost me there mate...if the earlier versions are best...why would I buy the latest :D

I guess you are saying that the intermediate versions are cat, but the first and last are good? The thing is, I need to know WHY you consider this to be a fact. Have you tried them all? what is wrong with the ones you don't like?

I know I am a pain, but I like tried and proven facts to base my judgement on....(and I can't afford a new one :D:D)

Cheers, Dave.

Dave
All i can say is that i use a MK 3 with a centrepin loaded with 10lb big game straight through for Carp on the float under the rod tip and i have great fun !
So far landed fish to early 20's - great float rod
As i see it the "Super Version " is the one to get but i am happy with the MK3
Not been lucky enough to play a Barbel on it yet but i'm sre it would be great fun on medium size fish

Dave

When this type of thread pops up I always think wwWhd? (what would Walker have done?) The simple answer is he would have bought latest most modern incarnation. There is no way he would settle for old technology so why should you?

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply, but you lost me there mate...if the earlier versions are best...why would I buy the latest :D

I guess you are saying that the intermediate versions are cat, but the first and last are good? The thing is, I need to know WHY you consider this to be a fact. Have you tried them all? what is wrong with the ones you don't like?

I know I am a pain, but I like tried and proven facts to base my judgement on....(and I can't afford a new one :D:D)

Cheers, Dave.
dave, the mk1/2's were the best made like all rods of that time, however the latest version, you won't go far wrong, it's a fine rod, if want perfection, buy a harrison.
don't get hung up on the foreign made issue is what I'm implying.

...and then there's the Carbonactive 12' 9" power float.

Even better than the tench float in my opinion and forced mine into retirement.

Too many choices, so little time. And never enough money. ;)

Dave
All i can say is that i use a MK 3 with a centrepin loaded with 10lb big game straight through for Carp on the float under the rod tip and i have great fun !
So far landed fish to early 20's - great float rod
As i see it the "Super Version " is the one to get but i am happy with the MK3
Not been lucky enough to play a Barbel on it yet but i'm sre it would be great fun on medium size fish

Dave

High Dave,

Thanks for that mate. As you know, I keep my eye on fleabay etc. for second hand rods, and there are often samples of all the versions on sale...just wondered why some are considered less desirable than others....is it based on fact ? Do some perform WAY better than others, for a fact? Or is it 'urban myth' based on hearsay, repeated over and over untill it is believed????

You like your Mk3, others swear they are not as good...but what are these opinions based on?

Mind you, when you are as daft as me and miss the bargains when they do pop up (even when you have been kind enough to point them out to me), then it is likely to be a long search :eek:......:D:D:D

Cheers, Dave.

dave, the mk1/2's were the best made like all rods of that time, however the latest version, you won't go far wrong, it's a fine rod, if want perfection, buy a harrison.
don't get hung up on the foreign made issue is what I'm implying.

Fare enough mate, and thanks for that...I take it all in.

Cheers, Dave.

...and then there's the Carbonactive 12' 9" power float.

Even better than the tench float in my opinion and forced mine into retirement.

Too many choices, so little time. And never enough money. ;)

Give us yer Drennan then Dave :D:D:D

I have looked at those as well fella...but I can't afford one, hence the search for a second hand Drennan as a good, highly rated and reasonably priced rod.

(Incidentaly, have you noticed how many daves there are on this thread :D)

Cheers, Dave.

When this type of thread pops up I always think wwWhd? (what would Walker have done?) The simple answer is he would have bought latest most modern incarnation. There is no way he would settle for old technology so why should you?

A good point Adrian, and part of the reason why I question the current popular opinions regarding these rods...though as I say, I can't afford a new one, and in any case I just could not justify the cost for something I will probably only use on odd occasions.

Cheers, Dave.

I have bought the latest Drennan tench rod 13ft with the dolly section. Bought because it will fit in my quiver when broken down being just over 6ft. And because Drennan make decent rods I have used it on my local Bristol Avon for chub and it behaved perfectly. Now to catch a barbel on it lol.

Now here's something to ponder.
I have a Drennan Tench Float (weave carbon, finished in clear with TENCH FLOAT in upper case italics with single legs) and a Drennan Super Tench (finished in silver grey, Fuji SIC three legs, with SUPER TENCH FLOAT - upper case italic writing. Another rod which was used for a repair was a Mk1 and had the clear cross weave carbon, but had Tench Float writing in a 'script' type font.
All rods are 12' 9", with sliding ring collars and similar length and profile handles. However, the silver grey finished rod has reconstituted cork for the last 6" of the butt portion of the handle.
All are great rods, but can anyone enlighten me to the models they might be?

Cheers
Bob

Now here's something to ponder.
I have a Drennan Tench Float (weave carbon, finished in clear with TENCH FLOAT in upper case italics with single legs) and a Drennan Super Tench (finished in silver grey, Fuji SIC three legs, with SUPER TENCH FLOAT - upper case italic writing. Another rod which was used for a repair was a Mk1 and had the clear cross weave carbon, but had Tench Float writing in a 'script' type font.
All rods are 12' 9", with sliding ring collars and similar length and profile handles. However, the silver grey finished rod has reconstituted cork for the last 6" of the butt portion of the handle.
All are great rods, but can anyone enlighten me to the models they might be?

Cheers
Bob

Hellfire Bob, now you have gone and added another rod to the list for me to fret about :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
I have bought the latest Drennan tench rod 13ft with the dolly section. Bought because it will fit in my quiver when broken down being just over 6ft. And because Drennan make decent rods I have used it on my local Bristol Avon for chub and it behaved perfectly. Now to catch a barbel on it lol.

Hi Clive,

Thats another reason for me NOT to buy the latest version...I bought a Korum rod holdall specifically designed to carry three piece rods (I have several), so the new Drennan would be a pain :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

I haven't specifically done any trotting for Barbel although I have caught them when fishing for silvers using my Normark Titan.
I consider 13ft a minimum length for a rod used for trotting and actually prefer one longer than that for the float control it gives you!!

Regards

Wazzy

Back