• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Mission Accomplished!

Thanks Keith but the issue I have is that I ride my bike to most places that I fish, so I need a fairly compact rod that straps onto the side of my large rucksack. The Hardy's 13ft Marksman Specimen breaks down into 3 sections which would 'just' about fit perfectly.

Currently I've got a 11ft G-Tec float rod which is a 4pc and as much as I love it...I really need that extra couple feet to be able to correct the line properly and to gain a bit more power/control. Also, a friend has one and apart from looking great, it feels amazing. i.e. light, progressive and powerful etc...

Some might say it's a tackle tart thing...personally I think it's the solution for me and I figure it's something I'll have a for a long time. As my missus say's..."There's no greater investment than me!" :)

It's a 3 piece which fits my needs, so it's got to be worth a look. Thanks Chris.

Hmmm, I haven't tried using tares yet...

Hi Andreas

Well done on achieving your goal so early in the season. It is something I'd like to try if i had more time on my hands.

If you're after a 13' trotting rod that packs up compact, why not take a punt on a JW Youngs 5pc Trotter? Not used one so can't comment on what they fish like. I know some rate the 3pc vers. There's one or two ending on eBay soon I believe.

Nice account that Andreas. Very pleasing to read about someone enjoying their fishing and passionate too, about a recently discovered style. I love hooking dace when trotting so am many years away from being addicted to float fished barbel.

Cheers Martin and Julian.

Martin, the line rating on the JW Youngs Trotter is only 2-4lbs and I'm after something with a little more grunt than that. Thanks anyway though.

Well done matey!
I got my 1st on the pin last week... OK I was fishing the tip (not clever enough to trot a float yet!) ...but still what a fantastic feeling, playing such a strong fish on a centrepin....can't wait to try again !!!!
And before the police turn up...He was on the unhooking mat...on grass...in the net...
;)
Sometimes I really do think twice before posting pics on this forum, because of the outcry if I ever make a mistake in the etiquette proceedure!!!!!!!!
:eek:
centrepin.jpg

Nice one Stuart! Great feeling isn't it! The contrast of having to be gentle when playing a determined Barbel/ and your precious need to land it, is what I like most...

Since catching my first on the pin I've intermittently been getting up at 4am in order to squeeze an hour in before going to work! It's so peaceful that time of the morning and each time I've done it I've had 3-4 Carp come up to about a metre away from me when standing in the water...if anyone would have seen me from a far they would have thought I was doing statue impressions because I was trying to be so still. Must have looked a right plonker!

Something else that happened the other morning was that I trotting away when all of a sudden cormorant rose from under the water, took one look at me and started squawking whilst flying away. It's the first one I've seen on our little river and slightly peeved to be honest. It never really affected me until now...

Anyway well done matey and may there be many more :)

Been following this post from the start! And the cormorant thing has become a problem on our lovely small river, not so much in summer, but when the local lakes freeze ARGHH!! Think there is another post about reporting cormorants to try and get an organised petition on culling ( I think). Excellent thread. well done again Andreas.

Back