• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Mission Accomplished!

Andreas Opitz

After a few visits to Grayling and Trout rivers at the tail end of last year I became totally addicted to float fishing rivers and the art of it. I was fortunate enough to make these visits with someone who solely float fishes who taught me how to target differing rivers and most importantly how to prepare/feed your swim.

So during my anticipation of the new season kicking off this year I made it my target to catch a Barbel by float and for that said Barbel to weigh over 5lb. I figured anything over 5lb on 4lb mainline and 3lb hooklength would at least require a small amount of skill and even more so in fast water with a feisty Barbel on the end.

So yesterday when the conditions were perfect I left work early got a mate to grab me some maggots and lend me a healthy amount of hemp.

After an hour of trickling in bait I decided to run a float through and see what was hanging around. First catch was a nice sized Dace. Second a Gudgeon. Third small Chub. Then fourth I laid into my first Barbel on the float which was 2lb. To be honest I was really pleased. It was my first Barbel caught by float and it gave a nice account of itself by ducking in and out of reeds before finally being landed.

So on I went after trickling more bait in to make sure things kept lively. Then I hooked into something that felt respectable and guess what happened? The hook pulled and all I saw was a flash of belly dispappear into the depths! Not happy a bunny. So I keep at it and about 15 mins later the float dips down in an aggresive fashion again. This time with a flick of the rod to set the hook I can feel I'm onto something nice. Over what seemed like the next 10-15mins I'm fighting with an unknown fish hugging the bottom making sudden dashes between reeds and heavy flows in the river. Finally, after a lengthy battle I start to see a healthy sized Barbel come to the surface making it's last attempts to evade the net. Thankfully, with help fom a mate the net was filled with my first Barbel weighing in at 6lb on the dot!

Here's a photo:

Barbelonthefloat8thJuly2011copy.jpg

The whole experience has really made me appreciate the skill of people who have caught much bigger fish on light float gear. And obviously a 6lb'er isn't the largest of Barbel but fact I hit my target and did it on a centrepin has made my season so far :)

Great stuff mate, well done! Still yet to float fish for barbel myself, my well give it a go now after reading that.

Well done Andreas, something I want to do this season too.

4lb mainline/3lb hooklength??? I wonder how long it'l take for the Barbel Police to turn up:D

well done andreas, excellent day out, was it on the mole or wandle? Yet to get a barbel on the pin, although did have a large carp, completely different way of fishing!! Well done again.

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

Mark: I think they have enough to be getting on with after reading the 'Bad Angling, Muppets...' thread! :D

Wayne: I caught it on the Wandle. The conditions yesterday at about 4pm were spot on. It had just the right amount of colour in it. By about 9.30pm the river was almost running gin clear. I'm keen to make my next target a 1lb+ Dace out of the Wandle...I know they're in there. Also I'm going to investigate the Mole next week. Heard of some good sized Roach coming out of a particular spot. You've had a good start this year...I read a couple of your posts on this site and MHPAC.

Well done Andreas.Was there with my mate John when you caught the small one.Marco Cortesi scores again.Great stuff.
Regards
Pete.

Great fishing mate and I was glad to net that fish for you! I see what you mean by the pictures, but there is nothing I can do about you face:p I will do better to get the fish in Shot though.... can't wait for our next outing! :D

the marco reel is a great addition to my armoury as well, glad it was from the wandle too!! This great little river is slowly recovering from it`s recent setbacks!! Hope to meet up on the banks soon!

superb fishing, well done pal

Got to say trotting is addictive. Nearly all my winter chub fishing is done with a float and pin. Just got to find a decent bit of the kennet where you're allowed to wade to get after them barbel!!
Well done Andreas, great write-up!

Great result Andreas! My first barbel was caught on float n pin tactics, something I will never forget. I've had them upto around 4lb but any size is great fun on the float!

Karl

Well done Andreas!!

Great fun isn't it!

You have opened up a new chapter in your angling that will probably stay with you for life!

Good luck for the rest of the season, and if someone tells you you are doing it wrong, just go out and catch another!!

Tight Lines.

Well done Andreas!!

Great fun isn't it!

You have opened up a new chapter in your angling that will probably stay with you for life!

Good luck for the rest of the season, and if someone tells you you are doing it wrong, just go out and catch another!!

Tight Lines.

Spot on, especially liked the underlined piece, to add to that also point out barbel were being caught in such a fashion long before the advent of hair-rigs, boilies and pellets.

Good on you Andreas for breaking away from the status quo. I can't even remember my last float caught barbel... something to rectify this season.

Must say, there isn't a better feeling when float fishing on a pin than suddenly realising you've got a half decent fish on which can put a strain on your line in a tight and fast moving swim. But then to spend the best part of 15mins playing tug of war with the fish that's totally unpredictable...well, it's a pure direct controlled method of fishing which provides guranteed satisfaction.

I've decided my next aim is to get to somewhere like the Wye for a week with a 13ft Hardy's Specimen in tow. For me, that would be heaven.

Thanks for everyone's kind comments. I appreciate every single one.

ps. If anyone has a spare 13ft Hardy's rod lying gathering dust and your feeling generous...I promise to look after it for you! ;)

Try a Drennan Tench float rod Andreas, will do the job and is a little cheaper.

And before someone says it, I an not sponsored by Drennan either!!

Try a Drennan Tench float rod Andreas, will do the job and is a little cheaper.

And before someone says it, I an not sponsored by Drennan either!!

:D He is becoming a bit of a tackle tart nowadays Keith, heads becoming slightly larger and answers to the name Keith when fishing:rolleyes: got to hand it to him though, he is getting better , but not that good;):p

Back