• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Milk proteins

Optimum is not a pure milk mix
I don't think there would be anything on the market that is pure milk, it would cost a bomb to make an produce. Have a look at sourcing milks in tons Nether mind kilos, the cost is crazy. Would be looking at about 25quid a kg of boilies easy. The closest thing to a pure milk would probably be hydromilk by optibaits and that's 22.99 for just the kg of basemix without the company rolling it for you/liquids added.

I always have some kind of spicy milk on one rod - Garam masala and nutmeg essential oil atm, no artificial flavour. Some days it outfishes my fishmeal rod, others it doesn’t.

I think the key would be keep it very subtle.
with your milk base mix id do it with a bottle of John’s masala oil and try say just a 1 egg mix with 0.3ml of oil maximum.

That should be more than enough to get a spiced scent and flavour going through it without being overpowering. Your obviously using a milk based mix for a reason so I certainly wouldn’t be going mad on the spices but I love the idea of the two working together.
Sounds a great bait for all year round.
Any lose feed boilies you do, I would do them flavorless. (Base mix and egg only)
Make your hook baits the stars of the show.

I’ve struggled on a specific part of the Warks Avon for for over a year without a single barbel.

I got some JB baits Taste F2 mix and Search 4 flavour and made up a load of boilies (as loose feed) and had two fish in two nights.

I have every confidence in the bait now and primarily use it as paste as loose feed and wrap regular boilies and pellet.

Note: Hinders Elips is still my no1 bait
Gavin. I have to agree. That bait and flavour is very good. First time I used it on the Hants Avon I had a Barbel ( not easy now,). Second time I had 3 good 5's and 3 6's to 6.15 ( Chub). Had an 11.06 Barbel on it also from the Avon recently. I have complete confidence in it. I'm using 0.4ml per large egg that seems about right. The new Search4 is very different to the old and smells to me quite like his 'The Sizz'.
Tight lines.

I knocked up some frost and flood base mix with the flavour last winter and did really well with it.

I'd love to be able to buy them ready made as making them in the kitchen was a total faff. Too much bending over and too much cleaning for me.
I don't mind doing the baits, what kills me is not having a extruder gun & rolling tables.
I tried the mini Gardner roller tables but the base mix didn't roll, so added a small amount of oil to the table & it ended up a mess...
I might re visit that option again, but doing a 6 egg mix by hand is not fun!😂

I don't mind doing the baits, what kills me is not having a extruder gun & rolling tables.
I tried the mini Gardner roller tables but the base mix didn't roll, so added a small amount of oil to the table & it ended up a mess...
The Gardner tables are spot on Julian.
No need for oil or anything
Your paste must be too sticky. Firm it up a little and you’ll be fine.

I don’t use any rolling tables , one egg mix which is around 4 sausages, rolled fresh the day before I go fishing, no need for a freezer and I’m sure they work better fresh, then in the shed to dry overnight
Just cut up into bits then roll , I don’t want them all the same size either , most get crushed and put into a pva mesh bag.

Mr Issac’s got me into making my own bait again and I love it !

Two egg mix here
IMG_4943.jpeg

Milk base mix powder powder and a mix of herbs and spices is what I do at the moment, works a treat I use it for paste plus some bits and bobs extra but it does the do I can vouch for it. Tench and crucians are loving it of late !

I don’t use any rolling tables , one egg mix which is around 4 sausages, rolled fresh the day before I go fishing, no need for a freezer and I’m sure they work better fresh, then in the shed to dry overnight
Just cut up into bits then roll , I don’t want them all the same size either , most get crushed and put into a pva mesh bag.

Two egg mix here View attachment 25902
Great to see people making there own bait. Seems like something that's not done anymore 👍🏻

Two egg mix here View attachment 25902
Yeah I just either roll by hand or wrap the paste sausage in clingfilm then boil it….then just cut into various sized chops. IMO having all same size round boilies is only advantageous when baiting accurately at distance with catty of stick…I’m mostly baiting by hand in small river or via PVA

I really like this thread but am intrigued as to why milk protein? Fred Wilton carp theory Is that allowed on a barbel forum ? For what it’s worth I’m old and use JB super milk in the winter for carp,barbel,chub using the sizz flavour,alr salar , peach,plumb,crab,cheese in combinations. Not sure it makes any difference but it gives me confidence and keeps me happy. Also very happy using bio shellfish and taste F2 base mixes.

I really like this thread but am intrigued as to why milk protein? Fred Wilton carp theory Is that allowed on a barbel forum ? For what it’s worth I’m old and use JB super milk in the winter for carp,barbel,chub using the sizz flavour,alr salar , peach,plumb,crab,cheese in combinations. Not sure it makes any difference but it gives me confidence and keeps me happy. Also very happy using bio shellfish and taste F2 base mixes.
I've enjoyed this thread too, it's mad to see how a lot of anglers are convinced that milk proteins are better to use in the winter though. I understand people moving away from fishmeals in the winter due to oils. I use a low oil fishmeal year round, I just don't use a lot of it. But ideally a milk protein isn't the best option in the winter either and is probably just as effective as a fishmeal fished year round.

Julian I use oil on my rollers but i just put a dab of hemp oil (Sainsbury’s) on the end of my finger then run my finger up and down the grooves only on the base part of the roller
Extrusion gun from screwfix no carp tax spare nozzles from fleabay

Just a bit of an update for anyone thinking about having a go with milk protein baits. Not actually got round to knocking up a spicy milk yet and not sure I will bother now but been using JB’s frost and flood flavour on his super milk for the last 3 weeks and I’ve had 8 barbel. 6 of them being doubles, up to 17lb 7oz from 2 different stretches of the upper Thames. Confidence in the bait is sky high!

Be lucky!

Just a bit of an update for anyone thinking about having a go with milk protein baits. Not actually got round to knocking up a spicy milk yet and not sure I will bother now but been using JB’s frost and flood flavour on his super milk for the last 3 weeks and I’ve had 8 barbel. 6 of them being doubles, up to 17lb 7oz from 2 different stretches of the upper Thames. Confidence in the bait is sky high!

Be lucky!
Wow!!!
Well done Dan what a fantastic return on such a difficult river nowadays.

Great angling and obviously a great recipe

Be lucky!
Fantastic result Dan. Really pleased for you.

Just one comment to add to the debate. Stop thinking like a human.

If you have faith in JBs baits and flavours consider blending them. Try 1.5mls of Frost and Flood with something like 1.5mls of chicken Tikka

Back