• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Milk proteins

Hi all,

Been a member for a while now but this is my first post! I plan to give milk protein baits ago. Would love to make my own base from scratch but the small amounts I’ll be buying it’s not cost effective so going to get a couple bags of Super Milk from John Baker to try. I will be getting a bottle of frost and flood flavour as well, which is a maple cream/toffee type flavour. I’ve always done well on spicy baits for barbel, be that fishmeals or coated luncheon meat. So tempted to knock up a spicy milk mix as well. Has anyone had much success using spicy flavours/eo’s/oleoresins or even real spices?

I’ve struggled on a specific part of the Warks Avon for for over a year without a single barbel.

I got some JB baits Taste F2 mix and Search 4 flavour and made up a load of boilies (as loose feed) and had two fish in two nights.

I have every confidence in the bait now and primarily use it as paste as loose feed and wrap regular boilies and pellet.

Note: Hinders Elips is still my no1 bait

JB also has a number of vids on YouTube which are super helpful, he also replies to emails with detailed responses.

He is a big endorser of “exact measurements” so make sure you buy some of the plastic syringes if you get any of his flavours. I can highly recommend the newly re-issued “Search4” flavour.

Hi all,

Been a member for a while now but this is my first post! I plan to give milk protein baits ago. Would love to make my own base from scratch but the small amounts I’ll be buying it’s not cost effective so going to get a couple bags of Super Milk from John Baker to try. I will be getting a bottle of frost and flood flavour as well, which is a maple cream/toffee type flavour. I’ve always done well on spicy baits for barbel, be that fishmeals or coated luncheon meat. So tempted to knock up a spicy milk mix as well. Has anyone had much success using spicy flavours/eo’s/oleoresins or even real spices?

I knocked up some frost and flood base mix with the flavour last winter and did really well with it.

I'd love to be able to buy them ready made as making them in the kitchen was a total faff. Too much bending over and too much cleaning for me.

I knocked up some frost and flood base mix with the flavour last winter and did really well with it.

I'd love to be able to buy them ready made as making them in the kitchen was a total faff. Too much bending over and too much cleaning for me.
Problem there is you have the danger of every man and his dog using the same bait as you.

When I’m down the river I’m pretty confident I’m the only person using the recipe I mix up.

Problem there is you have the danger of every man and his dog using the same bait as you.

When I’m down the river I’m pretty confident I’m the only person using the recipe I mix up.
I think this about sums it up for me too…..I would suggest @Dan Martin you watch the videos and read the info on his website….then most important give him a call and explain your fishing situation. You will get invaluable advice, he won’t try to sell you something for the sake of it but will help you create your own label/mix, when you catch on it it will be a great feeling

Here’s some paste I just mixed up - took about 6-mins and that included making a coffee:

Attachments

• D3A2F961-3EB8-465B-84C6-DB17784AEEE9.jpeg
    D3A2F961-3EB8-465B-84C6-DB17784AEEE9.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 159
I’ve got plenty of experience making bait, rolled all my own carp baits for years so no worries there. I’ve actually used John’s super milk for making corkball pop ups in the past so familiar with the base. Was more after anglers 1st hand experience with using spice flavours/additives on a milk base to hopefully give me a bit of confidence, not cheap ingredients to be playing around with!

I’ve never really paid much attention to his Taste f2 mix but I’ll have a look at that and his Search 4 flavour. Cheers

Hi men,

When I wanted to experiment with milks I used to buy a ready made base mix , then added casein untill with eggs was just about a paste that was usable . After talking to someone who was going down the same road who was using elevated levels of casein and black pepper I did not want to use the same attractor ( we was ) so switched to Indian spice flavour ( I called it the balti bait ) . Was good , but I'm sure the black pepper essential oil was something they really liked 👍.

Such an interesting subject , when I was with Temesevern I used the spiced liver lamprey but added liquid fish proteins , which became Barbelpro . Took it to the next logical step and did the liquid/powder dusting /drying where mother nature would help by washing attraction off . Sticky baits have it off to an art now 😁

Screenshot_20230922-171536.png

Hatter

Last edited:
Hi all,

I’ve got plenty of experience making bait, rolled all my own carp baits for years so no worries there. I’ve actually used John’s super milk for making corkball pop ups in the past so familiar with the base. Was more after anglers 1st hand experience with using spice flavours/additives on a milk base to hopefully give me a bit of confidence, not cheap ingredients to be playing around with!

I’ve never really paid much attention to his Taste f2 mix but I’ll have a look at that and his Search 4 flavour. Cheers
Hi Dan, to keep it short and simple. Spice flavours and additives work extremely well with milks. I've made my own milk protein basemixs with plenty of spices in and can tell you from first hand experience they work just as well as fishmeals. Keep in touch and let me know how you get on 👍🏻

If you want an alternative to JB, a bait company called Rollin baits makes a protein bait (Optimum) that is very well regarded in carpy circles.

It works out at roughly £13 a kilo for rolled bait. They also supply paste etc etc.

Brains behind the bait is Dave Moore who knows more about bait than most people.

Nothing wrong with JB bait, Im friends with him and have used various of his baits and powders in the past.

FWIW I tend to use savoury flavours in my barbel baits both 'protein' and others.

Dan - I'm using that exact JB combination tonight on the Warks Avon (BFW fish in) . Rolled it last night. Not a touch, however I doubt there are any feeding barbel in front of me, or they'd surely have it! Everyone here is struggling.

I'm using ASAP (three rivers rolling) on the other rod.

It's just started raining so there may be hope yet.

I wouldn't necessarily mind that, it means the fish will accept the bait that's they've already eaten & 'approved of'
But I do agree that if that bait been used to death, then a change up in flavours or the levels of flavours would then need looking at. 👍

Back