• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Mellins wood

don't bash bailiffs, they cannot be there 24/7 on every stretch, got to blame someone i suppose.
pretty sure these idiot chavs are well known by the cops.

Last edited:
scum of the earth

i wasnt being serious when saying where were the bailiffs,its the sad times we live in,it could have been much worse:(

A friend of mine who is a painter and decorator had just finished work before packing up before Xmas. Consequently he had two weeks' of wages in cash on him. He was waiting for a bus at Battersea when he was surrounded by a group of gentlemen asking if he could spare the contents of his wallet. The biggest one of the group of gentlemen had a knife with him probably for his own protection, which seems perfectly reasonable. My decorator friend who has been around a bit, managed to remove a hammer form his toolbag and told the gentleman with the knife that although he, the decorator, might cop it, the gentleman with the knife would have a hammer embedded in his scull. This took the group of gentlemen aback a bit as this wasn't part of the script. My friend saw a passing taxi and decided to invest some of his Xmas money with the taxi driver rather than wait for a bus. The moral maybe is to take these thieves out of their comfort zone, but it is a gamble. My friend was lucky that escape was at hand. Not so easy when you have a load of fishing kit to put away as it gives the yobs time to re-group.

I kind of sigh a little when I read posts encouraging fighting back somewhat.
On account of what I would consider most people's disposition to violence, I would advise most to save their skin and leg it!

Damian

I kind of sigh a little when I read posts encouraging fighting back somewhat.
On account of what I would consider most people's disposition to violence, I would advise most to save their skin and leg it!

Damian

I agree entirely with you Damian, that way you live to fight another day.

My decorator friend could not "leg it" he was surrounded. He did leg it when the opportunity arose, via a taxi.

If you are stuck on a bankside with tackle to put away, then it's difficult to get away. Either you accept the theft or try and do something, probably depends on the the circumstances. Maybe the angler could have walked down the bank a little and then phoned the Police, once he was talking to them, then it's probably game over for the chavs and they would hop it. As posted earlier, it's almost certain that the chavs are on the Police database.

There is a risk involved whatever you do in these situations, because although the mindless morons involved are generally motivated by the need for money for their next hit....they sometimes get a kick from abusing their victims as well. Worse, there are a few who are actually psychopaths, for whom violently beating their victims is the prime motive for the attack in the fist place.

Keith Speer once posted (amusingly I thought) the story of his method of effectively dealing with at least the first type, but it should be remembered that his method is irreversibly win...or loose badly...and we are not all as well equiped to deal with that situation as Keith :p

For myself, the old saying 'discretion is the better part of valour' has developed a very attractive ring to it :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
I have no idea why Bay Malton took on this length? Preston Council contacted all the big North West clubs offering the lease, the sensible ones turned it down and told them straight that it was unbailiffable!

Bottom end is baliffed an some proper n o b s have been kicked off but it ain't worth going into the woods was only a matter of time before this happened again as its nothing new on there

Barstewards!
I often think what the best protection would be in such a situation, apart from a gun I would want one of my dogs alongside me. They are home dogs and have a good disposition, but as a ex RAF Poilice dog handler they are suitably briefed as to what to do in such a situation ;)

I have a morbid hatred for hoodies, especially the types that tuck the pants in their socks, Oh Yes bring it on.

I have no idea why Bay Malton took on this length? Preston Council contacted all the big North West clubs offering the lease, the sensible ones turned it down and told them straight that it was unbailiffable!

Still no mention of this attack on the BM website - you would think that's the least they could do to help protect their members!

Bottom end is baliffed an some proper n o b s have been kicked off but it ain't worth going into the woods was only a matter of time before this happened again as its nothing new on there

Definately not worth it mate - even if all 3 baliffs went out together they wouldn't be able to stop a large gang like that and would probably end up getting hurt themselves and for what? It's not like they are payed for it!

Definately not worth it mate - even if all 3 baliffs went out together they wouldn't be able to stop a large gang like that and would probably end up getting hurt themselves and for what? It's not like they are payed for it![

Can't let the local scum rule, this is not just a ballifing matter but a Police requirement to do something to protect the people it serves:rolleyes:
The fact that it's a rver bank and not the High Street doesn't make it any more acceptable.
[/I][/B]

I think the nonsense that passes for justice in our courts these days has a lot to answer for, and is at least partly responsible for the increase in crimes of violence. In today's paper there was a report on the sentences handed out to a gang of violent thugs who broke into a private house and terrorised the family living there. It seems the father was beaten and stabbed by the gang leader with a rusty iron crowbar for trying to protect his children. Fortunately, the injuries he sustained were serious but not life threatening. The police later traced and arrested the gang members because a lap top which was part of the haul had some sort of tracking device in it.

The sentences the judge handed out ranged between two and a half to five years, meaning some of them will probably serve around a year in prison. That should really make them stop and think, and will undoubtedly prevent them from committing further crimes....not :mad:

The trauma and mental scars inflicted on that family will probably haunt them for the rest of their lives, possibly causing serious psychological problems that will affect the children in years to come. Never mind though, so long as we make sure that the thugs are all tucked up and cosy for a few months in the holiday camps that pass for prisons these days, we will have performed our politically correct duties (as directed by our masters in Brussels) to the letter.

Am I missing something here, or is there something terribly, terribly wrong with our judicial system now?

Cheers, Dave.

Well, it appears so Dave, given that one pond life burglar was this week commended by the judge for his "courage" in breaking into people's homes. There's a very good chance that any angler who defends himself will end up being the one facing arrest and charges. Police prefer to get a conviction on their books the easy way, due in part to the ridiculous target setting system they have to work under. Like most of this countries ills it can be blamed on hapless politicians, senile judges and greedy lawyers :mad:

Well, it appears so Dave, given that one pond life burglar was this week commended by the judge for his "courage" in breaking into people's homes. There's a very good chance that any angler who defends himself will end up being the one facing arrest and charges. Police prefer to get a conviction on their books the easy way, due in part to the ridiculous target setting system they have to work under. Like most of this countries ills it can be blamed on hapless politicians, senile judges and greedy lawyers :mad:

Depressing isn't it Alex :( I think a lot of it stems from the weird 'political correctness' culture that bas been imposed by the Brussels,the European court and the hugely confusing and poorly planned human rights bill. As usual it is only being taken seriously by us Brits. Our lot have fallen for it hook, line and sinker, but you don't see the French taking a lot of notice when they decide to ban certain headdresses or whatever, or the Italians or Germans or whoever when it comes to issues that affect them. If they decide that something is in the best interests of their country and their citizens, they just do it.

Why do we no longer have any decent, strong statesmen, willing to stand up for their country? It seems we are now the laughing stock of Europe, good only for another few billion to prop up the ailing economies of some inept member of the ludicrous system we are slowly being smothered by, or for paying the lions share in terms of money and soldiers lives to fight wars we probably should never have been involved in.

To make it even worse, we all know what the latest couple of wars were REALLY all about...and yet we STILL end up paying more for our petrol than most of the rest of the world...what's that all about :rolleyes:

Mugs mate :mad:

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Why do we no longer have any decent, strong statesmen, willing to stand up for their country?
Cheers, Dave.

Because in order that they get to be heard they leave nearly every shred of integrity they ever had behind them.
No longer is the governance of this country about ideals but about retaining your position.
Miliband would argue the sun was black if Cameron said it was yellow, and Ed Balls would do likewise if his opposite part did the same.
The expenses scandal highlighted just what they think governing this country is about.

Damian

Because in order that they get to be heard they leave nearly every shred of integrity they ever had behind them.
No longer is the governance of this country about ideals but about retaining your position.
Miliband would argue the sun was black if Cameron said it was yellow, and Ed Balls would do likewise if his opposite part did the same.
The expenses scandal highlighted just what they think governing this country is about.

Damian

Couldn't agree more there Damian!

Damian

All you are saying Damian is that politicians are a corrupt, self serving bunch of toe rags, which I agree is the absolute truth, but not the answer to my question at all. I probably mislead you by the misuse of the word 'decent'....what I really should have said was 'competent' or 'effective'. Winston Churchill and Margaret Thatcher for instance were as human as any, probably with all those faults and more (and in my view Thatcher was the fount of all evil)....BUT...they were strong, effective and respected (feared?) by foreign counterparts.

While I deplore the unscrupulous nature of most such individuals, I believe that at this moment in time it is imperative that we gain a strong hand at the top. I fear that if we do not assert ourselves as a nation soon, sort out all the dithering and politically correct nonsense that we are tying ourselves in knots with at every turn, then the future looks bleak indeed.

Cheers, Dave.

As usual Dave, agree with you and so do many, many people. This Country needs getting hold off by the scruff of its neck and sorting. Maybe one day. I may have mentioned this before, but my dad fought in the last World War in the battle for freedom. Towards the end of his life he conceeded that Britain had lost the war. Friends and fellow comrades had laid down their lives and what for, the dump of a country that we now live in. This is no reflection on the decent people of this country, we saw that spirit in the Olympics, the spirit is still there. It just seems that the trash has far too much of a say in this Country with the associated PC rubbish and everything else that goes with it. If only the PC were rubbish, it's not, it dominates our lives and woe betide any poor soul who sticks their head above the parapet and questions its wisdom. No, best keep our heads down, you'll end up in Court and be branded a Pariah. The frightened souls who secretly supported the Pariah will slink away as they know not to be so foolish as to follow suit.

Gentelemen a bit of perspective please, sure things are not ideal but as far as counties go this is still one of the best places to bring up your kids. As much as I hate corruption it is that that get's the headlimes and the more positive aspects of this Great Britain gets side lines, not very newsworthy or exciting is it?
All this despair was triggered by a few yob's who cowardly set on a angler and stole his gear, that's the headline, but I would bet anything the angler has had offers of kit and help far exceeding what we think.
I prefer to see the good in this country, and there is no doubt what we do is the envy of the world, witness the Olympics, Last Night Of The Proms:rolleyes: and of course many other occasions that make us the envy of the World.
We have a good climate, (really) are citizens are not dirt poor, we have food to put on the table, and the average family has at least two cars, we have a fantastic Democracy, and a Judical system that has been copied by many, and we have beautiful and varied countryside tha thas Rivers that are cleaner than for many years. We have a Welfare system.
Reasons to be cheerfull 'yer miseries :)

Agree with you there Neil, we hear about families living in poverty in the UK, well, sorry, but I just dont believe it, those of us that have travelled a bit , know and have seen what poverty really is, Africa , Thailand, the Indian continent all have people, communities,even nations that really do not know where the next mouthfull of food is coming from, the individuals personal wealth is not measurable, no roofs over their head, life in a plastic bag I suppose.
Here you are poor if you dont have a flat screen TV ( to paraphrase Rich Hall )
The price of fuel here has been mentioned as well, I came back from Germany 8 days ago, the pump prices for diesel there is €1.75, about the same as here, but the cost of road tax for a diesel car is about double what we pay, my daughter in law pays 50% of her wages in tax and medical insurance, no insurance paid, no or at least the bare minimum medical treatment.
The cost of houses in Germany is very variable though,I can take you now this minute to a 6 bed detatched in its own grounds, it has a double garage, swimming pool, and a
summer house bigger than many residences in the UK...... how much, and it cant sell because it is over priced...

€165000.00

I am very tempted to buy it, it is in very good condition, just needs a kitchen as they take theirs with them when they move.

So, stop whingeing about how badly off we are, I know I am a misery guts, but some others, well, open your eyes.

Dave

Back