• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Mellins wood

Paul, that is so sad, and one of the reasons i wont fish the Ribble, unless i,m with at least one mate, or meeting up with some of the regulars who fish there. Theres been many a morning/evening that ive thought about having a few hours, but decided against it for that very reason. :mad:

Bay Malton

Haven't seen a bailiff yet Mark !

I rang the club sec in January to see if they still controlled the fishing and the reply was "yes we still control the fishing" to which my reply was "WELL WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT BAILIFFING IT THEN :mad: his reply was....."Its fishing well at the moment" :eek: my response was "I KNOW HOW ITS FISHING !!!! I WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO ABOUT BAILIFFING IT!!!!!!!!:mad::mad: He then unconvincingly replied "we have had some trouble with the head bailiff and is no longer in that position :rolleyes:

To me they are taking the pi## and are just using it for making extra revenue!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

I haven't been down there yet this season, but I know some anglers that have and guess what........? THEY HAVEN'T SEEN A BAILIFF !!!!!!!!!

Regarding the attack THEY WANT THEIR FECN HEADS CAVING IN !!!!!! The angler will be scarred for life and probably be put off fishing the river :(

As has been mentioned.....It really is sad that you can't enjoy this pastime in safety :(:(:(

Haven't seen a bailiff yet Mark !

I rang the club sec in January to see if they still controlled the fishing and the reply was "yes we still control the fishing" to which my reply was "WELL WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT BAILIFFING IT THEN :mad: his reply was....."Its fishing well at the moment" :eek: my response was "I KNOW HOW ITS FISHING !!!! I WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO ABOUT BAILIFFING IT!!!!!!!!:mad::mad: He then unconvincingly replied "we have had some trouble with the head bailiff and is no longer in that position :rolleyes:

To me they are taking the pi## and are just using it for making extra revenue!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

I haven't been down there yet this season, but I know some anglers that have and guess what........? THEY HAVEN'T SEEN A BAILIFF !!!!!!!!!

Regarding the attack THEY WANT THEIR FECN HEADS CAVING IN !!!!!! The angler will be scarred for life and probably be put off fishing the river :(

As has been mentioned.....It really is sad that you can't enjoy this pastime in safety :(:(:(

Assume you may volunteer to be a bailiff then?

Sorry Mr Banks, but the club sec like all other club officials will be volunteers - shouting at him will get you nowhere!

Agree with your sentiments on the chavs though

what are the bailiffs doing?

i was thinking of giving up work so i could give the club members personal security:eek:
the stretch is very close to a sheethole estate and all kinds of scroats are knocking about:(
me and a fellow bailiff have been down on numerous occasions and have encountered the odd gobby chav!
we've also come across the ones who only a good hiding would sort out,but this aint in the job description!
terry i've been on a clubs waters that your a member and bailiff of and haven't been bailiffed yet this season (apart from when i've been with you)and you didn't check:eek:
maybe i should ring the club and ask where the fook all the bailiffs are?
on the otherhand they'll be members who see bailiffs all the time;)

Dan

I do bailiff the river, only for a different club ! which I do on a regular basis and happens to cover a lot more of the river and to do another club is just not viable for me.

So voicing my opinion to the representative of the club in question about the issue is the incorrect thing to do.......what do you do then ????????

Apologies Terry, never realised you are a bailiff, thought you were one of the rent-a-mob bash the bailiff types, the ones who like to give "advice" but won't get off their ar$es.....

However, if your post is verbatim of your conversation with the clubs Sec I can see why you got nowhere....

Most anglers are of peaceful disposition. The chavs know this and will pick soft targets. I recall a friend of a friend who would fish with a hammer in his tackle bag. Another friend of a friend had a nutter start going through his tackle bag on a canal section and the nutter was thrown in. But these examples are few and far between and I don't know any current angling friends who would respond in this way. I do remember clearing a stretch of river bank, when involved with a club, with a short garden machete which was sheathed when not in use. People who came by and happened to spot the machete were most polite and respectful. But I guess that nowadays the machete would be seen as an offensive weapon, the chavs would 'phone the police and the angler would be arrested.

If the angler in question who got robbed is reading this , I will donate some missing tackle to him to get him back out

Get in touch fella

If I can help you out I will

Chin up , don't let these scumbags put you off

Stu

Dan

This stretch is where I learnt to fish as a young lad and when it got took over I thought great it will sort out the issues on here, but when there was no sign of anything being done it sort of pi##ed me off a little !

Hence my conversation to the sec, who like I said was trying to fob me off about the bailiff situation.

At the end of the day.......Maybe this attack would of still happened anyway ?

Stu

I think thats a generous offer and I would do the same :)

If the angler in question who got robbed is reading this , I will donate some missing tackle to him to get him back out

Get in touch fella

If I can help you out I will

Chin up , don't let these scumbags put you off

Stu

Spot on stu mate me aswel will happily donate some of my tackle no problam its a discrace this has happened they want locking up and throw away the key.

I am one of those anglers that takes a couple of unpleasant items with me ;) and good luck to anyone who tries to take any of my tackle, sorry but il make sure they dont have any fingers left at all

A friend of mine who is a painter and decorator had just finished work before packing up before Xmas. Consequently he had two weeks' of wages in cash on him. He was waiting for a bus at Battersea when he was surrounded by a group of gentlemen asking if he could spare the contents of his wallet. The biggest one of the group of gentlemen had a knife with him probably for his own protection, which seems perfectly reasonable. My decorator friend who has been around a bit, managed to remove a hammer form his toolbag and told the gentleman with the knife that although he, the decorator, might cop it, the gentleman with the knife would have a hammer embedded in his scull. This took the group of gentlemen aback a bit as this wasn't part of the script. My friend saw a passing taxi and decided to invest some of his Xmas money with the taxi driver rather than wait for a bus. The moral maybe is to take these thieves out of their comfort zone, but it is a gamble. My friend was lucky that escape was at hand. Not so easy when you have a load of fishing kit to put away as it gives the yobs time to re-group.

I know wot you mean sometimes standing up for yourself shocks them they dont expect it at times they think there untouchable in a group go for the biggest member of the group first the group will soon crumble.

I think the nonsense that passes for justice in our courts these days has a lot to answer for, and is at least partly responsible for the increase in crimes of violence. In today's paper there was a report on the sentences handed out to a gang of violent thugs who broke into a private house and terrorised the family living there. It seems the father was beaten and stabbed by the gang leader with a rusty iron crowbar for trying to protect his children. Fortunately, the injuries he sustained were serious but not life threatening. The police later traced and arrested the gang members because a lap top which was part of the haul had some sort of tracking device in it.

The sentences the judge handed out ranged between two and a half to five years, meaning some of them will probably serve around a year in prison. That should really make them stop and think, and will undoubtedly prevent them from committing further crimes....not :mad:

The trauma and mental scars inflicted on that family will probably haunt them for the rest of their lives, possibly causing serious psychological problems that will affect the children in years to come. Never mind though, so long as we make sure that the thugs are all tucked up and cosy for a few months in the holiday camps that pass for prisons these days, we will have performed our politically correct duties (as directed by our masters in Brussels) to the letter.

Am I missing something here, or is there something terribly, terribly wrong with our judicial system now?

Cheers, Dave.

Same here i have a spare chair and a ruck sack i'd gladly part with.

There was a Burnley lad posting on the ribble thread last season, not sure if it was him but maybe he know's the lad who got jumped.

Back