• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Meat fishing a nearside slack

Richard Dawson

One of my preferred pegs has a nearside slack that has produced in the past on boilies, but i'm fancying putting a big lump (half a tin) of meat down there for a change.

How would you recommend fishing it? Freelined and plonked in or set up properly with a lead so there is something for the fish to hook itself against?

When i say slack it's absolutely still and only 2ft deep down the edge but the Barbel seem happy to feed that close in once it gets dark. Had some right screamers from there on boillie.

I reckon you need a foot or two of line flat on the deck immediately above the bait, so as to hopefully reduce the incidence of line bites, and in such a circumstance I'd probably go with maybe 7g ledger on a very free running rig ....and touch ledger, striking on a steady draw of 6" or so.

If it's only 2ft deep and quite still, I'd just sink my rod tip under the water and free line/touch ledger with the tip pointing directly at the bait.

I think Bob is bang on the money there. I fish a couple of swims on the Wye very similar in description, I do use a small link ledger about two feet back from the bait . I use 12 lb hooklength to 15 lb main line.Why the heavy setup ? Well I have been seen off a couple of times with fish heading straight into downstream tangles , the need is to turn them asap when they get that into their heads . The lighter trace hopefully stops any escapee being tethered .

If using cane I dont “ dip the tip “ but instead use a bite indicator, rod tip down pointing at the surface , because the bait is in a slack the bobbin is very sensitive and shows the slightest of interest , although the bites are usually screamers , the fish taking line from the ‘ pin like a rocket .

8A4E8C73-11DA-4A3A-B6F7-B0F5127BCD5F.jpeg

As the bait is only a few feet away you have to be really on your toes, touch ledgering would be preferrable but as bites can be long in coming I find that the above is more comfortable .

The steep banks make it “ interesting “
David

David, such beautifully craft rod rest and bobbin. Made by your own hand?
Hi Michael,, Thank you , yes, I am a sort of dedicated cane bodger 🤣🤣. I make things from all sorts of odds and ends. The top of the rest is actually a wooden spoon that I adapted as a sort of rest top to stop a fish pulling the rod in .It is a telescopic rest as so many places need a different length rest ,so its nice to be able to adapt to the situation.
The Bobbin is just a bit of bamboo with a plastic clothes peg as a line clip.

David

You should most definitely try the half tin of meat approach on a resistance free/running rig. 99% of Barbel anglers will shy away from catfish sized baits, but it will catch you the biggest and wariest Barbel for this very reason, as the fish haven't seen it before!

I also guarantee you that on reading this, 90% of Barbel anglers will still dismiss it. A half tin sized bait, looks quite ridiculous to the unconverted 😁

You should most definitely try the half tin of meat approach on a resistance free/running rig. 99% of Barbel anglers will shy away from catfish sized baits, but it will catch you the biggest and wariest Barbel for this very reason, as the fish haven't seen it before!

I also guarantee you that on reading this, 90% of Barbel anglers will still dismiss it. A half tin sized bait, looks quite ridiculous to the unconverted 😁

s-l400.jpg
Which way do you cut it Neil? 😂

But how can you put half a tin on the hook link? Will it not just fall off under its own weight?
I’m often over the size of 2 match boxes put together which around 2 inch square. So probably more like 1/4 tin for me.
A big size 4 hook and a blade of stiff grass will keep it there no problem

But how can you put half a tin on the hook link? Will it not just fall off under its own weight?

Pull a size 2 hook through the meat with a stringer needle, then turn 45 degrees. I use a soft supple hook link material, like Drennan Carp Dacron, which doesn’t act like cheese wire. Long shank hooks also help, fortunately I have a stock of the now discontinued Partridge Barbel hooks in size 2. You also don’t need to wedge anything under the hook, such as a bit of grass, as IMHO this will hinder hookups. Remember you are swinging the bait out into position, rather than a long cast. Both Spam and bacon grill work well, as they are reasonably tough baits.

Attachments

• 71FA3A6B-9CAC-4F2F-A3F8-2B1D4BBD0EE2.jpeg
    71FA3A6B-9CAC-4F2F-A3F8-2B1D4BBD0EE2.jpeg
    334.6 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
I'm always interested about this half tin of meat thing, in the sense of the Barbel must nibble bits off initially as their Gobs aren't that big?

One thing I didnt mention, is the “ bycatch “ of some big Chub occasionally, a 7 lb Chub has no problem engulfing a a haf a tin sized bait at all, goodness knows how they do it but when they come along they are a welcome interference.

David.

Fascinating, I remember fishing the lower Severn few years ago, it was a slow session John Care was a peg down from me and in desperation he caught on the half tin subtle approach...never really gone that big, but it worked for Lol Breakpear many times.
Lol is a master of this method, so come on you legend give us a write up.😊

Big baits 2022, so efficacious in many, many ways….

The efficacy of big baits is there for all to see, from the early 1990’s to the 2020's, from my own personal point of view and from barbel fishing in general.

I still use the method, without exclusivity though, boilies are a great barbel bait, but I do enjoy sitting behind one rod, low to the water, in a quiet spot waiting for the centre pin to cry its signal to strike, the anticipation for me is excitingly profound and a bit primitive!

The main reason I first started to use extra large meat baits (a quarter of a 300g tin ) is well documented, it was a way of discriminating against the smaller average shoal barbel from taking your bait, especially when you knew bigger barbel were present and there to be caught. I also believed that bigger barbel developed an ability to avoid capture by feeding selectively and singularly, away from the frenzy and risky shoal approach and a large piece of meat, on a size 2 hook, was about as simple as it could get, I love simplicity, I learnt that from Fred Crouch, 12lb main line, a 15lb 24” braided hook length, finished off a 11 or 12ft 1.5tc rod and a centre pin reel.

In the early days, I felt it was imperative that a barbel must not feel any resistance whilst negotiating the large piece of meat, so I chose lightly set centre pins, I used to say: Adrian Dolman and myself had centre pins with such light ratchets, any big old barbel would only have to swim past our baits and our reels would give “a free click”. But big barbel fishing has always been a continuous learning process for me, so things evolve, improve and the barbel got bigger.

Lets get something straight though, barbel do feed confidently on all manner of micro food items in their wild state, such as shrimps, bloodworms, nymphs, snails, silk weed and all manner of miniscule invertebrates and the thing that links all these is that we as barbel anglers do not use these on the hook as bait, for obvious reasons, though as we know natural particles such as maggots and casters are a good emulation of these food stuffs and are well proven and have taken all sizes of barbel for me and others.

So the question has to be, are big baits as relevant today as they were in being selective by dissuading the smaller barbel or other species from taking the bait, well the answer to that is a resounding yes.

One thing we must all accept however is that the big bait approach is no silver bullet, big barbel i.e., 10lb plus, have to be there in the first place, as we always say you can only catch what is in front of you or could be in front of you.

Without a doubt big baits still work, it would take 10,000 years for barbel to change their subconscious motivation is to eat and breed, this instinct secures the future of the species, whereas we anglers’ flit and change with the wind. The big lump of meat is undoubtedly still a superb method for getting better barbel into your net.

Only last year, I had a very despondent angler contact me who was fishing the middle Severn below Bewdley, he could not catch a barbel over 5lb, though he was convinced big barbel were present, due to story’s and anecdotal accounts of big fish caught and lost, he wanted some tips on the big chunk of meat approach, would it work he asked. The first thing I told him was that he had to get his head right, big barbel would not crawl up the rod, he needed patience, his approach needed to change, no more skyward pointing rods, no more self-hooking rigs and shock horror, he may have to strike the hook home.

Well, once he had changed his presentation and mid set he was ready to go, I wished him luck, I reiterated my instruction no more feeders, no more freebies, no more continual casting, sit and wait and above all be quiet. The first night he took a 9.14 barbel, the second night he took a 10.06, both new PBs, he has now gone on to greater success, one rod, one bait, it doesn’t get any simpler.

But the whole methodology of the big bait phenomenon (and to me and some friends that’s how it seems, it was and is a phenomenon) has moved on, we now see the approach morphing into huge double boilie rigs, donkey choker Halibut pellets often with a corresponding big wrap’s of paste around them.

Its becoming the accepted rule that if you want to avoid bream, small barbel on the tidal Trent you bait big and fish it big.

Whilst the evidence is there regarding the success of the big bait approach, there is still a lack of faith or belief that its more than a just a last resort approach.

I spoke earlier how the method of the big meat approach requires the angler to strike, especially when using a centre pin, rather than the bait runner clicking away on the run of a self-hooked barbel via the ubiquitous hair rigged boilie or feedered pellet, well this is where I have changed my outlook somewhat, you can use a quality bait runner, it isn’t just a centrepin method. I found, especially in high water conditions where a centre pin can become problematic, a large piece of meat with a size 2 or 4 hook buried inside, encourages the bites to be very violent and decisive and become a self-hooking presentation within themselves, bites manifest themselves with the rod arching over, and a critically set bait runner will see the big barbel hooked.

The advantage of the soft meat is that the hook pulls through and if the bait is in the barbels mouth so is the hook.

But I like to think of the process of big baits is a mindful approach to the capture of a large barbel that has learned to avoid capture, maybe a barbel that has learned and survived that taking multiple free offerings can lead to capture, whereas taking a single food item here and a single food item there, is the safe option based on the barbels instinct after multiple captures, you are creating the impression that your bait is a piece of food that has been missed by other barbel, its not surrounded by a feeding frenzy or the splash of a hooked fish.

This isn’t just a meat solution; the thought process does also mean a single large boilie or pellet could be used also in a similar vein.

The whole approach will encourage the angler to think about how a single, large barbel would conduct its life to survive and avoid capture, maybe feeding in narrow time bands, before dark, after dark or before daybreak, the permutations are vast, close in, further out, under the tree, between the trees. Think about baiting up, with just a few single baits at a particular time in a particular swim.

There is a whole generation of new anglers who have adopted this approach on their stretch of river, be it meat or the commercially available baits that are used, but its amazing how luncheon meat still holds its own as the top bait for this method and approach, its high in protein, salt, fat, it has its own flavour, it’s a good colour or it can be changed in an instant by applying a flavour like garlic or curry paste on the bank or the night before you go, it can be toughened up by frying, the list is eclectic.

So the method leaps and bounds on into 2022/23
big meat sample.jpg
IMG_0318.JPG
and beyond and will still be used long after I’m gone to the swim in the sky.

Nothing pleases me more though than when I get a call, email or text from a frustrated angler, who is looking for inspiration and the ultimate plan to catch one of the biggest barbel on his hard fished stretch, we talk of big meat and the big bait philosophy, tackle, rigs and a few days later he contacts me to share his great news that he has just caught their first 10 pounder or a new PB on a stretch he struggled to catch barbel above 8lbs.

So, is a big piece of luncheon meat still as effective as it was in 1993 when I first started to use it?

You bet it is, because the barbel are bigger and they have become more understandable as they endeavour to avoid capture by selective feeding, which is perfect for the big bait approach...

Last edited:
Big baits 2022, so efficacious in many, many ways….

The efficacy of big baits is there for all to see, from the early 1990’s to the 2020's, from my own personal point of view and from barbel fishing in general.

I still use the method, without exclusivity though, boilies are a great barbel bait, but I do enjoy sitting behind one rod, low to the water, in a quiet spot waiting for the centre pin to cry its signal to strike, the anticipation for me is excitingly profound and a bit primitive!

The main reason I first started to use extra large meat baits (a quarter of a 300g tin ) is well documented, it was a way of discriminating against the smaller average shoal barbel from taking your bait, especially when you knew bigger barbel were present and there to be caught. I also believed that bigger barbel developed an ability to avoid capture by feeding selectively and singularly, away from the frenzy and risky shoal approach and a large piece of meat, on a size 2 hook, was about as simple as it could get, I love simplicity, I learnt that from Fred Crouch, 12lb main line, a 15lb 24” braided hook length, finished off a 11 or 12ft 1.5tc rod and a centre pin reel.

In the early days, I felt it was imperative that a barbel must not feel any resistance whilst negotiating the large piece of meat, so I chose lightly set centre pins, I used to say: Adrian Dolman and myself had centre pins with such light ratchets, any big old barbel would only have to swim past our baits and our reels would give “a free click”. But big barbel fishing has always been a continuous learning process for me, so things evolve, improve and the barbel got bigger.

Lets get something straight though, barbel do feed confidently on all manner of micro food items in their wild state, such as shrimps, bloodworms, nymphs, snails, silk weed and all manner of miniscule invertebrates and the thing that links all these is that we as barbel anglers do not use these on the hook as bait, for obvious reasons, though as we know natural particles such as maggots and casters are a good emulation of these food stuffs and are well proven and have taken all sizes of barbel for me and others.

So the question has to be, are big baits as relevant today as they were in being selective by dissuading the smaller barbel or other species from taking the bait, well the answer to that is a resounding yes.

One thing we must all accept however is that the big bait approach is no silver bullet, big barbel i.e., 10lb plus, have to be there in the first place, as we always say you can only catch what is in front of you or could be in front of you.

Without a doubt big baits still work, it would take 10,000 years for barbel to change their subconscious motivation is to eat and breed, this instinct secures the future of the species, whereas we anglers’ flit and change with the wind. The big lump of meat is undoubtedly still a superb method for getting better barbel into your net.

Only last year, I had a very despondent angler contact me who was fishing the middle Severn below Bewdley, he could not catch a barbel over 5lb, though he was convinced big barbel were present, due to story’s and anecdotal accounts of big fish caught and lost, he wanted some tips on the big chunk of meat approach, would it work he asked. The first thing I told him was that he had to get his head right, big barbel would not crawl up the rod, he needed patience, his approach needed to change, no more skyward pointing rods, no more self-hooking rigs and shock horror, he may have to strike the hook home.

Well, once he had changed his presentation and mid set he was ready to go, I wished him luck, I reiterated my instruction no more feeders, no more freebies, no more continual casting, sit and wait and above all be quiet. The first night he took a 9.14 barbel, the second night he took a 10.06, both new PBs, he has now gone on to greater success, one rod, one bait, it doesn’t get any simpler.

But the whole methodology of the big bait phenomenon (and to me and some friends that’s how it seems, it was and is a phenomenon) has moved on, we now see the approach morphing into huge double boilie rigs, donkey choker Halibut pellets often with a corresponding big wrap’s of paste around them.

Its becoming the accepted rule that if you want to avoid bream, small barbel on the tidal Trent you bait big and fish it big.

Whilst the evidence is there regarding the success of the big bait approach, there is still a lack of faith or belief that its more than a just a last resort approach.

I spoke earlier how the method of the big meat approach requires the angler to strike, especially when using a centre pin, rather than the bait runner clicking away on the run of a self-hooked barbel via the ubiquitous hair rigged boilie or feedered pellet, well this is where I have changed my outlook somewhat, you can use a quality bait runner, it isn’t just a centrepin method. I found, especially in high water conditions where a centre pin can become problematic, a large piece of meat with a size 2 or 4 hook buried inside, encourages the bites to be very violent and decisive and become a self-hooking presentation within themselves, bites manifest themselves with the rod arching over, and a critically set bait runner will see the big barbel hooked.

The advantage of the soft meat is that the hook pulls through and if the bait is in the barbels mouth so is the hook.

But I like to think of the process of big baits is a mindful approach to the capture of a large barbel that has learned to avoid capture, maybe a barbel that has learned and survived that taking multiple free offerings can lead to capture, whereas taking a single food item here and a single food item there, is the safe option based on the barbels instinct after multiple captures, you are creating the impression that your bait is a piece of food that has been missed by other barbel, its not surrounded by a feeding frenzy or the splash of a hooked fish.

This isn’t just a meat solution; the thought process does also mean a single large boilie or pellet could be used also in a similar vein.

The whole approach will encourage the angler to think about how a single, large barbel would conduct its life to survive and avoid capture, maybe feeding in narrow time bands, before dark, after dark or before daybreak, the permutations are vast, close in, further out, under the tree, between the trees. Think about baiting up, with just a few single baits at a particular time in a particular swim.

There is a whole generation of new anglers who have adopted this approach on their stretch of river, be it meat or the commercially available baits that are used, but its amazing how luncheon meat still holds its own as the top bait for this method and approach, its high in protein, salt, fat, it has its own flavour, it’s a good colour or it can be changed in an instant by applying a flavour like garlic or curry paste on the bank or the night before you go, it can be toughened up by frying, the list is eclectic.

So the method leaps and bounds on into 2022/23View attachment 20893View attachment 20894 and beyond and will still be used long after I’m gone to the swim in the sky.

Nothing pleases me more though than when I get a call, email or text from a frustrated angler, who is looking for inspiration and the ultimate plan to catch one of the biggest barbel on his hard fished stretch, we talk of big meat and the big bait philosophy, tackle, rigs and a few days later he contacts me to share his great news that he has just caught their first 10 pounder or a new PB on a stretch he struggled to catch barbel above 8lbs.

So, is a big piece of luncheon meat still as effective as it was in 1993 when I first started to use it?

You bet it is, because the barbel are bigger and they have become more understandable as they endeavour to avoid capture by selective feeding, which is perfect for the big bait approach...
Excellent article and I have personally been adopting this method and can vouch it definitely sorts out the bigger fish.
As most of you are aware the Lower Severn has been very slow to start fishing this season but in adopting Lol's method I have taken 6 fish so far this season and 5 of them were doubles all on big meat.
If you have never tried it have a go and see what results you get.

Back