• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Meat fishing a nearside slack

Does the big lump of meat work in crayfish infested rivers? I am concerned that the little gits will form a rugby scrum around the meat.
Hi Pete-yes it works, I think the crays actually help bring in fish (Chub and Barbel), when you bring in the meat you can see they have had a go, but they don't decimate it. You get a bit of bobbin/tip tremors pulls, but I only strike when the rod of is going in to the river anyway. Experience on Kennet and Loddon-Kennet obviously a lot of crays.
DT

I tried this method on Monday, I actually really like the concept and will continue to pursue. However... like the few posts above, I had an issue with cray fish on my lump. In fact when I finally pulled the meat back out after an hour, it was the size of a boilie. I know it was cray fish, you cannot mistake the bite from these guys slow pull and no release!

I will try different swims, but do love the method!

This is a very interesting thread. A tactic I’ve never used, biggest I’ve tried is about an inch or so, so small by these standards lol. I have two questions for the big bait boys:

Does it work in clear water or is it a flood/extra water/turbidity only tactic? Or maybe workable in clear water at night?

For those freelining it, do you not worry about pinning the line down/fish spooking off the line?

Cheers!

This is a very interesting thread. A tactic I’ve never used, biggest I’ve tried is about an inch or so, so small by these standards lol. I have two questions for the big bait boys:

Does it work in clear water or is it a flood/extra water/turbidity only tactic? Or maybe workable in clear water at night?

For those freelining it, do you not worry about pinning the line down/fish spooking off the line?

Cheers!
It works well whatever the conditions provided that you present the bait well to ensure they don’t know you’re there.

I’ve been intrigued by this thread too , can think of a few swims I’m going to try this in the summer , probably try a light back lead too .

Back