• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Marco Cortesi

Thanks CG :) Unfortunantly the Chinese robots were looking at the clock one friday afternoon making this one as its faulty !!

I bought one of these recently and it spins pretty well if a little noisy.I believe its possible to replace the bearings with better quality ones,any ideas of how to go about this and where to get the new bearings.
Dick

I bought one of these recently and it spins pretty well if a little noisy.I believe its possible to replace the bearings with better quality ones,any ideas of how to go about this and where to get the new bearings.
Dick

If you can take the reel apart and remove the bearing you then have 2 choices. 1, if you have a Vernia Caliper or have an engineering friend that does you can measure the OD, ID & width & then order one on line. 2, Take the bearing down to your local bearing supplier (found via the yellow pages) and they can do the measuring for you, they can also recommend a suitable bearing for you depending on your requirements as I am sure you are awear not all bearing are the same spec not to mention quality!

There is actually a third option in that if the bearing removed is of a reasonable quality it should have a number/manufacturer printed/etched on it

spherical-plain-bearing.jpg
you can see it on the edge of this one as an example. With this number you can order a direct replacement or again contact a bearing supplier and they can cross reference for a suitable replacement.

Good bearing manufacturers are SKF, FAG, Koyo to name but a few.

See it's easy :D

Cheers

Adie

Thanks CG :) Unfortunantly the Chinese robots were looking at the clock one friday afternoon making this one as its faulty !!

Thats tough Sam, but tbh I have/had doubts that there were possiblly shortcuts on quality somewhere, perhaps they changed the bearings from the original run of reels? Either way I would ask for a full refund.

Just got mine today.

Mine's the same as Dick's. It runs for a long time but vibrates a little with a very slight wobble. I took the reel apart to see if I could sort it out but nothing obvious stood out. My guess would also be that some better quality bearings might do the business.

Just got mine today.

Mine's the same as Dick's. It runs for a long time but vibrates a little with a very slight wobble. I took the reel apart to see if I could sort it out but nothing obvious stood out. My guess would also be that some better quality bearings might do the business.

Is the play in the bearing or the bearing fit on the shaft/in the housing? Generally high speed bearings have more play/slop in them as when they get up to speed and warm up they expand and lose some of that play, but it is unlikely that this type of bearing has been used. Having said that even a good quality (low speed = better tolerance) bearing will have some play/slop for it run.I am guessing that also as the bearings are running with a very light oil (if any) then that will not take any of the normal play up like it would if a thicker oil or packed with grease as a bearing would normally.

Should the play be because of the bearing fit on the shaft or the housing this can be taken out using a little 'Bearing Retainer' This is a loctite that basically glues the bearing in/on when the fit is a little loose..don't get it in the bearing though for obvious reasons! To remove a loctited bearing apply some heat with a hot air gun/hair dryer and this shold break down the loctite a little and release its grip.

The Marco Cortesi I briefly had, had some end float on the spool that when you span it by hand fast would cause it to wobble and rattle a little. Again it has to have a little end float to run or the bearing would get pinched up. If I had kept mine I would probably have played about and tryed to shim some of the float out a little too try and improve matters.

Sorry for the rambling :D

Cheers

Adie

The Chairman on Monday

Yet I remember those heady day before the 31st October 2010 when they spun for an age in the mellow, Home Counties English sunlight, and never, ever, wobbled, even in the face of several thousand massed Zulus, Fuzzy-Wuzzies or even Weekly Comic Readers. Ah, those were the days!

As ever,

B.B.

PS - Come to the Beauchamps Classic Reels Conclave 2011 (details to be announced)

PPS - Hope I got the right blasted thread this time!

I doubt very much anything in the manufacturing process has changed, the volume there being bought in has caused the price reduction over the reels first incarnation!

More than likely the hype and popularity of the reel has boosted peoples expectations on its quality.

In reality does the reel wobble and rattle or make noise whilst trotting the float? I suspect that maybe more issues would be noticed on the cast than anytime else...even a screaming bite/run will soon be damped with the application of your hand/finger removing any bearing wobble.

At the end of the day its a £30 reel, and you will probably spend that again to change the bearing and shim the end float.

Cheers

Adie

Thats tough Sam, but tbh I have/had doubts that there were possiblly shortcuts on quality somewhere, perhaps they changed the bearings from the original run of reels? Either way I would ask for a full refund.

Well i ordered two at the same time, one for myself and the other for my girlfriend to get me for my birthday. I've used the other and its perfectly fine. I'm going to ask for a replacement based on how pleased i am with the one that does work !!:eek:

Hi men,

I'm an engineer working for SKF beatings , I have 2 of these , and for the money you can't go wrong . Mine spin freely , trotted with 3lb float line, and ledgered with 10lb gama with no problems. When it's the closed season I will strip on to see what bearings size they have, but they are fine for now. The physical size of the bearings is important, but the clearance " fit " of them is more . The other fishing engineers here looked at it and are amazed at the price . Not a rolls Royce , but worth the money .

Hatter

Hi guys,
Thanks for all your advice,as has been said for the money it represents extremely good value and a little bit of wobble and/or a slight noise from the bearing wouldn't even be noticed whilst revolving at normal trotting speeds,its just that,well with perhaps a better quality bearing it could take it up to a much higher level.I'll have a play.♠
Regards Dick

I bought one of these reels a little while ago. Although it spun perfectly there was a slight grinding noise coming from the bearings that I wasn't happy with. After finding out the size of the shielded bearings (7 x 14 x 5mm - code 687ZZ) I bought some off ebay for a few quid. When they arrived I put them in and it was obvious that the grind had gone but it didn't spin that well due to the bearing cups being packed with grease. So I took the bearing cups out and soaked them in isopropyl alcohol to dissolve the grease. After drying them and applying a drop of light oil back in they went. My reel now spins like a dream and is pretty silent too :)

I bought one of these reels a little while ago. Although it spun perfectly there was a slight grinding noise coming from the bearings that I wasn't happy with. After finding out the size of the shielded bearings (7 x 14 x 5mm - code 687ZZ) I bought some off ebay for a few quid. When they arrived I put them in and it was obvious that the grind had gone but it didn't spin that well due to the bearing cups being packed with grease. So I took the bearing cups out and soaked them in isopropyl alcohol to dissolve the grease. After drying them and applying a drop of light oil back in they went. My reel now spins like a dream and is pretty silent too :)

A 6872RS would have been nice, the same bearing but instead of shielded (the ZZ suffix) it has 2 rubber seals that would keep the oil in and dirt/grim out. They are available in stainless steel as well.

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/ad...arch_in_description=0&keywords=6872RS&x=0&y=0

Cheers

Adie

Hi men ,

The rubber shields have a type of wiper seal that contacts with the inner ring , they wont run as free .

hatter

Hi men,

I'm an engineer working for SKF beatings , I have 2 of these , and for the money you can't go wrong . Mine spin freely , trotted with 3lb float line, and ledgered with 10lb gama with no problems. When it's the closed season I will strip on to see what bearings size they have, but they are fine for now. The physical size of the bearings is important, but the clearance " fit " of them is more . The other fishing engineers here looked at it and are amazed at the price . Not a rolls Royce , but worth the money .

Hatter
i've just fitted a SKF camkit to my car, top bit of kit, top bearings!!

Back