• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Marco Cortesi

Ratchet wot's a ratchet?:p
Its not a cheapo Cortesi thing its Shakey Golden Eagle, :( It isn't bad quality at all, I have oiled the spindle and I have got 20 seconds free wheeling from a previous 12 or so so it's better, but nowwhere near the Italian /Chinese jobby.
Really though does a 2 minute spin cycle actually help?

ah yes the shakespeare golden eagle , (a company called vivatar make them for shakespeare ) ,Based on the Grice & Young's centrepins of the 70's and 80's ,not a great trotting reel ,not a great spin time because its a bushings reel (not a very good one) and not well balanced ,it has a oversized back (wider than the spool) and a lineguard no more use than a ornament ,but they're solidly built and usefull i guess for ledgering .

if its relatively new ,then the spin time will be low until the bushings wear in .

Originally Posted by Steven Devereux

bear in mind these reels are mass produced ,with little quality control ,so the "friday factor " takes effect ,therein reels made monday too thursday are relativly ok but reels made on fridays arn't .because instead of watching what they're doing ,the workers are watching the clock ! ,and we end up with ill fitted bearings ,and generally poorely assembled reels .

Originally Posted by Adrian Williams
Do Chinese robots watch the clock?

yes they watch digital ones of cause

yes they watch digital ones of cause
I think Chinese human labour is a darn sight cheaper than a robot manufacturing platform for relatively small volume items - such as centre-pin reels!

depends which cast you do. if you do the "bad one" i do that twists up your line so you need to scrap a few yards each time, but is as easy as casting a fixed spool then no. wallice cast/trotting its probably more important yeah.

don't throw away good line ,cast out over a field then walk backwards ( making sure your not near the waters edge [plop] or likley too walk into somthing sharp [ouch] or solid) .walk backwards say 5-10 yds/m or so then wind in the grass will take out most if not all twist for you .

ah yes the shakespeare golden eagle , (a company called vivatar make them for shakespeare ) ,Based on the Grice & Young's centrepins of the 70's and 80's ,not a great trotting reel ,not a great spin time because its a bushings reel (not a very good one) and not well balanced ,it has a oversized back (wider than the spool) and a lineguard no more use than a ornament ,but they're solidly built and usefull i guess for ledgering .

if its relatively new ,then the spin time will be low until the bushings wear in .

Thanks for that Steve (I think:) I only used it once or twice and that was an attempt at trotting which had me reverting to the fixed spool after a short time.
Looks like if I want the true 'pin experience I better opt for a better one. :(

don't throw away good line ,cast out over a field then walk backwards ( making sure your not near the waters edge [plop] or likley too walk into somthing sharp [ouch] or solid) .walk backwards say 5-10 yds/m or so then wind in the grass will take out most if not all twist for you .

i'll give that a try :) thanks steve

Thanks for that Steve (I think:) I only used it once or twice and that was an attempt at trotting which had me reverting to the fixed spool after a short time.
Looks like if I want the true 'pin experience I better opt for a better one. :(

Ratchet wot's a ratchet?:p
Its not a cheapo Cortesi thing its Shakey Golden Eagle

they're pretty much ok as reels go (don't let the price tag fool you) ,ok the back is a bit too open for my liking ,but they're well made (with only the occational badly assembled one ,a small percentage ) and run smooth enough and so makes for a good trotting reel and the rachete is quite firm so .so they're not bad for ledgering either

they're pretty much ok as reels go (don't let the price tag fool you) ,ok the back is a bit too open for my liking ,but they're well made (with only the occational badly assembled one ,a small percentage ) and run smooth enough and so makes for a good trotting reel and the rachete is quite firm so .so they're not bad for ledgering either

OK Then I will have to buy one I guess, had my curser poised over the buy button the other day but thought the Golden Eagle might be a good reel but owned a bad operator. When you see the 'hype' around pins and the high price they attract £30 plus is not much, I do reckon that pins are more of a collectors item to some reather than a fishing tool.

Hi Neil - I bought a Ikonix version of the thread-named 'pin, during the summer and paid £49. Even at that price I'm convinced I got an excellent reel for the price. £30 is an absolute steal, unless you get a 'Friday' version. Even then, I'm sure it would be replaced.

Based upon the Friday afternoon factor, it stands to reason that 90% of the reels must be good 'uns.....

Bought a Marco Cortesi yesterday although the ratchet spring keeps popping out and the small triangle thingy falls out, anyone else had the same problem?? Will have to exchange mine assuming its just a faulty one.

Cheers
Jas

Bought a Marco Cortesi yesterday although the ratchet spring keeps popping out and the small triangle thingy falls out, anyone else had the same problem?? Will have to exchange mine assuming its just a faulty one.

Cheers
Jas
faulty, send it back.

Cheers
Jas

Could be a Friday reel :rolleyes: ( see earlier posts ) :)

Cheers
Jas

just for you ,a little diagram

Mcspring.jpg

you could put a spot of superglue onto the bit of the spring that makes contact with the upper support (the cupped bit) too hold it in possition if needed ,but it may compromise the efficiency .

but at the end of the day ,the spring could just be a reject that slipped through on a friday ,which otherwise would of been spotted ,and you've no choice but too send it back too dragoncarp .just remember too tell rodger ,chavender say's your only to accept a replacement if he promises it wasn't made on a Friday!

Cheers
Jas

Jason....I had a similar problem and cured it by reversing the triangular bit so as the slot is to the RHS when looking thru' the spokes....I like the idea of putting a bit more tension on the spring but being a ham fisted so an' so I would probably cock it all up if I try it !!!.........

It's just a faulty one that slipped through quality control, don't mess about trying to fix it, insist on a replacement.

PS, They're mass produced in china by robots, Friday jobs have not been a factor in manufacturing since the demise of the unions in the British car industry.

Centrepins

A simple solution for those reels that are faulty is to have a go at a self fix and this fails, take it back. The staff in these retail outlets aren't going to pour over it seeing what you might have done.

Mine only spun for about 20 seconds when I first received it, so I took both bearings out and lubed them with the oil that came with my hair clippers! ;) It span for 1 minute plus after that. Tried it out on the river for the first time the other day and a small loafer pulled line off it in moderate flow with no problems at all. I tried the spin test again once I got home and it had warmed up, spun for 2 mins + comfortably.

The bearings were a bit mucky at first, so well worth a clean and lube. As said above somewhere, bearings will smooth themselves out over time as well, as long as they are kept clean.

Overall, a lovely bit of kit for the money.

Back