• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Making your own bait.

Dunno but it’s a great shape
Could maybe also use a pasta roller/cutter to make a similar shape in the boilie sausages ??
IMG_0138.png

I wonder if colour makes a difference. First batch I ever made I went to a lake by me to test out. Was stalking in the margins putting a 5 boilie stringer on and at one point stuck a bit of fake corn on with the hook bait and watched a carp approach from the end of the stringer, ignore them and went straight for the hook bait. I know carp and barbel are different but maybe bright coloured baits could be an edge

I wonder if colour makes a difference. First batch I ever made I went to a lake by me to test out. Was stalking in the margins putting a 5 boilie stringer on and at one point stuck a bit of fake corn on with the hook bait and watched a carp approach from the end of the stringer, ignore them and went straight for the hook bait. I know carp and barbel are different but maybe bright coloured baits could be an edge
It’s a great question Jon and I hope you get some responses because i wouldn’t have a clue. I’ve never died any before through fear of altering the taste. Pink is obviously a winner as they don’t hesitate when it comes to meat. Mine are usually a golden dark brown due to one of the spice ingredients in the base mix.

These are very very low flavoured quick boiled baits that went in the river the other night.
IMG_4997.jpeg

I seem to recall using peach flavour along with the fish feed inducing oil with the original Premier Baits base mixes - buying it from Geoff in the car park of the Chequers.

Those were the days….

Cracking bait too

I’ve always thought green would be a decent colour for bait.

I know 3FT do one but don’t know of many others.

I've heard of it, but not exactly sure what it was/is. Just googled it, and its a superfood, just ordered some. Cheers Damian. ( been a bit of a health freak the last 12 months after a bit of a scare ). 👍
Spirulina (not in it's dry form) is one of the most nutrient dense substances known to man. Fresh, it has this wonderful nutty aroma.

Bait colour is an interesting subject.

I've always rolled my baits to neutral colour. But if I was to want to 'dye' the baits a different colour I'd stick to natural ingredients like the aforementioned spirulina, paprika with its red colour, Tumeric for a yellow colour.

I wouldn't personally want to use chemically derived dyes for concerns of how the taste of such inclusions may affect the already expensive base mix I'm using.😊

It’s a great question Jon and I hope you get some responses because i wouldn’t have a clue. I’ve never died any before through fear of altering the taste. Pink is obviously a winner as they don’t hesitate when it comes to meat. Mine are usually a golden dark brown due to one of the spice ingredients in the base mix.

These are very very low flavoured quick boiled baits that went in the river the other night. View attachment 30083
Like the way you've used the tea towel pattern to compartmentalise the boilies, Rich 🤣

Back