• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Making your own bait.

That’s quite a set up for 1 egg mixes Si. Perhaps you’ve got other plans outside of catching on the upper
Last season on the upper now that BMAA have altered the paying in date. I wouldn't have bothered this season if they hadn't. Middle and tidal it'll be now.

View attachment 29684View attachment 29685awesome little set up Simon, heres mine. I've spent many hours in my little bait shed and made quite a few lads happy, just never the missis after bait making sessions haha. Enjoy pal 👍
Looks the biz. 👍

Both my mate and me are pretty much the same, we like things to be right. We've even bought digital calipers so we get the nozzels the correct size. Although the 14mm is .01mm out, so may have to do it again. 👀👀

4796A74D-E213-4AB6-BA50-4F175BD26EAC.jpeg

We’ve also had a 600x600 stainless sheet made to roll out our paste on as the worktop is a little textured.

Last edited:
Looks the biz. 👍

Both my mate and me are pretty much the same, we like things to be right. We've even bought digital calipers so we get the nozzels the correct size. Although the 14mm is .01mm out, so may have to do it again. 👀👀

View attachment 29689

We’ve also had a 600x600 stainless sheet made to roll out our paste on as the worktop is a little textured.
Haha fair play pal it's a never ending wormhole which will consume your money but if youre enjoying it then why not, we can't take it with us anyway 👍

Looks the biz. 👍

View attachment 29689

Don’t forget Simon some of the liquids don’t like heat so are better added after the boiling process let the baits dry then add the remaining liquids to finish the baits then dry them again 🤔

Last season on the upper now that BMAA have altered the paying in date. I wouldn't have bothered this season if they hadn't. Middle and tidal it'll be now.
I’m sure your new baits will go down a treat on those sections and it makes far more sense being able to make plenty of it more quickly

Might be of interest..

Slight change of tact today. My mate wants pop ups and wafters. We did the pop ups last week. Today is the wafters.

I made another batch of my boilies. I now have about 600g of them which could be enough for the sessions on the upper Trent I do.

7a36c3ed-aa82-45b1-9f25-e7d9e9d94505.jpg
3922dff1-89db-4190-b566-3518744da14d.jpg

He seemed happy with them.

Is it worth it ??

My Carp fishing friend is going to start making some hook baits for himself and it's got me thinking of having a go myself, but not really sure it's worth it though. I don't use many boilies a season. I'm already up to £100 in my basket on John Bakers website. Trouble is, I have to do things right, I can't just roll a few sausages out and cut them up on the worktop, I'll end up getting the whole kit, I know I will, I always do.

A bag of off the shelf boilies isn't that expensive, less work and more than enough for me for the season. I understand it must be magic to catch a fish on home made bait, but I can see myself becoming a little obsessive with it.

Is it worth it ??

Definitely worth it Simon 😉 as you know I've dabbled rolling my own and have had a lot of success as a relative newcomer to Barbel fishing.

I do have all the kit so you're welcome to borrow it to have a bash to see how you get on 🤔

Can borrow my ingredients too, add your own extras etc, whatever you fancy 🙃

Looks the biz. 👍

View attachment 29689

I just put the top and bottom of the roller table together stick the nozzle in one of the holes and cut it off with a Stanley knife

Honestly Simon, i don't think the fish will mind what shape it is, a perfectly round one will taste exactly the same as a slightly squashed one. :)👍
True, and I’ll use them no problem. But my OCD means I’ll have to alter the nozzle to get the boilies round.

True, and I’ll use them no problem. But my OCD means I’ll have to alter the nozzle to get the boilies round.
Unless your casting into the horizon or throwing them out with perfect accuracy a hundred yards then round is probably the worst shape to use.
They see round every day. Do something different. That’s the entire point of making your own. Mine are often cylinders or ovel or even little blocks. Step away from the norm.

Unless your casting into the horizon or throwing them out with perfect accuracy a hundred yards then round is probably the worst shape to use.
They see round every day. Do something different. That’s the entire point of making your own. Mine are often cylinders or ovel or even little blocks. Step away from the norm.
Exactly 👍

If I’d of wanted oval boilies I wouldn’t have bought a round rolling table.

I’ve got plenty of nozzles so I’ll get the boilies exactly how I want them. That’s just the way it is.

If I’d of wanted oval boilies I wouldn’t have bought a round rolling table.

I’ve got plenty of nozzles so I’ll get the boilies exactly how I want them. That’s just the way it is.
No problem, I’ve obviously overstepped as practically everything I’ve said in the thread to try and offer advice on this has obviously not been welcomed or well received at all.

I shan’t interfere with it.

Back