• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Making cheese paste

Richard Garbett

How do you guys make up nice cheese pastes for Chub? I've got a fridge full of bits of cheese left over in fridge from christmas and some of it is quite potent.... Be interested in what you use, and do Barbel like it too? I think I possibly caught one in the early 90's on a cube of cheese but I'm not positive on that.

Hi Richard, have a read of this old thread 👍

How do you guys make up nice cheese pastes for Chub? I've got a fridge full of bits of cheese left over in fridge from christmas and some of it is quite potent.... Be interested in what you use, and do Barbel like it too? I think I possibly caught one in the early 90's on a cube of cheese but I'm not positive on that.
My absolute favourite no 1 winter chub bait is cheese paste
No special recipe from me just a conventional one that’s been widely used for donkeys.
my step dad and I made this when I was a kid. Chub love it.
1 large egg
A few slices of stale bread and leave the crusts on and blend
Grate A strong mature cheddar (must crumble easily which helps with the binding)
A little bit of red cheese and cumin to give a bit of colour
Add the bread and cheeses to the beaten egg in moderation to form a nice thick paste. Keep kneeling it till the cheese has completely squashed in and it’s all one colour/texture.
nothing new or special about it just a good cheese paste.

50% short crust pastry
25% Danish Blue
25% Extra Mature Cheddar
1 teaspoon Turmeric

Just use any cheese you have 50/50 ratio with the pastry

Hi Neil, this was your recipe from Oct 2012,

50% short crust pastry.
25% Danish blue
25% Mature Cheddar
2ml Richworth blue cheese flavour
1 tea spoon of Turmeric

spotted it in the old thread link 🙂👍

so youv'e ditched the 2ml of Richworth. 😃

Hi Neil, this was your recipe from Oct 2012,

50% short crust pastry.
25% Danish blue
25% Mature Cheddar
2ml Richworth blue cheese flavour
1 tea spoon of Turmeric

spotted it in the old thread link 🙂👍

so youv'e ditched the 2ml of Richworth. 😃

Can't get it anymore and it still stinks without it 😜

Thanks Mick - I have added breadcrumbs and mixed it with the remnants of an old batch and it now feels fine.

What I like about cheese paste is that its very easy to add a flavour,colour or spice to make the bait very individual to you. I tend to change the bait flavour every 6 weeks to give the fish something new. Aldi do 1kg blocks of cheese for £3.99 either mature or mellow, when grated with liquidised bread a spice and margarine this makes about 1.5kg of bait . A very cheap quality bait which most fish love,grow fat on very quickly and bream tend to avoid.

Mark Erdwin has a good youtube video on cheese paste.

Personally I don't like the pastry variants as they go hard in cold water, although I did use it for years because it was the first and only recipe I tried.

Bob, perhaps you need a bit more cheese if your paste hardens too much in cold water?

I use ready rolled shortcrust pastry and have no problems.

As has been said on this thread it's an easy bait to experiment with and I can't help adding a colour or a flavour (invariably both).

Perhaps, to be honest it's been a few years since I made it, my preferred winter chub bait being bread, a big piece of!!

I would say all pastes in cold water get tougher and a bit of forward thinking can resolve this simply by making a softer paste than Ideal to start with and let the cold water temp bring it to a usable consistency.

Unrelated but similar principle.......
When I fabricate something that I want to be square I know as soon as I apply heat to it through welding it’s going to pull and be out of square.
The trick is to start with it out of square and let the process pull it true for you.
A clean strike should always see that hook pull through paste every time in any water temp.
My cheese pastes are always too soft to start with

My guiding principle is ...if you keep it in the fridge (i.e. @ ~3'c) and it feels a nice consistency straight from the fridge, it'll stick around your hook and be soft enough to strike though in the coldest of water. Generally, if it feels too hard then it's not got enough oil in it (I prefer oil to fat, that is, fat that's liquid at 3'c e.g. hemp oil)

My latest recipe seems to be working okay for chub and also roach!
50/50 extra mature cheddar/short pastry - hot smoked paprika - ground turmeric.
I've tried Stilton and other smellies but, tbh I've found that the specific cheese is unimportant, they all catch as long as they have that distinct cheesy odor.

Question guys,
Has anyone tried to make a paste with pastry and luncheon meat?. Just thought it might be a bait for both chub and barbel.
Sorry, it was quiet on the river bank this morning and the brain started to wonder !

Question guys,
Has anyone tried to make a paste with pastry and luncheon meat?. Just thought it might be a bait for both chub and barbel.
Sorry, it was quiet on the river bank this morning and the brain started to wonder !
I made a really nicely textured wrap (nicely textured after several attempts) from luncheon meat and finely ground (via coffee grinder) halibut pellets, plus a little green-lipped mussel groundbait a couple of years ago. I ended up freezing it without having tried it, then threw it out last close season, to make room for new concoctions (why do we do it eh?).

Question guys,
Sausage meat is easier to work with. Stiffen with flour or groundbait plus whatever additives or colour you want to put.

Back