• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Makes my blood boil 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

Neil
It seems wrong to discuss another site on BFW but the conversation does lead to it unfortunately. It was not my intention to have a go at the other site on here but the lack of understanding by the majority who contributed to my recent post about the Thames Six was shocking.

With regard to posts, I was a member of Fishing Magic many years ago and it was a better site then but I found that for me constantly talking about the same subjects was quite frustrating and I became a lurker instead of a contributor. I also had a few friends and we chatted directly without silly comments being posted. Time went by I could not remember my old log in details so I rejoined six years ago to track down an old mate who used to post on the site regularly and I had lost all of his details. That is also one of the reason why I rarely post on any site and stay away from places like facebook.

Just because I have not posted over the years should not be an issue. Is my contribution less valued because I have not done my apprenticeship by commenting on of banal posts that I have no interest in?

BFW is different and it has a huge wealth of experience and knowledge, and the pretenders are soon found out. Members do challenge each other but the arguments are based upon a genuine interest and understanding of fishing and their personal experiences, and not what was in the latest Coarse Fishing Monthly.

On most sites there are a few armchair experts who will make a quantified statement that is based upon conjecture and what they have seen or heard elsewhere. The other site (FM) seems to rely upon nucleus of people who just want to comment without any genuine belief in the subject. My post was an attempt to raise the issue but some of the responses were ignorant and a few contributors preferred to have a go at me instead of answering the question that I posed.

As I read through what was posted it was quite clear to me that those who commented could be put into several categories.

The first category was the genuine angler who looked at the video and the pictures, and instinctively knew that what had occurred was wrong. He did not need to seek guidance from his peers to make a comment and he added to the debate in a positive way.

The second category was the person who does go fishing sometimes but has rarely seen or caught a barbel. They were more interested in picking holes in the post and making statements about how many died and telling the fishery owner. I made it quite clear many times that is was about fish welfare and why I had questioned the lack of it.

They lacked the moral fibre to answer and tried to make me the villain. Talking about the old days and what was allowed then which is outdated and bears no context to the post. Angling is a great sport but we must be seen to consider the welfare of all fish and that is not happening if the Thames Six are swept under the carpet.

Some asked if my response was appropriate and why I had suddenly posted on the site. I posted because I was disgusted at what happened and could not grab hold of the person in the videos. He has rightly gone to ground and his group have also been very quiet. How many more videos are floating around of multiple catches of fish that we do not know of? The only comment from his group was that they would not allow multiple catches any more. Does that mean they have happened before, and that no one has challenged them?

I have not posted on this site very often either so should the members value my posts less against others who post all the time?

I think it is about the relevance and the importance of the post or comment that matters.

The third category of member are the 'not really sure and stop annoying me category'. It's not their fault that they do not understand why myself and others were so upset at the incident. They will go with the flow and if lucky tag a mates post with a thumbs up.

More than a little bit harsh - I fish for both species and on the whole (and especially from what I witness on the Trent) I would say there are far more barbel anglers on the banks these days who don't even have a correctly sized landing net let alone an effective unhooking mat / fish care products. Some of the gear they are using also has to be seen to be believed - including the now de riguer fire pit and BBQ gear on an overnighter ffs

Fishcare has been HIGH on the agenda for carp anglers for a VERY long time (over 2-3 decades); not sure barbel fishing has had anywhere near the same level of exposure in terms of education - I put match fishing in a similar bracket TBF

As for Mark Casper; I don't think so - as already stated; he's a very proficient angler and not just for carp. Some of you Des Taylor / waxed jacket types should try his hook baits - if you can afford them!
Just brought some let's see 👌🏻

What a load of vindictive little children! Get over yourselves for heavens sakes!

I sat on some of these comments and actually deleted my account as I was tbh a bit annoyed with some of the comments.. I apprecaite you all have a view and so do I just didn't know how to respond so will now. This is not me being confrontational at all or starting a back and forth.

Firstly - I am with you all on the way these fish have been treated and what's been done to the camera, slapping around like they have come of a sea boat for slaughter.

Secondly - This is where I need to get my views across, I am primary a carp angler that's what floats my boat. I Joined this forum to expand in to specimen hunting and barbel where I have learnt lots and made some good friends. Stereo typing this behaviour as "just another carp angler" is a Total miss conception of those that hunt these so called "mud pigs" around like me. Yes there are some and this happens across all of our chosen areas. If like me you are dedicated to your craft and share this experience with like minded anglers carp anglers are some of the most respectful fish care advocates I know other any match or sea angler alike. The gear I carry and use is built upon fish care, and my mind set is leave nothing but foot prints and a great deal more like me exist, Carp angling has become so main stream with Youtube and socials people forget there a re a world of carp anglers still around like those that exist on this forum.

This is not a post to call anyone out or start a war of words nor to take away the from the fact of why this thread was started. Its me responding and explaining why certain comments have got to me... and how the actions of one individual has got to all of us. No matter what we fish for we should ALL have the goal of improving lakes and rivers and respecting what's left within them, and as anglers not stereotype and reamber what we are which are anglers trying to hunt and catch what swims for our enjoyment and for generations behind us. We need to spend our energy fighting for cleaner rivers, better fish care and overall a better angling community that we frequent in.

All the best Dan 🎣

I sat on some of these comments and actually deleted my account as I was tbh a bit annoyed with some of the comments.. I apprecaite you all have a view and so do I just didn't know how to respond so will now. This is not me being confrontational at all or starting a back and forth.

Firstly - I am with you all on the way these fish have been treated and what's been done to the camera, slapping around like they have come of a sea boat for slaughter.

Secondly - This is where I need to get my views across, I am primary a carp angler that's what floats my boat. I Joined this forum to expand in to specimen hunting and barbel where I have learnt lots and made some good friends. Stereo typing this behaviour as "just another carp angler" is a Total miss conception of those that hunt these so called "mud pigs" around like me. Yes there are some and this happens across all of our chosen areas. If like me you are dedicated to your craft and share this experience with like minded anglers carp anglers are some of the most respectful fish care advocates I know other any match or sea angler alike. The gear I carry and use is built upon fish care, and my mind set is leave nothing but foot prints and a great deal more like me exist, Carp angling has become so main stream with Youtube and socials people forget there a re a world of carp anglers still around like those that exist on this forum.

This is not a post to call anyone out or start a war of words nor to take away the from the fact of why this thread was started. Its me responding and explaining why certain comments have got to me... and how the actions of one individual has got to all of us. No matter what we fish for we should ALL have the goal of improving lakes and rivers and respecting what's left within them, and as anglers not stereotype and reamber what we are which are anglers trying to hunt and catch what swims for our enjoyment and for generations behind us. We need to spend our energy fighting for cleaner rivers, better fish care and overall a better angling community that we frequent in.

All the best Dan 🎣
Great post Daniel

All the best Dan 🎣
Well said Dan .. Carp fishing is one of my many coarse fishing enjoyments .. as I said ‘like John baker’ .. he’s a carp angler yet that was overlooked. 😬👍🎣

All the best Dan 🎣
Brilliant post and you hit the nail on the head mate
I have fished since I was old enough to hold a rod starting out with bleak gudgeon roach dace etec etc junior match fishing then
I fished for barbel during my later youth years until 1962 when I switched to Carp and now gone full circle back to Barbel

and I often see these moronic posts about mud pigs ? do these idiots think they are something special because they fish for Barbel ? and how disrespectful to other species of fish ?

these are NOT the sort of comments or terms you will get from proper Anglers !!

just very narrow minded inexperienced people that go fishing for one species
all fishing has its problem anglers Carp fishing and barbel fishing look at the collingham circus ? I would say the level of fish care is vastly superior in Carp fishing generally as they are better educated and really look after their fish
I have seen far too many Barbel floating belly up where clearly they havent been rested properly

sadly a lot of this stems from the media whores in Barbel fishing that feel the need to trophy shot every Barbel they catch

All the best Dan 🎣
Fair comments there dan. I was just having a rant the other night which I do apologise to all!
I do know you/ we, have all the best interest in the fish welfare possible.
It's just you get tits who don't how to fish and treat barbel! I would be absolutely mortified if ever a barbel came to any sort of distress in my care.. as we all would!
Ps I'm sorry for calling them mud Pigs. And again I apologise to all.
Chris.

Fair comments there dan. I was just having a rant the other night which I do apologise to all!
It's just you get tits who don't how to fish and treat barbel! I would be absolutely mortified if ever a barbel came to any sort of distress in my care.. as we all would!
Chris.
I can make it very clear the post was not named at Individuals or your self Chris, I understand now where the comments come from by sitting back and reflecting. We all love a good rant, and it all steamed from the same initial actions of one individual that in my opinion then made everyone in a rage say things that don’t reflect who they are. I just wanted to turn it back around and remind us all what we as this forum and anglers are here for and do.

Tight lines all

I can make it very clear the post was not named at Individuals or your self Chris, I understand now where the comments come from by sitting back and reflecting. We all love a good rant, and it all steamed from the same initial actions of one individual that in my opinion then made everyone in a rage say things that don’t reflect who they are. I just wanted to turn it back around and remind us all what we as this forum and anglers are here for and do.

Tight lines all
Spot on dude! That's all I can say!!
Chris.

Typical carp angler..... complete shining bellend!! no offence to anybody fishes for mud Pigs! Rake the swim with a trawler Send out the bait boat that looks like a duck, then spodding for about 3 parts of a year. Then cast out 20 to 30 times til they get it right. put on their Claxon bite alarms, Put on their crocs. Then crank up the genny for the 67" flatscreen home cinema in the bivvy and wait for said alarms to alert everybody in a 60 mile radius that they have a fish on! For the life of me I can't get my head round them. All these stupid friggin rigs. What's wrong with a simple running lead or feeder????
Honestly my honest opinion is they are a bunch of d@#k ends!!
Chris
But offence taken Chris, I've fished for river Thames' carp for thirty years and Thames' barbel and chub for fifty plus years. Your post comes across as very elitist, labelling anyone who fishes for 'mud pigs' (your words not mine) with the same tag as this guy, who's actions are obviously abhorrent and are rightly codemned. I take extreme care of EVERY fish I catch, each bream is unhooked in the net, allowed to recover, every chub and every barbel is returned with great care to swim away strongly and each and every carp is handled with equal care (and I have caught Thames' carp to 48lb 10oz). I always treat hookholds on ALL fish caught with a propriety antiseptic. So please rein in your 'holier than thou' attitude.

But offence taken Chris, I've fished for river Thames' carp for thirty years and Thames' barbel and chub for fifty plus years. Your post comes across as very elitist, labelling anyone who fishes for 'mud pigs' (your words not mine) with the same tag as this guy, who's actions are obviously abhorrent and are rightly codemned. I take extreme care of EVERY fish I catch, each bream is unhooked in the net, allowed to recover, every chub and every barbel is returned with great care to swim away strongly and each and every carp is handled with equal care (and I have caught Thames' carp to 48lb 10oz). I always treat hookholds on ALL fish caught with a propriety antiseptic. So please rein in your 'holier than thou' attitude.
To sping to Chris’s defence Steve (and no I don’t know him) he did offer an apology a few posts back.

To sping to Chris’s defence Steve (and no I don’t know him) he did offer an apology a few posts back.
Bill and Chris, I saw that after I'd posted my comment. As an angler that enjoys fishing for different species, I do find what I see as an elitist attitude towards fish that are deemed by some as inferior or a nuisance to their chosen quarry. Thanks for pointing out Chis' post to which I've responded.

Chris.
Chris, I should've read through to the end of the thread and I would've seen your post apologising for your earlier comment. Perhaps I shouldn't have hit the first tremble of the rod top and waited for the three foot twitch. Best regards Steve

Chris, I should've read through to the end of the thread and I would've seen your post apologising for your earlier comment. Perhaps I shouldn't have hit the first tremble of the rod top and waited for the three foot twitch. Best regards Steve
No worries Steve. I shouldn't of tarred all carp anglers with the same brush to be fair. And honestly I would love to catch a river carp... or even a wild canal carp as I don't do pools.
Chris.

Back