• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Magic meat at Tesco

Took a look in my local Tesco at Amersham today...that is a big Tesco, but as usual, they had no stock of the garlic version :rolleyes:

I seem doomed on this garlic spam thing...no local Liddle or Aldi, and the local Tesco never has what the others have, or what I want :mad:

Cheers, Dave.

Mark are you still feeding it to your lad lve got 10 tins in the shed if you need some you can have half a dozen. because i stocked up in the summer when it was on offer

This offer is still on in Tesco and now tins have 25% extra. I've never been convinced that the garlic version gives an edge, but given today's offer I've stocked up.

Im my local Tesco, after I emptied the shelves they restocked but with 200g tins, not the 25% ones so I decided I had enough already! As soon as the offer finished they removed them from the shelves (a couple of day thereafter).

The garlic Spam certainly has the edge in the smelliness department which surely can't be a bad thing :)

Stephen

Coat in curry powder and you have a double edged sword.

Actually, sod the fish I feel a meal of spam fritters coming on. There is a recipe for the batter in the handbook of our deep fat fryer just before the instructions on how to deep fry a Mars Bar and I'm not joking! plus the kids want me to make it for them.

Took a look in my local Tesco at Amersham today...that is a big Tesco, but as usual, they had no stock of the garlic version :rolleyes:

I seem doomed on this garlic spam thing...no local Liddle or Aldi, and the local Tesco never has what the others have, or what I want :mad:

Cheers, Dave.

Dave, your not alone. I live in Leeds and tried just about all the big supermarkets, including Aldi and Lidl, and never found any either.:rolleyes: I try and make my own by using garlic puree and powder etc and freeze then thaw a couple of times. It certainly smells garlicy but i've had more luck with the ordinary Co-op meat.:D Good luck with search Dave, and if i ever find any i'll send you a few tins if you like;):D

Stephen

I took a trip down memory lane the other week as my local chippy started doing spam fritters.so I had to oblige n buy one well wish I hadn't now it ruined fond memory's I bit into it but after about 3 mouthfuls Christ the taste even my trusty border collie spat it out & there ain't much she won't eat????
I think some things are best left in the past

Mark
but was it proper spam?
or some dodgy cheap alternative, luncheon meat...:(

Coat in curry powder and you have a double edged sword.

Actually, sod the fish I feel a meal of spam fritters coming on. There is a recipe for the batter in the handbook of our deep fat fryer just before the instructions on how to deep fry a Mars Bar and I'm not joking! plus the kids want me to make it for them.
deep fried mars bars are nice, as is deep fried ice cream..;)
but not every day or....
Uh-oh+it+sounds+like+somebody+s+jealous.+Pic+related+_fb24a731affb568e110f3bd44b29a7e5.jpg

Dave, your not alone. I live in Leeds and tried just about all the big supermarkets, including Aldi and Lidl, and never found any either.:rolleyes: I try and make my own by using garlic puree and powder etc and freeze then thaw a couple of times. It certainly smells garlicy but i've had more luck with the ordinary Co-op meat.:D Good luck with search Dave, and if i ever find any i'll send you a few tins if you like;):D

Stephen

Many thanks for your kind offer Stephen, much appreciated. However, I still have several tins left from a batch I bought off another angler. One day, I will find some in a supermarket like all these posters do...but I won't hold my breath until I do :D

As for adding your own garlic, that's all a bit of a mystery. Many moons ago my mates and I fared well with garlic essential oil in boilies, adding it to our liquids before mixing (carp fishing I fear :D). However, liquidising actual cloves of garlic and using in the same way failed miserably. Incidentally, did really well with a high quality squid powder...but again, not with liquidised squid itself (Missus got really unnecessary with me for liquidising fresh squid in her blender, so good job it didn't work really :p)

Some claim to do well with adding all sorts of garlic salts/purées/powders/liquidised fresh and so on added to their spam, but I have not found any of it to work as well as the original 'tinned with it in' :D Perhaps it's just me :D

Thanks again Stephen, top angling mate.

Cheers, Dave.

Many thanks for your kind offer Stephen, much appreciated. However, I still have several tins left from a batch I bought off another angler. One day, I will find some in a supermarket like all these posters do...but I won't hold my breath until I do :D

As for adding your own garlic, that's all a bit of a mystery. Many moons ago my mates and I fared well with garlic essential oil in boilies, adding it to our liquids before mixing (carp fishing I fear :D). However, liquidising actual cloves of garlic and using in the same way failed miserably. Incidentally, did really well with a high quality squid powder...but again, not with liquidised squid itself (Missus got really unnecessary with me for liquidising fresh squid in her blender, so good job it didn't work really :p)

Some claim to do well with adding all sorts of garlic salts/purées/powders/liquidised fresh and so on added to their spam, but I have not found any of it to work as well as the original 'tinned with it in' :D Perhaps it's just me :D

Thanks again Stephen, top angling mate.

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Dave, I've found "vanilla" lunchy to be as good as any. However, my local Tesco has loads of the garlic spam. If you want any, let me know, £1 a tin unfortunately the 25% extra tins are no longer available as they have all been bought up and are for sale in my corner shop at £2.25 a tin. Tesco do currently have bacon spam in the 25% extra tin.

Garlic Spam is probably a bit like The Emporor's New Clothes.

I admit to having fallen for it, and some, as I am now adding curry powder as well! But, it gives me confidence which is a major part of our fishing efforts.

With garlic and curry powder it is well whiffy and in the current coloured water conditions that adds to my confidence.

I have noticed my normal boilies (Dynamite Halibut) seem less effective now the water temperatures have lowered.

Hi Dave, I've found "vanilla" lunchy to be as good as any. However, my local Tesco has loads of the garlic spam. If you want any, let me know, £1 a tin unfortunately the 25% extra tins are no longer available as they have all been bought up and are for sale in my corner shop at £2.25 a tin. Tesco do currently have bacon spam in the 25% extra tin.

The worrying bit for me Jim is the is the capital letters claim on the tin that it is REAL bacon in their spam. Previous to that, there was never a doubt in my mind...the question just never arose. Now though, I am in a panic as to what exactly they put in their spam when it doesn't carry the REAL word....maybe the garlic isn't REAL garlic :eek:

Cheers, Dave.

The worrying bit for me Jim is the is the capital letters claim on the tin that it is REAL bacon in their spam. Previous to that, there was never a doubt in my mind...the question just never arose. Now though, I am in a panic as to what exactly they put in their spam when it doesn't carry the REAL word....maybe the garlic isn't REAL garlic :eek:

Cheers, Dave.

Dave, Genuine offer on the garlic spam, if you want some.

Dave, Genuine offer on the garlic spam, if you want some.

Many thanks Jim, I assumed it was genuine from the start, because (sense of humour aside :D) you are a genuine type of guy. However, much as I appreciate your kind offer, I have enough for now and hopefully I will find more before I run out. I certainly hope so...I would never forgive myself if the fish in my local started self harming due to withdrawal symptoms :D

Cheers, Dave.

Now I am really peed off. Went into local Sainsburys, looked on the shelf....and lo and behold, there they were.... was lot's of little 200g tins of garlic spam :) Sadly, not only were they the tins that didn't have the 25% extra contents, but they also wanted £1.49 for them :mad: Call me tight if you like, but I'll be damned if I am paying nearly 50% more for a tin containing 25% less.

Hey ho, keep on searching :D

Cheers, Dave.

Back