• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Low stretch mono

Ben Jennings

Looking for a low stretch mono for my barbel rods. Don’t fancy braid and toying with fluro as that’s low stretch but just seeing if there’s anything else / other recommendations.

The only 'low stretch' line I've used as a main line is Drennan Double Strength (7lb@0.20mm) for chub fishing small rivers/streams but I binned it after a few sessions. It's "low stretch" as it's pre-stretched, so snap-offs are much more likely. Maybe it would be ok to use for distance fishing using forgiving rods and in 12lb bs (@0.26mm), but if I really thought I needed low stretch I'd go with 30lb braid with a mono or fluoro leader. Why the felt need for low stretch @Ben Jennings

You mean pre stretched copolymer line . Every tackle firm has a version .
ESP
Thinking Anglers
Gardner
Rigmarole
All good

Shimano Technium. Have used this a lot, 10% stretch, which is classed as low.

Esp syncro for me in ether 10lb or 12lb or even 15lb for carping cast well behaves well almost takes an over hang with it if you miss judge the cast 🤣 so really tough for it’s breaking strain.

Sinks of lovely, first time out you won’t love it but stick with it for a session or two or thump out a nice lead a couple of times a couple of cast and a fish or two it comes into its own gets so much nicer with use.

Esp syncro for me in ether 10lb or 12lb or even 15lb for carping cast well behaves well almost takes an over hang with it if you miss judge the cast 🤣 so really tough for it’s breaking strain.

Sinks of lovely, first time out you won’t love it but stick with it for a session or two or thump out a nice lead a couple of times a couple of cast and a fish or two it comes into its own gets so much nicer with use.
Great line!👍

I will add I do really like Daiwa tournament ST where I can’t use syncro for lower breaking strains it casts really well. Not always easy to get so end up with Guru line but that seems to need replacing more often than the others.

I am a fan of Kryston kryptonite, stupid name but apt. German and available in 1k reels for around 20 delivered. Got it on all my reels

Mimicry isn’t fashionable but a brilliant barbel mainline. Been using it for 4-5 seasons and never let me down
Simply does everything you want
Ironically I’m not that interested in the appearance of it, it’s the reliability that is impressive

I am a fan of Kryston kryptonite, stupid name but apt. German and available in 1k reels for around 20 delivered. Got it on all my reels
I used this for half a tench season around 2005-2006. What I didn't like was how dirty it became after a couple of sessions, becoming a dirty black colour which stood out like a sore thumb in clear water. I found the same with x-line, although Krystonite was a much better line in other departments than x-line. Didn't know it was German, always thought Kryston was an English company owned by Dave Chilton.

Looking for a low stretch mono for my barbel rods. Don’t fancy braid and toying with fluro as that’s low stretch but just seeing if there’s anything else / other recommendations.
You’ll get as many recommendations as there are members on here. If your existing line hasn’t let you down why change? If it has let you down I understand the question. For my Barbel rods I want abrasion resistance and confidence in what I’m using not the latest “fad” line which will change as soon as XYZ company brings out a new super line and some celebrity A N Other puts his name to it. My line is old hat but I’m confident in what it does.

Last edited:
I agree with Keith here can’t see the advantage in low stretch line. With the lunges and runs barbel do and go on I couldn’t think of anything worse.

Low stretch line is ok if your fishing tight to snags…….the rod should take up the lunges and runs or you might as well fish with a scaffold pole (or a harrison 😂)……fish snag swims with stretchy line and you could find yourself in a world of hurt……

.personally I don’t think you can beat good old GR60

Last edited:
I used this for half a tench season around 2005-2006. What I didn't like was how dirty it became after a couple of sessions, becoming a dirty black colour which stood out like a sore thumb in clear water. I found the same with x-line, although Krystonite was a much better line in other departments than x-line. Didn't know it was German, always thought Kryston was an English company owned by Dave Chilton.
Part of the Sportex group I believe. Yes agree with you about the colour,white / clear. But although it may get grubby, mud etc, it seen cleans up with use IE when used in clearer waters. Maybe to co polymer coating does that.

True story. I used Berkeley Big game for years, never let me down. I was fishing on the Wye for the second time and struggling. A certain Mr Trefor West came to talk to me and started to take the pee out of me( as he does) , but must have felt pity on the Northern numpty and told me exactly where I needed to cast to but I just couldn't hit the reflection on the river on the cast no matter how hard I tried.I was going to switch to a straight lead but TW wasn't having it. I had to get bait in.
I had a spare spool loaded with the Mimicry which I'd actually inherited when I bought a job lot of gear and never used ,so it was a gamble but needs must. Switched over from 15lb big game to 18lb low stretch mimicry and first cast, identical rod & reel set-up - I was on the money.
The difference in casting between the two lines was a good 25+ yards which was amazing really, but on that day was critical.
Found the pod and had some great sport. There was a lot of abuse on the line hauling good fish upstream through streamer reed ( when the Wye had weed!) at range. Plus regularly throwing 3-4oz loaded feeders on a pacy Wye which emptied them PDQ, also would take it's toll. Regularly checked the business end of the line , never had to cut it back all week, no malfunctions, worked brilliantly with a C3 . Have never looked back. It's all about confidence but sometimes a change can be necessary IMHO.
And who'd argue with Trefor?? ;)

Back