• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

lovely day on the wye.

George....please stop. You have no idea how much your posts are hurting after the season I have had on my local :p

Cheers, Dave.

Dave, my local is a trib of the Bristol Avon, 5 years ago you would struggle not to catch, but guess how many barbel i have had from there in the last 2 years.....you guessed it......0 :( (I am thinking of founding the 'bristol avon rod watchers club') , thats why i am taking the drive on the chin and getting up to hereford for some serious barbel therapy :D.
Didn't have much luck on the royalty a couple of weeks ago so the wye was my 'i must catch a ******* barbel at all costs' card, it was such a surprise when my rod tip moved on the first morning i nearly fell in!

Last edited:
Bristol Avon or Otter watch as I call it...

Also managed to get out on the Wye the last couple of days, founds some lovely fish averaging over 7 and biggest at 10.6. All fish in fantastic condition.

There's always one , leave it out Steve , it's on grass for pitys sake . Nice fish George a great day out indeed

agree with steve. stones/rocks just to the left of the fish, just one jump/move and it could result in damage. As for grass, hmmm, its pretty threadbare.

I love the idea of the picture, and i dont mean to be anal, but come on lads - hand on hearts - landing mats are essential for the well-being of the fish.

agree with steve. stones/rocks just to the left of the fish, just one jump/move and it could result in damage. As for grass, hmmm, its pretty threadbare.

I love the idea of the picture, and i dont mean to be anal, but come on lads - hand on hearts - landing mats are essential for the well-being of the fish.

That's rubbish -yes you are being anal - there is no possibility of the fish damaging itself. And it's an unhooking mat.

Get a grip soft lad , the fish is on the grass , you are being stupidly petty

this is brilliant!

I would however like to point out that these fish live and forage in the rough and rocky river wye...not a cotton wool factory.

I would however like to point out that these fish live and forage in the rough and rocky river wye...not a cotton wool factory.

Supported by water and swimming skills.

When I see Carp anglers slagged of on these boards,and the fish being called Cr-p ,it annoys me ,just because you cannot be ars-d to carry an unhooking matt,does not mean they are not needed.
I have seen even well known guides beaching big bream and chub in disgust,now that really does annoy me.

You can learn a lot from the Carp guys,respecting all species would be a start.

I once heard of a lad on a well known Trent venue, kick numerous bream into the water and laugh that they were floating bottom up in his peg. Fish should be given the respect they deserve what ever size of breed.
To add grass is good, gravel rocks are bad news so use an unhooking mat.

Supported by water and swimming skills.

When I see Carp anglers slagged of on these boards,and the fish being called Cr-p ,it annoys me ,just because you cannot be ars-d to carry an unhooking matt,does not mean they are not needed.
I have seen even well known guides beaching big bream and chub in disgust,now that really does annoy me.

You can learn a lot from the Carp guys,respecting all species would be a start.

Chris ,obviously these examples you give are very poor form and should be roundly decried however I still think this whole business regarding this particular fish is a storm in a tea cup . Yes the fish is not on an unhooking mat , there is a stone within shot , but the fish is laid on grass the chances of it coming to any harm are pretty minimal . As to whether the captor can't be bothered to use an unhooking mat , I have no clue , is one even needed ?

The subject of unhooking mats certainly ignite some pretty fireworks. For those that wish to slag off those that advocate their use ie ''soft lad'' etc is pretty miserable I reckon. I tell you what you come down South and call me a soft lad for using one you Northern Monkey:p

Dave, my local is a trib of the Bristol Avon, 5 years ago you would struggle not to catch, but guess how many barbel i have had from there in the last 2 years.....you guessed it......0 :( (I am thinking of founding the 'bristol avon rod watchers club') , thats why i am taking the drive on the chin and getting up to hereford for some serious barbel therapy :D.
Didn't have much luck on the royalty a couple of weeks ago so the wye was my 'i must catch a ******* barbel at all costs' card, it was such a surprise when my rod tip moved on the first morning i nearly fell in!

Really..?.my old stamping ground the BA, I know it's a real shame, spoke with my sisters partner last week he's had a grand total of ONE this season, and that's Peckingell being his main haunt :(

Not been much better on the WA but have had a few, but at least the Wye is not far and you can always guarantee yourself a couple...almost.
Perhaps the ultra low conditions have been the main factor in the slow sport, not Otter hopefully.

Ive had one from Peckingel in 4 visits but seen quite a few.

The subject of unhooking mats certainly ignite some pretty fireworks. For those that wish to slag off those that advocate their use ie ''soft lad'' etc is pretty miserable I reckon. I tell you what you come down South and call me a soft lad for using one you Northern Monkey:p

Slightly immoderate language I grant you Neil but I stand by my point . I am not slagging anyone off for advocating the use of unhooking mats , but I do think it is petty making such a song and dance about a fish laid on some damp grass which was at no real risk of coming to any harm at all . As others have said ,it spoilt what was initially a heartening and pleasant tale of a good days fishing for George . Anyway at risk of dragging this thread even further away from it's intended topic I will shut up :D

Back