• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

lovely day on the wye.

George Maltby

and christened the 'new' speedia.
river was really pushing through after the rain, still rising with loads of crud unfortunately but at a steady 10 degrees C all day. 4 barbel and a handfull of chub, all fish came late afternoon. no size, biggest pictured at just under 6 but still lovely fishing in 'proper' autumn conditions at last...whoever fishes the wye in the next few days is really gonna clean up as the water drops back, i think the water temp will remain high with the warmer weather forecast.

PA280073.jpg

Last edited:
that barbel looks as fresh as a daisy.
funny old weather, nearly November and I've just seen 2 huge wasps.

the picture will look better with a unhookingmatt behind the barbel i always use one. im not being sarcastic. just thinking about the safety off the fish.

Agreed, although i do think it totally irresponsible to use a landing net without a handle - shame on you George! :D

the picture will look better with a unhookingmatt behind the barbel i always use one. im not being sarcastic. just thinking about the safety off the fish.

There's always one , leave it out Steve , it's on grass for pitys sake . Nice fish George a great day out indeed

I did wonder how long it would be before someone mentioned the unhooking mat! I do have one with me for when the bank is stoney etc but it is totally unecessary on lush grassy banks.
No the fish were not taken on the float, they were on the feeder, two 10mm pellets on the hair and a further 10mm pellet banded to the hook shank, cast to a crease about 15yrds out (nothing complicated, thats the beauty of wye barbel fishing in my experience).
I did the speedia with notromores (painstakingly!) and brasso steve, aswell as a tooth brush and lighter fluid to get 50 years of grease and a grit out the mechanism, worth it though...its a lovely little reel to use ledgering (its the wide drummed model).

Last edited:
guys if you haven,t an unhooking mat and theres a need for one just whip your coat off and use the outside of that;)

Well done George. lovely fish and picture. Regarding the unhooking mat I'm in full agreement with the sensible approach that most of the members have mentioned. I.E. the fish is clearly on lush grass and is in no danger. An outbreak of sensible comments on BFW!! whatever next?
By the way. this is my first post under my new user name, so hi to everyone.

Pete

had another awesome day on the wye today, had 10 barbs to 7lb 12oz. unbelievable day with awesome weather and a high and coloured river,.......perfect.....on any other river it would be unbelievable, but on the wye you kind of get the feeling its about par for the course, wish i lived localy.

had another awesome day on the wye today, had 10 barbs to 7lb 12oz. unbelievable day with awesome weather and a high and coloured river,.......perfect.....on any other river it would be unbelievable, but on the wye you kind of get the feeling its about par for the course, wish i lived localy.

George....please stop. You have no idea how much your posts are hurting after the season I have had on my local :p

Cheers, Dave.

George....please stop. You have no idea how much your posts are hurting after the season I have had on my local :p

Cheers, Dave.

And also for those of us who couldn't get down to the Wye this year. Had ten days last year and it really boosted my confidence and enthusiasm. To catch ten barbel in a season on my local is an achievement never mind a day.
Though George I do share your sentiment and wish it was a bit closer to home.

Cheers, Dave.

Dave, my local is a trib of the BA, 5 years ago you would struggle not to catch, but guess how many barbel i have had from there in the last 2 years.....you guessed it......0 :( (I am thinking of founding the 'bristol avon rod watchers club') , thats why i am taking the drive on the chin and getting up to hereford for some serious barbel therapy :D.
Didn't have much luck on the royalty a couple of weeks ago so the wye was my 'i must catch a ******* barbel at all costs' card, it was such a surprise when my rod tip moved on the first morning i nearly fell in!

Last edited:
Back