• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Looks like fishing from this Wednesday

Pre lockdown, in fact for most of my life I have prefered fishing alone, or with probably just the one friend, so the forthcoming race to to the ponds and lakes would not be my cup of tea anyway,I would stick to the close season as was, or flick fluff, or fish the beaches.
What I cannot understand it the desperate need shown by some to wet a line at the feeblest excuse, and the exasperation shown by others at not being allowed to fish. It wont kill anybody to give it a miss, we all used to without question, so what is the difference now ?
I think that the Govt is trying to please everybody up to a point, but imo It is only causing , as a whole, more confusion than clarity, lets see what this amazing 50 page document brings..... I am not holding my breath.

David

Pre lockdown, in fact for most of my life I have prefered fishing alone, or with probably just the one friend, so the forthcoming race to to the ponds and lakes would not be my cup of tea anyway,I would stick to the close season as was, or flick fluff, or fish the beaches.
What I cannot understand it the desperate need shown by some to wet a line at the feeblest excuse, and the exasperation shown by others at not being allowed to fish. It wont kill anybody to give it a miss, we all used to without question, so what is the difference now ?
I think that the Govt is trying to please everybody up to a point, but imo It is only causing , as a whole, more confusion than clarity, lets see what this amazing 50 page document brings..... I am not holding my breath.

David

I wouldn’t Normally fish in the close season but may have a dabble next week... the desperate need for people to wet a line is because they are bored shitless and have probably decorated the house 3 times.....and landscaped the garden it’s not good for people’s mental health to be locked away... imagine if you have been in a flat for the past 6 weeks not allowed out then someone says you can go fishing... its not a feeble excuse...it’s a no brainer

A friend of mine text me to tell me that his club of which has only 16 pegs, 8 pegs will be available every day , you have to text to book on , those not working can fish first during the day , those that are working can fish evenings or weekends , cleaning lock yourself before and after you leave .

Seems there is a bit more clarity in the document ... from ITV news.....

The government has updated its advice on outdoor activity, after evidence showed the "risk of infection outside is significantly lower than inside".

From Wednesday people may go outdoors"as many times each day as they wish," the document says, as opposed to just for one hour, as was previously the rule.

For example, this includes angling, tennis, picnics and even sunbathing.

People can only meet with up to one person from outside their household – this means people should not play team sports, except with members of your own household.

Anyone meeting with someone outside their household should stay two metres away from them.

People are still not able to use areas like playgrounds, outdoor gyms or ticketed outdoor leisure venues, where there is a higher risk of close contact and touching surfaces.

People may also "drive to outdoor open spaces irrespective of distance", so long as they respect social distancing guidance while they are there.

When travelling to outdoor spaces, it is important that people respect the rules in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and "do not travel to different parts of the UK".

David

Aye, il 2nd that, fishing a lake is like shooting a rabbit in a hutch.😁
Completely understand the sentiment but I think it depends. I mean if we’re talking about some pond with more Roach than water and 4000 5lb Puddle Pigs, I totally agree and it’s not really my thing, probably do that once a year for a giggle. There’s some largish gravel pits round here though with low stock densities and plenty of features, these do take work to sus out and again not really my thing that’s probably where il be going. Probably focusing on light lure stuff hunting the predators, I may do a bit of Tench fishing once the predictable immediate rush subsides.

I was intending to carp fish this year but given the likely crowds will probably wait till the 16th and go on the river. That is always assuming we're not back under lock-down by then of course. Pretty confident if I go on the Cherwell I can socially distance at 2 miles never mind 2 meters!

I was intending to carp fish this year but given the likely crowds will probably wait till the 16th and go on the river. That is always assuming we're not back under lock-down by then of course. Pretty confident if I go on the Cherwell I can socially distance at 2 miles never mind 2 meters!
This may depend not only on the situation at large but the perceived risk level of the activity. I guess we just have to wait and see what happens. To my mind it’s all about the “new normal” and adapting to the situation, it’s not going to magically go back to normal any time soon, I think we all know that. 🤞

If I remember correctly the announcement stated you could travel any distance but must return home the same day. That would mean no night fishing.

Back