• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

looking good

Went for a few hours on the upper Lea yesterday, not the super popular stretch. Air temp was 13C and river flow was about average. Hoping for some nice roach and it wasn't to be. 1 small chub and a few half decent Perch to my trotted maggots. That is until I connected with a heavy, slow, and strong fish which I was convinced was one of the rare carp, until I got it over the net and it was a pristine Barbel about 8lb!
Shortly after I hooked another, slightly smaller but the hook pinged out as I was drawing it over the net, let's call that a long distance catch and release.
Great afternoon and home by 6.00pm.

Thames is warming up, literally and metaphorically.

The bream were feeding yesterday.…..
And today, 3 more decent ones (one double) in a 2 hour session. And that is despite using big baits to deter them.

If I could find a barbel it would be feeding……

I noticed on my local Yorkshire Ouse the difference a change in water temperature makes from 5c to 7c plus ..Certainly more reports coming through but still a struggle through the day as the level drops back down.
Finger crossed I get a second December Barbel on my session this Friday. Maggots riddled off a looking good 👌

The weather starts dropping tonight, not sure about the river condition, hopefully can catch something this weekend.

Attachments

• 16397514903332189627613078506290.jpg
    16397514903332189627613078506290.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 103
Was desperate to fish yesterday to escape my wifes xmas planning.Couldnt face the drive to north yorks only to blank again so decided to fish a small local pond with floatfished maggot solely to get bites.Started catching small roach and perch from the off then small chub up to a pound and a half moved in much to my suprise.I havn"t fished there for a while and didn"t know they had been stocked. A local who fished came round walking his dog and we ended up chatting.He had only been fishing the length on the Nidd I normaly fish the day before and landed a 10lb 12oz barbel!.That really spoiled my day.Stay safe all and have a great christmas.

I was out in that cold snap week or two back Adrian and ended up catching some still water Chub. First run I thought they were small Carp because they took off. Certainly made a nice bit of sport on an otherwise bleak day.

And today, 3 more decent ones (one double) in a 2 hour session. And that is despite using big baits to deter them.

If I could find a barbel it would be feeding……
2 more bream yesterday. 1 double. Completely different from the day before - only had 2 bites and that took 4 hours. I was getting knocks and pulls virtually every cast on Thursday.

weather on the turn with a cold wind blowing.

Feeding window closing fast…..another chance missed.

Back