• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

looking good

Was out Friday and yesterday. Not a touch. Finished work early so thinking of popping up today but also tempted to go back to bed for a bit lol

It's been tough over the last week I also thought that with this first bit of a flush, that it would go. Wrong.
The river was carrying loads of debris and I guess a load of crap off of the roads. I struggled today and yesterday.
More rain please, to clean it out properly.
I'm also noticed very little in the way of fish topping. Especially yesterday.

I thought it should be good so I went out yesterday, the river is up about a meter, and the current is strong. I blanked but caught loads tree sticks and weeds, but no fish.

Went out Sunday . . .WA up and in good colour, mild weather window - thought I'd haul. Blanked but managed to watch the entire Grand Prix on my mobile (even after spilling hot soup all over it) which although also disappointing made up for the scratchy fishing . . .

I managed one very cold feeling chub on the Wye Sunday and missed two solid bite. The river was high and felt cold.

I was shooting in mid Wales yesterday and by the end of the day the roads were virtually underwater as it rained hard in the afternoon/evening.

The rivers that I saw on Sunday on the way up there already looked close to bank high.

For those of you hoping to fish further down the Wye and Severn there is a lot of water heading your way……

YES - got out yesterday 530am fished until 2pm.... not a sausage! Which is super strange as you say was ripe for a bite or too. I think I was too early for the window and something tells me it will be 4pm to 6pm. I will try that tomorrow!

With the title of this thread being "Looking Good", I'm minded of how, with reference to urban myth, Wittgenstein summed up the depth and breadth of his knowledge after a life-time's studious exchanges with Bertrand Russell .... (to paraphrase!) ...
"Things are not always what they appear to be."

lol Terry, exactly what I was thinking !! i don't feel quite so bad missing out this week but as said I am surprised it hasn't fished better ?

Upper was bang on to the eye yesterday, cast in, 15 mins later, both rods were pulling round with crap coming down, temp was 10.4 c blankety blank,,,,,,

Fished Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday on the Hants Avon. First light and through into a couple of hours of darkness. Nothing on Monday and was glad I had slipped my Kindle into my bag. A Gudgeon, a Minnow and a lost Sea Trout on Tuesday and five Sea Trout and a small dace yesterday. Had a different feeling about it yesterday though (possibly just in my head) and at least had a few enquiries on boilie & paste into darkness. Maybe today is the day, but back at work.

The water temperature has risen from high 5s on Sunday to exactly 10c today and the river looked about as perfect as it could at moderate winter levels, so really fancied my chances. Feel a bit despondent today, to say the least.

Sorry to see that others have struggled somewhat too, but also glad I’m not the only one 😜

What’s Golf like?

Back