• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lockdown returns...

Hi Mark, I get that the commercials were rammed, and it would be easy to control numbers if there was a willingness to do so. My point is rivers would not have the same problem, and add that as a general rule we understand the rules applicable regarding distancing etc.
It's not a similar scenario to any other pastime in that we practice isolation as a requirement.
Of course match fishing would not be allowed.

Think its more the fact that you are having to drive to get to the river and they dont want people driving unless essential.

Agreed Paul.

And the bottom line is nobody can guarantee that they aren't going to be involved in an RTA which puts pressure on the emergency services or that their vehicle will break down en-route requiring you to come into contact with the breakdown services etc. And at some point your vehicle needs to be refueled - the less trips to the filling station the better.

And inevitably there would be those who decided to not to stay local and would travel across the country to different venues.

I can see why you would feel aggrieved if you are able to walk-up to your local river, but we just have to suck it up and get on with it.

Covid-19
Statement from the Angling Trust: Update January 7th 2021
The Government have now formally responded to the representations made by the Angling Trust. We have promoted the huge benefits of fishing on individual health and wellbeing and have been able to present a case to which the Government have listened. On this basis I am pleased to announce that fishing will be permitted during the third national lockdown.

The Head of Sports Participation at DCMS confirmed the following:

“fishing is allowed as exercise so long as participants adhere to the rules on staying local, gathering limits, social distancing and limiting the time spent outdoors”

This has also been confirmed by DEFRA:

“Cabinet Office have now officially confirmed that angling / fishing (incl. sea fishing off private boats, water sports) can be considered exercise and are hence permitted.”

We have worked extremely hard to reach this position and we as anglers have a duty to abide by the strict conditions under which fishing is once again permitted. With infection rates and death tolls rising we must stick to the Government’s rules and ensure that angling remains part of the solution and does not cause problems.

Please bear in mind these key points which will be reflected in the new Angling Trust guidelines which we will publish shortly:

• This is a strictly limited resumption of LOCAL fishing and very different to how we have been allowed to operate since May.
  • We are in a National Lockdown and this must be respected. The law requires a ‘reasonable excuse’ to leave your home or penalties will apply.
  • The Government has recognised that fishing can be seen as exercise, which is expressly permitted under the lockdown rules, although outdoor recreation is not.
  • Organised sporting gatherings are prohibited so no match fishing.
  • The exercise is limited to once a day so no overnight fishing whatsoever.
  • To remain within the law you should follow the Government’s guidance, and only fish locally within the district where you live. If you have no local fishing available then you will have to take your daily exercise in other ways.
We are once again able to enjoy the sport we love at a time when many others cannot and we must ensure that every angler adheres to the rules.

I would ask all anglers who are not members to join the Angling Trust and give us your support. We have worked tirelessly to achieve this outcome and that is only possible thanks to the support of our new and existing members. I would ask all anglers who value their ability to go fishing to make the same commitment as your fellow anglers have and join the Angling Trust. We are stronger together!

Join the Angling Trust today

Stay safe and very best fishes

Jamie Cook
Chief Executive, Angling Trust

Hallelujah! Having just put my fishing gear away, i can now get it out! At least the weather is not really conducive to anything but ice fishing at the moment. Minus 4 outside at the moment with freezing fog.

Her but! I am in the lucky position of having a reasonable canal reservoir in walking distance but if pushed may still keep in my district council area by driving down to a local and see if any barbel or chub will cooperate.

Agreed Paul.

And the bottom line is nobody can guarantee that they aren't going to be involved in an RTA which puts pressure on the emergency services or that their vehicle will break down en-route requiring you to come into contact with the breakdown services etc. And at some point your vehicle needs to be refueled - the less trips to the filling station the better.

And inevitably there would be those who decided to not to stay local and would travel across the country to different venues.

I can see why you would feel aggrieved if you are able to walk-up to your local river, but we just have to suck it up and get on with it.
Well, common sense prevailed....good lad Boris.

I guess we are all used to the u-turns by now.

I listened to him on Sunday tell Andrew Marr that he had "no doubt that it was safe for schools to stay open". 36hrs later he then announces they will have to close!

Keep local is reasonable, puts the blocks on my Avon Salmon fishing from FEB 1st, but it may change, but in the meantime I have miles of the lower Thames and some pits within 3 miles of my front door, local enough I would think.

Just been told your allowed to go fishing again

I listened to him on Sunday tell Andrew Marr that he had "no doubt that it was safe for schools to stay open". 36hrs later he then announces they will have to close!

Was the fishing thing a U Turn? Or was it a case of a generic rule was brought in, the AT requested clarification and on first read the answer was “it’s unlikely” then on official response the answer was “yes with caveats”. I genuinely don’t know the answer there but that’s my loose understanding.

Was the fishing thing a U Turn? Or was it a case of a generic rule was brought in, the AT requested clarification and on first read the answer was “it’s unlikely” then on official response the answer was “yes with caveats”. I genuinely don’t know the answer there but that’s my loose understanding.

Your probably right Stephen.

Brrrr , Brrrr, Brrrr , a cold and miserable blank on the humber,10 minutes down the road , missed the one drop back bite , great to be able to go again though, bloody nice coffee , long may it last for everyone .

Your continuous berating of Boris is getting tiresome, this virus does not stand still, it moves around by people, and things change quickly. A U turn is needed to keep on top of things, and shows he does listen, and is not arrogant.

Your continuous berating of Boris is getting tiresome, this virus does not stand still, it moves around by people, and things change quickly. A U turn is needed to keep on top of things, and shows he does listen, and is not arrogant.

Continous berating Neil?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210108-191710_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210108-191710_Chrome.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Back