• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Loading new line on a reel ?

Joe Fletcher

No Longer a Member
Any one suffer with line twist when loading new line on a fixed spool reel ?
Over the years having tried many different ways of loading new line on to a reel
I all ways seem to end up with line twist :( Any one know how to overcome this problem ?

soak the line overnight then load on reel line same direction as it comes off the spool

Best way IMO bottom section of your rod then line goes just thru the butt eye then get someone to put a pencil thru the spool tell them to keep slight pressure with their thumbs on the spool make sure the line comes off from the bottom of the spool
the other thing I always do is bowl of warm water squirt of washing up liquid then rinse an old flannel or cloth and as you wind the line on pinch it in the cloth to keep the same constant tension on
this has the added advantage of cleaning any grease or contaminates and will help the line to sink quicker

OR
single handed operation use the excellent line station
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Berkley-Tool-Portable-Spooling-Station/dp/B000E7SZ42

I dont use fixed spool reels but i remember how.

Point spool of reel towards spool of line. Observe the direction of rotation of bail arm when turning reel handle. Match this direction of rotation with that of line coming off the spool. If it is the same then carry on. If it is opposite then turn the spool of line over and carry on.

I used to lightly grip the spool of line with my feet (with socks on) and vary pressure to ensure tight lay on reel.

I use the same method as Gerry, but recently purchased a line loading tool from China. It clamps to a table and takes most spools of line with adjustable pressure to add a little tension.
However, just remember, if you use a baitrunner reel and play a fish on the clutch, these actions impart twist in your line. So occasionally take your rod down a park or playing field, where the grass is short. Attach a heavy lead and swivel, walk out about 50 yards with the bale arm open, close the bale and rewind the line back on as you walk back to the lead. By keeping a little tension on, the swivel will spin removing most of the twists.

Similar to Gerry, i'll put the spool of line in a full bucket of slightly soapy water, then thread the end of the line through a couple of rod rings, and attach to the reel spool. As you wind the line on to the reel, the spool of line will jump around in the bucket untwisting itself, before it goes onto the reel. :)

I tend to load maybe 5m of line off one end of the spool and see if I'm getting any twist. If so I load from other side. If I get twist off both sides I load with spool side on, rotating on a pencil or something to hand. To eliminate twist on spooled up line I allow 50m or so to drift downstream, then reel it in slowly. No prob.

Iv struggled in the past with line twist but have loaded 4reels over the last year with no twist.as others say make sure it goes on the way it's coming off the spool of line.i fill a jug with water and put the line in that (making sure it can't tip over) and put a heavy lead on the top and just grip the line with my fingers and wind away.water stops any friction burns.

I just go down the local field walk out the line. Cut and wind in. It's fantastic up North because there's loads of space to to this. Well for now.

I tend to load maybe 5m of line off one end of the spool and see if I'm getting any twist. If so I load from other side. If I get twist off both sides I load with spool side on, rotating on a pencil or something to hand. To eliminate twist on spooled up line I allow 50m or so to drift downstream, then reel it in slowly. No prob.

Hi Terry, i remember reading somewhere, that if your loading the reel from one end of the spool of line, you do it with the end with the label or sticker on facing the reel. Never tried it myself, i always use the bucket of water method, as it always seems to work. :)

Get married, wait 20 years then follow the instructions in post #2 with partner holding the spool under slight tension by running the line through an old tea towel.

I think I have found a easy way to load new line on to my reels :)
Went in to my back garden ( grass lawn ) with my spool of new line and a screw driver . Stuck the screw driver through the new spool of line and stuck the screwdriver in to the ground , Threaded the line through the eyes of the rod and on to the empty spool of the reel . Fixed the the line to the spool and wound the new line on to my reel . With no line twist :)

I think I have found a easy way to load new line on to my reels :)
Went in to my back garden ( grass lawn ) with my spool of new line and a screw driver . Stuck the screw driver through the new spool of line and stuck the screwdriver in to the ground , Threaded the line through the eyes of the rod and on to the empty spool of the reel . Fixed the the line to the spool and wound the new line on to my reel . With no line twist :)

Sounds like a plan Joe.

Do you still use the Penns? as you may know when playing a Pixham lump the slipping clutch might be the reason you are experiencing line twist, I admit I prefer to back wind, not may I add that nice problem to have occurred much last season.:rolleyes:

Perhaps that any amount of care whilst loading the line will be undone soon after midnight on the 16th :(

Interesting comment there Neil, I'm sure I'm having more line twist since I started using Penn's....They have some very positive points over the Shimano 4000 OC's that I also have but do have to regularly "de-twist" my line!!

Sounds like a plan Joe.

Do you still use the Penns? as you may know when playing a Pixham lump the slipping clutch might be the reason you are experiencing line twist, I admit I prefer to back wind, not may I add that nice problem to have occurred much last season.:rolleyes:

Perhaps that any amount of care whilst loading the line will be undone soon after midnight on the 16th :(

Yes Neil I still have the Penns and this time when I loaded the new line .It appears with no line twist . Will have to wait and see what happens when the new season starts . It wont be long now :)

Back