• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Line deterioration on Berkley Big Game

Andy Millichamp

Having been broken twice recently above the lead, I spent some time at the weekend checking the line with an old spring balance.

I'm using Big Game Clear in 10lb and a piece of unused line fresh from the original bulk spool broke at over 12lbs — about as expected from reports elsewhere.

But a piece of line from my reel broke at a shocking 5lbs!

I pulled a few more pieces off both my reels and they varied between 5lbs and 7lbs. Then I stripped line off a reel until I reached virgin line, and it still broke at 5lbs, so nothing to do with stretching, abrasion etc.

The line has been on since October (too long, I know).

Has anyone else experienced this?

Just to add, in case it's useful to somebody, I also tested some hook length material while I was in testing mode:

Ultima Power Plus 10lb 28mm: broke at 10lb
Ultima Power Steel 10lb 29mm: broke at 13lb

Interesting results I thought.

Strange, are you sure its genuine Big Game (US spec)?
My 12lb (bought in US) breaks at about 18lb, 10lb at about 15lb.
I always use the 12lb and have never suffered any degradation other than through abrasion or stretching after extended use.

Stephen

Several years a go I had a bad batch/ spool of Big Game with a similar problem , i.e breaking well below its indicated BS , I still use it virtually exclusively, no problem what so ever

One thing that people don't take into account is line twist

This will massively reduce the capacity of any line

So I'd like me , you use a baitrunner and play fish of the clutch, when ever I get a breakage I let the flow of the river empty my spool , not totally , but more than enough , then retrieve slowly with a little pressure on the line from thumb and index finger . This lets all the twist unspin naturally

Strange, are you sure its genuine Big Game (US spec)?
I don't know how I'd tell if it's genuine, I'll have a closer look when I get home. I bought it on Ebay, the seller is still selling it (see here) and glancing at his feedback, I'd say he sells a lot of it. But I did notice that the listing says Made in Japan — whereas the lo-vis green line that Ted Carter is selling on Ebay (at a much greater price) clearly says Made in USA in the photos.

Interesting to read that Mike had a bad batch a few years ago.

Stephen, I've seen spools like this in my local tackle shop but it did have line on more suitable for sea fishing as it was 25lb and hi viz.

Cannot honestly see anyone being able to sell a spool of that size, of GENUINE Big Game for that price ! You'd pay 4 times that or more from a tackle shop !
I use it in 8 thru to 12lbs and can't think that I've had and problems with it ! And to be honest I really don't re-spool that often !

Here's a couple of better pics from Ebay. They all say made in Japan, so I suspect it is a genuine product but made for the Japanese market ... and maybe of lesser quality (which is why it is cheap). If it was just fake Berkley, it would probably say Made in USA to copy the American stuff. And the barcode looks like a Berkley code.

big-game.jpg

Andy

I have seen this issue before.
On my "Made in USA" spooled line:
0.011" diameter is rated 8lb (breaks at about 12lbs)
0.012" diameter is rated 10lb (breaks at about 15lbs)
0.014" diameter is rated 12lb (breaks at about 18lbs)

I have seen the genuine stuff in shops at Chapmans Angling and at Climax Tackle.

Stephen

Is the genuine stuff the one that comes in the box?

big game

I had a problem with it once knotted. It had been on my reels for less than a season and seemed ok but once I tied a BLOOD/GRINNER/PALOMAR knot it snapped way below its BS. Rather than fish with it I went home and bought some ProGold.. This is ok but for some reason seems to twist in the strangest places?
I also had problems with Drennan float fish that broke under BS, returned it to Drennan and they replaced it with another line of theirs.

Never had a problem with genuine Big Game. If the line off the spool is breaking at over 12lb then it sounds to me like you may have unkowingly exposed your reels to something causing the deterioration. (light/heat/chemicals - could be any number of things)

Since you have miles of the stuff for a fiver just strip it off and start again. Must say i would have reservations about buying line that cheap, at less than £10 for 1500yds for the genuine US spec stuff from a tackle shop it's not exactly expensive line anyway.

Looking at my bulk spool of 10lb big game i bought off e-bay a couple of years ago,it states made in USA and the average diameter says it's .012 dia where has the spools above say it's 011 dia.Dont know which is the real stuff but had no problems with mine

Cannot honestly see anyone being able to sell a spool of that size, of GENUINE Big Game for that price ! You'd pay 4 times that or more from a tackle shop !
I use it in 8 thru to 12lbs and can't think that I've had and problems with it ! And to be honest I really don't re-spool that often !
He has been selling it for ages at that price, i have it on 10 and 12 and have never had a problem with it at all.

Bought the same myself in 12lb, been on the spool a while. If I have to pull for a break the mainline never goes. The braid hook length in the same line strength is where it breaks for me. Always get the weight back, sometimes a bit quicker than I want.
Shaun of the nearly at times.

I also got some from Ebay.I've not put it on a reel yet but it seems quite "springy" to most other monos I've used.Is that normal ?
Phil.W

Back