• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Let's discuss mainline...

I've used Diawa Infinity Camo ever since it's been around. It's been totally reliable and I see no reason to change until it becomes unavailable. I don't do 'flavour of the month' stuff.

Hi Chris

I assume you mean 'Infinity Duo' which has a green and black (ish) camo pattern and is IGFA rated meaning that the specifications are accurate for the BS? The 14lb has a diameter of .27 which is quite low for 14lb BS.

If so, I used it for several seasons in 11lb then 14lb BS and at first thought it was superb but kept getting breakages when fishing in heavy weed conditions such as found on the HAvon in summer.

Since then I won't use anything below .33 diameter and first tried Korda carp line which I found pretty awful to be honest, followed by the Syncro XT loaded in 15lb BS which so far I have had no problems with, but as stated in a previous post I rarely need to do more than a gentle underarm 'lob' so don't have casting problems.

Hi Chris

I assume you mean 'Infinity Duo' which has a green and black (ish) camo pattern and is IGFA rated meaning that the specifications are accurate for the BS? The 14lb has a diameter of .27 which is quite low for 14lb BS.

If so, I used it for several seasons in 11lb then 14lb BS and at first thought it was superb but kept getting breakages when fishing in heavy weed conditions such as found on the HAvon in summer.

Since then I won't use anything below .33 diameter and first tried Korda carp line which I found pretty awful to be honest, followed by the Syncro XT loaded in 15lb BS which so far I have had no problems with, but as stated in a previous post I rarely need to do more than a gentle underarm 'lob' so don't have casting problems.
Yep, Duo.

Hi Chris

Bloody hell, how much stress were you putting on the line to have it break in weed? I've had double figure barbel fight back much harder than weed! 😆

Have been a Berkley big game user for decades until recently when my trusty tackle dealer (one of the first carp anglers in Germany here) advised me to go for the Gardner lines, particularly the Hydrotuff.

He said its a Big Game on steroids and that the Big Game is a reliable but technically "old" line.

Tried the Gardner hydrotuff and I have to say what he said is true. Its an incredibly good line, not too expensive and ultra reliable. Always hard to make a switch from a line you trust and have used for decades but in this case I had instant confidence. Well recommended and interesting to see that many here seem to use them as well.

Hi men,

Other than a dabble with Xline , it's been GR60 in the green for decades , lower it in the edge and see how good it looks , and great abrasive resistance . God knows how long iv been using it , but Leslie's of Luton gave me a early spool of it to try.

In my carp fishing iv just switched over to Avid camo outline , and it's proving good as well.

Hatter
I agree, gr60 is bulletproof

I am struggling to find a mainline that I love and am confident in breaking strain, abbrasion resistance, low diameter and concealment. I don't really like to use braided mainline for barbel. I would love to hear what you guys use and trust for your barbel fishing! Cost of the spool doesn't matter for me, mainline is worth an investment.

To name a few that I have used;
Daiwa Sensor Monofil
Guru Pulse
Guru Drag 🥉
Pallatrax Gamma 🥈
Daiwa Hypersensor

Show me a line which commands a 🥇
Korda subline 12lb

Another vote the esp synchro, I’ve had no problems use it in 10lb on the river 15lb carp fishing
I think the b/s line test of the 10lb is approx 14lb and the 15lb is 21lb 👍

I am struggling to find a mainline that I love and am confident in breaking strain, abbrasion resistance, low diameter and concealment. I don't really like to use braided mainline for barbel. I would love to hear what you guys use and trust for your barbel fishing! Cost of the spool doesn't matter for me, mainline is worth an investment.

To name a few that I have used;
Daiwa Sensor Monofil
Guru Pulse
Guru Drag 🥉
Pallatrax Gamma 🥈
Daiwa Hypersensor

Show me a line which commands a 🥇
15lb Diawa j braid you can’t go far wrong with it. Expensive but it does me well. And forget the abrasion stuff people talk about around steel chains on pontoons it doesn’t snap. 0.18mm perfect line 👍

fox exocet i’m told is very good … but if it ain’t broke …….
It’s brilliant I use the 18 for snaggy Thames carping the 15 is great for barbel just not as good as braid for them in my opinion

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 113
Back