• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lead wire

Ben Whitehouse

Afternoon,

For you guys who use lead wire wrapped around your hook shank for rolling
Meat, where do you get it from? Do you use the medium width stuff that people use for tying flies as this looks a little thin. I had some ready loaded partridge hooks that I bought off trefor west but have now run out.

Thanks for any advice. Cheers. Bw

Hi all
One thing that I've always wondered about on this is is it legal after all it is a lead fishing weight under a ounce.

Tatty.

Tatty,
I am pretty sure it is not legal which is probably why you have had such a huge amount of replies !!

mike

The legality here is maybe not applicable. How does this particular law effect the use of leadcore?

Also, in how Ben started the thread, common sense should prevail - I know that I would rather consume a number of tidal trent feeders before a hook that has been wrapped in lead wire to add to its weight.

Hi men,

Leagle or not , I use the lead strip on a rol with sticky back that glaziers use to put on glass to give the effect of leaded lights. It's non slip , can be rolled really neat , and trimmed for differing conditions. I used it in the 80,s for counter balancing popups when carp fishing , and I gave it to some of my friends who found it did not damage the line in anyway . Usefull when blasting baits out at Harefield at the time . It was on the banks of that famous lake I bumped into Kevin Nash . Over a cuppa I exchanged my idea for a spool of the latest braid that he was testing . He put it on , trimmed the lead strip to critically balance his hookbait , turned and gave me a wink . It was not released due to the lead ban .

I obviously use a " substitute " version :rolleyes:

Hatter

Last edited:
Or you could try any fly tying mail order company.
Lead wire or the heavier tungsten wire is frequently used for tying flies......Try Sportfish @ Winforton for starters.

Plumbers or electricians solder will do the trick, get it from Maplin. It also comes in all diameters.
I remember once having a discussion with Scuba about the different density (weight for volume) of the lead solder and the lead free solder, the difference was negligible.

Wow Mark, you met Kevin Nash.....:eek::D

i just use rig putty(heavy metal etc) and then use eletriciains shrink tube on it..very neat and does a great job too..also kind to the fishes mouth too..

luke

i just use rig putty(heavy metal etc) and then use eletriciains shrink tube on it..very neat and does a great job too..also kind to the fishes mouth too..

luke

I assume then Luke that when you heat the tubing to shrink it into place (steam it or whatever) it doesn't cause the rig putty to go gooey and run out?

Cheers, Dave.

Tatty,
I am pretty sure it is not legal which is probably why you have had such a huge amount of replies !!

mike

It is perfectly legal, as are flies with lead wire in the dressing, lead core leaders, size 8 and under shot, lead on swim feeders and self cocking floats etc. :)

It is perfectly legal, as are flies with lead wire in the dressing, lead core leaders, size 8 and under shot, lead on swim feeders and self cocking floats etc. :)

Incorrect read without trying to be clever ,wire is lead and is used as a weight
,taken from EA website

i) Subject to ii) below, no person shall use for taking salmon,
trout, freshwater fish or eels in any waters within the
Agency's area any fishing line to which is attached, directly
or indirectly, any lead in the form of a lead weight.
ii) This does not prohibit the use of a lead weight of 0.06
grams or less, or of more than 28.35 grams.
For the purposes of this Byelaw:-
• "lead" includes any alloy or compound of lead;
"lead weight" means split shot or any other thing suitable
for weighting fishing lines which is neither incorporated
and fully enclosed in the core of a fishing line nor
incorporated in the construction of a swim-feeder, a selfcocking
float or a fishing lure;
• "fishing lure" means any device, including a fishing fly,
which is designed to attract fish and which incorporates a
fishing hook.
NB. This is a national byelaw.

mike

Last edited:
I'm more than happy to be proved wrong.

Write to them and ask.

I did. :)

Fair comment Mike - from reading this lead is seemingly indirectly attached...

Policing this would be a nightmare & (probably) only undertaken where the RSPB has highlighted associated problems observed in local wildfowl populations ie the EAs risk based approach to regulation

Cheers, Jon

John,
I actually don't have a problem with this method,I just find that this holier than Thou attitude by some guys on this board annoying
Always trying to be clever when it is obvious if you read the EA laws that it is not strictly legal,of course add the word substitute with a smiley and you become all conquering

made my point and thats all I intended

mike

Back