• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lead style

Simple running rig for me , with just a swivel and bead approach , lighter hook link than the main line for most barbel fishing , and a simple 2 hook pennel rig for winter cod fishing with a similar approach slightly lighter hook length , the american snap swivel that holds the weight or swimfeeder clips open if they get snagged. Have not felt the need to use other stuff , but if others do does not bother me at all .

Hi men ,

Me and Sue loved stalking them , eye to eye stuff , and this also showed how inefficient our rigs can be . One thing that sight feeding showed us , on many many occasions , was that I would have to be dragged screaming back to running rigs compared to a leadclip setup . Iv seen many many times a barbel move of taking line through a running rig , with the rig skipping across the bottom , not really what I want . With a leadclip the lead is always following the fish , lifting it from snaggy bottoms and doing a job pulling the hook home . It helped with my PVA bag fishing , again through watching in tap clear water there was excessive separation . The point of the swivel clicking into the clip was it was designed like that so that the lead ejects if it gets caught on anything , which again iv had .

We all fish how we want , there is no wrong or right way , and we are also very very lucky that barbel are born with "anti-eject" mouths over ridding our ability's sometimes 😜

Hatter

Last edited:
Iv seen many many times a barbel move of taking line through a running rig , with the rig skipping across the bottom , not really what I want .

if we want to make a running lead semi fixed, why not use a float stop or two just above the lead. I use light leads and a stop anywhere between two inches to a foot above it. some takes are only small movements, but why does a barbel have to give a three foot twitch anyway?

That looks like a lot of hardware for zero advantage/benefit. Can you explain what it offers over a straight running lead rig?

The 'advantage/benefit' is that you can fish it semi fixed when you want to, also useful when negotiating tricky casts under tree branches. But move the ring off the clip and it's full running, bringing a more touch ledgering scenario into play. Solar used to make something very similar, just a soft rubber bead that would push over a swivel, but it had a notch you could push a running rig over. Sadly the solar clips are no longer made.

Back