• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lead style

Free running lead 99% of the time.

I have used inline leads (the avid ones) when using shorter hooklengths (for me that is anything under 2ft) for spooky fish smaller rivers, usually back leaded as well. The sort of conditions where I'm fishing for just one bite, I think in some conditions an inline can provide more of an efficient bolt effect, but I really don't think it makes any odds in big powerful rivers.

Haven't used a lead clip for barbel fishing over 15 years.

Excuse my ignorance, since I've used free running since i started barbel fishing, but what is a lead clip?

Excuse my ignorance, since I've used free running since i started barbel fishing, but what is a lead clip?
As above Paul. They are designed to completely eject a lead if it obtains a certain amount of resistance and I do believe used properly by people that know what they are doing they can be quite safe. However there is a fine line between too loose and too tight with how the tail rubber is placed and that line can be the difference between a lead thrown on the cast or a potentially tethered fish. Most people push them on too far and some even put them on dry. They don’t belong in barbel angling imo and certainly not in snaggy swims when the risk of a break off is higher.
the exception of course is a free running lead clip. These are as safe as a running lead and quite good actually because again they can eject the lead in a fight giving you a direct line straight to the fish and been free running the lot will come off in the event of a break. So it’s just the fixed lead clips that are a no no imo

Lead clips are just one more gimmick from the carp world methinks . Carp anglers ( not all , but quite a lot ) only ever use what is commercially available and probably would not be able to cobble a totally home made rig together using if they were asked .

I usually use home made sinkers ( flat pear shaped mostly) on a lighter line , free running on a main line with a lesser bs line as a hook length. Fixed leads are asking for trouble and tethered fish imo.

So how are these unsafe? I suppose if you push hard against the swivel, but I use a bead in between the clip and the swivel.

I assumed the term lead clip inferred a non free running lead bolt-rigged setup.
Exactly, its all the carp anglers coming over to our way of fishing ☹

So how are these unsafe? I suppose if you push hard against the swivel, but I use a bead in between the clip and the swivel.

I assumed the term lead clip inferred a non free running lead bolt-rigged setup.
Depends how it’s fished. You can get different types. Some you tie your mainline directly to the clip. Others slide up and down your main line and can either be running where they sit against a bead or you can have them like above where they press over the swivel (again fixed)

Semi fixed running rig for me (tulip bead style)
incidentally my youngest is heavily into his carp fishing, he takes his fish welfare very seriously
The rig he uses drops the lead on every take! He says he doesn’t want any tethered fish

I've in the past used forceps to squeeze the plastic lead clip barrels open, so the swivel only just holds in place, and comes free with a light pull.

But mainly used the Gardner run rings and beads in my set ups. Always found minimum components on the line better.
Korum quick change beads and running lead clip a great alternative...

Semi fixed running rig for me (tulip bead style)
incidentally my youngest is heavily into his carp fishing, he takes his fish welfare very seriously
The rig he uses drops the lead on every take! He says he doesn’t want any tethered fish
I’m sure he is Robert, but he and many other carpers appear happy to pave the bottom of the lakes and rivers they fish with deliberately discarded leads. Try explaining that to any perfectly reasonable member of the non-angling public. Please don’t think I’m having a go at your son as I’m sure he means well, but whilst I entirely understand the fish safety consideration, I just don’t think that the habitual littering waters with leads can be justified.

Back