• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Korum areonium chairs

Has anyone e ever seen weight limits for these chairs and if so where ?
And if there are none posted by korum does that mean suitable for all ???

My pal is 18 stone and it lasted 3 years

See this thread

To my knowledge there is no such material called aeronium. It’s a fancy word made up to call an existing very light and very strong grade of aluminum extrusion. My guess would be a 7000 grade which is loaded with magnesium. Posh mountain bikes are often made with it and if welded properly (subject to sound design of course) will last a lifetime, it’s also used in some aerospace applications which these companies love to promote because it sounds so cool………. My chair is made out of rocket ship and jumbo jet metal 😂
Well that might be the case but it wasn’t built by bloody NASA.
Problem is it’s very difficult to weld especially the thinner gages and this is where the lifespan comes in.
I know from personal experience what a lot of aluminum grades are like to weld up and I know the skill involved. I’ve repaired dozens of mountain bike frames in the past (wouldn’t waste my time on a fishing chair)
For that very reason I’d sooner have a more commonly used, more weldable aluminum extrusion grade used for my chair like the older models because there is a far better chance it’s been done to a better standard.
In short the weight limit of your chair I wouldn’t have a clue! But the heavier you are the quicker you’ll suffer what I believe to be pretty inevitable.

The frame should suffer “creep” before the welds let go but sadly I doubt that will be the case.

Has anyone e ever seen weight limits for these chairs and if so where ?
And if there are none posted by korum does that mean suitable for all ???

I was after one of those, wasn’t impressed with it in the shop, tried it side by side with a nash indulgence ultra light and there is no comparison in comfort and build quality. Slightly heavier but still a very light chair. I’m 16.5 stone used the nash one without issue so far…

I was after one of those, wasn’t impressed with it in the shop, tried it side by side with a nash indulgence ultra light and there is no comparison in comfort and build quality. Slightly heavier but still a very light chair. I’m 16.5 stone used the nash one without issue so far…

Ive had my nash indulgence a few years now and think its spot on,like the built in carry strap as well👍

I’ve used mine for a couple of years,I’m quite short and 11stone,so far so good.after reading this thread I checked the welds and as far as I can see they appear to be fine.
There does appear to be slight variations with the chair as mine has bracing between the front legs but I’ve seen others without.
They are extremely light and compact,ideal for short sessions (to my mind) probably not the most comfortable but a thin piece of foam sorts that problem
Saying that,the RRP is quite expensive (I got mine for £50 from The Big One show) but everything seems to be going that way recently1B5F3145-833F-4DD0-97CA-6566EE815D89.jpeg

Last edited:
The inevitable happened with mine yesterday and catastrophic failure of a brace after a weld failure a few months ago. Probably used 20-30 times since new. Korum website said to return to dealer if faulty goods, thought I'd ask nicely since I was passing the tackle shop where I bought it. They swapped it for a new one no fuss adding that the Korum rep was pretty good. Hope this one lasts longer than six months. First time I've had a chair where the fabric hasn't been the first to wear out.

I had a similar problem with a Korum X25 chair, which was 14 months old when it failed. I was looking online for a local aluminium welder that I might persuade to repair it when I found a YouTube video showing aluminium brazing with a propane torch. Long story short, I bought a couple, stripped the chair and set to work. I’ve yet to try the chair on a fishing trip but, fingers crossed, it should be fine.

Attachments

• EA3BF3C9-9DAD-411F-AC41-A4389E0DE563.jpeg
    EA3BF3C9-9DAD-411F-AC41-A4389E0DE563.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 144
  • E91C4250-93FD-40EC-AFAE-65E18CC72F9D.jpeg
    E91C4250-93FD-40EC-AFAE-65E18CC72F9D.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 134
  • BA657CC0-D179-437D-A96B-64C46F18DE66.jpeg
    BA657CC0-D179-437D-A96B-64C46F18DE66.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 140
I had a similar problem with a Korum X25 chair, which was 14 months old when it failed. I was looking online for a local aluminium welder that I might persuade to repair it when I found a YouTube video showing aluminium brazing with a propane torch. Long story short, I bought a couple, stripped the chair and set to work. I’ve yet to try the chair on a fishing trip but, fingers crossed, it should be fine.
If that fails Neil are you likely to injure yourself???
If so then I’d suggest you cut it off and get it welded because I’d have money on that failing under load at some point. While brazing is an acceptable way to join materials it is not a fusion joint.
The strength in a brazed joint comes from both capillary action while the filler is still liquid state and fabrication design not to over load the joint

Sadly in this case you have neither on your side

If that fails Neil are you likely to injure yourself???
If so then I’d suggest you cut it off and get it welded because I’d have money on that failing under load at some point. While brazing is an acceptable way to join materials it is not a fusion joint.
The strength in a brazed joint comes from both capillary action while the filler is still liquid state and fabrication design not to over load the joint

Sadly in this case you have neither on your side
It won’t collapse Richard as I’ve also put an 8mm machine screw through both tube sections. But you’re right, it’s not as strong as welding but I failed to find anyone local to do the job so well have to see.

Back