• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Korum Aeronium chair

Paul Whiteing

Administrator
Staff member
My pal bought a Korum Aeronium Deluxe Supa Lite Chair, less than 3 yrs ago.

Today he's sat on the ground

IMG-20210909-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20210909-WA0009.jpg

Weight: 4.5kg or 3.6kg without mattress.

Ok, he's a big lad but I always thought the lightness was likely due to the thickness (and hence less strength) of the material rather than necessarily the Aeronium material itself.

He reckons if they last 2-3 years it's fine, but I'm in the 25+ year chair camp and think things should last a lot longer than that.

Just sayin' ...........

I'd want at least 10 years use from a chair at that price. Shame as I thought these looked quite good and I need to replace my Fox adjusta level which is over 15 years old and still going strong. It's just started to become a big uncomfy - which might be to do with the terry I put on during lockdown...

Unfortunately this is common when you give a material like 7*** series aluminum to low skilled low paid “welders” to put together.
Particularly as these are Tig welded which requires a good level of skill.
the fact that the weld has actually come away from one side and not torn a hole in the tube it was stuck to suggests lack of fusion on every joint.
aluminum is notorious for being welded too cold by people because once it gets nice and hot and things are fusing nicely, you have to go like the clappers or the whole lot just blows right through. It is a highly skilled job to be good at alu tig welding on thin walled tube.
I wouldn’t be surprised if every fishing chair made today has a 3-4 year life span with bigger guys parking in them.

I looked at the light weight chairs and settled on the Fox Duralite as my main chair is a Fox EOS2 and that is good quality so I'm hoping this one for roving is as well.
Only problem so far is there is not much adjustment in the leg length for steep banks.

Tat. Pretty looking tat, but tat all the same.
Re. leg length adjustment @Gary Welsher ... a few of us on here have now replaced front legs on our chairs with longer ones (see previous posts). But if you do decide to do this, make sure you use a heavier gauge tube than standard.

Re. leg length adjustment @Gary Welsher ... a few of us on here have now replaced front legs on our chairs with longer ones (see previous posts). But if you do decide to do this, make sure you use a heavier gauge tube than standard.

Thanks I am going to check whether the outer tubes are clear to take longer ones. Do you get your tubing off Ebay or similar?

Be very careful doing this.
Extending the front legs only puts more leverage (stress) on those already shoddy welds.
Terry by any chance is your chair and old one and is the bulk of the frame made from steel and are you a lighter slimmer bloke?
the answers to some or all of those questions are probably the reason why you’ve successfully modified yours however a modem aluminum chair with those front legs extended another 6 inch and a decent load chucked in it could very easily see it scrapped on the first park.

Maybe the answer is to buy a “Longlegs” chair in the first place, and hope it is up to spec.
I am the worlds worst for adapting commercially produced items to my own requirements , normally things go reasonably well, but my own alterations to what I select to buy are much more to my requirements.I would go as far as to say that I buy intending to adapt, because I no longer think that what is there for sale fits my requirements in the main .
In my experience , more noticeably recently,in the last maybe ten years or more, manufacturers seem to sell things designed by people who do not actually participate in the pastimes that their “designs “ are actually marketed for , even when they are, the quality of the items are, lets say, questionable in the main, matters not what brand or badge they carry.

David

Thanks I am going to check whether the outer tubes are clear to take longer ones. Do you get your tubing off Ebay or similar?
Hi Gary, yes the tube comes from ebay. If you go half a mm thicker on the wall it makes a huge strength difference. You will find you can go longer on the front legs because when folded they do not need to fully retract. On my JRC I added about 50mm to the rears and 75mm to the fronts. Made a big difference.

Be very careful doing this.
Extending the front legs only puts more leverage (stress) on those already shoddy welds.
Terry by any chance is your chair and old one and is the bulk of the frame made from steel and are you a lighter slimmer bloke?
the answers to some or all of those questions are probably the reason why you’ve successfully modified yours however a modem aluminum chair with those front legs extended another 6 inch and a decent load chucked in it could very easily see it scrapped on the first park.
It's a JRC Stealth X-Lite, and I think the front legs are aluminium, but not 100% sure. But I do know that the welds appear to be excellent (I checked), and the legs are braced (as in photo).
I'm 6ft and 11-11 (75kgs) so on the slim side by modern porker standards I guess 😂
The photo above is one of the chair with the legs extended to their absolute maximum, with only ~3" max. of the extendable part of the leg still in the 'receiving' outer tube of the leg.
In practice, I'd hesitate to do this ...but I have done it and it's been totally fine. For example, those shots of my set-up with my chair actually in the river ... a situation where the consequences of a 'system failure' would have been more severe than if I'd been sat on the bank (i.e. 😰😨😰)
1.jpg

It's a JRC Stealth X-Lite, and I think the front legs are aluminium, but not 100% sure. But I do know that the welds appear to be excellent (I checked), and the legs are braced (as in photo).
I'm 6ft and 11-11 (75kgs) so on the slim side by modern porker standards I guess 😂
The photo above is one of the chair with the legs extended to their absolute maximum, with only ~3" max. of the extendable part of the leg still in the 'receiving' outer tube of the leg.
In practice, I'd hesitate to do this ...but I have done it and it's been totally fine. For example, those shots of my set-up with my chair actually in the river ... a situation where the consequences of a 'system failure' would have been more severe than if I'd been sat on the bank (i.e. 😰😨😰)
View attachment 16260
I’m speculating here but I think that’s an older model jrc chair probably before they started using these fancy high Magnesium aluminum grades. Probably something like a 6062 extrusion which is quite standard for general alu fabrication. 75kg is probably half of what it’s gonna take before it’s suffering any stress. I’m sure the welding is fine but unfortunately you can’t see fusion especially through paint.
I wouldn’t like to carry the same modification on a new fancy “made with starship enterprise material” chair at my weight of around 105kg
The extra length at that angle puts extra stress on the welds,
the high mag content along with other posh elements in the material makes them more difficult to get sound welds
Probably nowadays made by lower skilled welders to keep costs down.

Could well be graham although from my experience in doing quite a lot of welder training, the women pick up Tig welding to a neater nicer standard more quickly than men. I think it’s to do with dexterity in the hands

Bloody hell Terry, a 3 rod setup, you'll be on the match circuit soon !!
You missed the 4th (lure) rod up the bank ...I was hedging my bets Cliff. There's many a method I can blank by 😂
Actually, it was an 'experiment' that worked really well ("Chairs" thread, post 25/08/21), although I'll only repeat it if my back's really bad but I'm determined to fish. Sitting with your feet in the river, able to throw a lure about or relax, sat watching a tip ... both in between rolling a lump of meat or running a waggler down. It was good, and a good laugh.

Back