• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Korum 8ft 2lb opportunist

Yep. Had a double on first outing with it. Obviously the shorter length takes some finesse out of casting ability (lobbing is the order of the day), and looks a bit strange with the 'missing' 4ft, but can't fault the playing action. Also have the heavier 10ft, probably the better option.

Thanks mike , the 10 ft isn’t a part of my thoughts at the moment as I have an 11 ft Torrix , the 8 ft certainly is though

Actually found one today in a tackle shop I popped into so had a waggle , quite impressive bit of kit for the money , if it can handle double figure barbel it sounds perfect for what I have in mind

Hi all.
Been thinking of getting on of these for a while

I was thinking of the 10ft but liking the sound of the 8ft also.
I’ve seen them for 49.99 on the web.

Brilliant Wayne

I bought one out of curiosity.

Single leg rings don't look like they'll stand up to much wear and tear, good reel seat, power right through so good for stalking and hitting and holding. I'd even press this into piking on a boat.

Nice little rod, shame about the rings!

I bought one out of curiosity.

Single leg rings don't look like they'll stand up to much wear and tear, good reel seat, power right through so good for stalking and hitting and holding. I'd even press this into piking on a boat.

Nice little rod, shame about the rings!
That because they are single leg bob ?

That because they are single leg bob ?

Pretty much, I'm not a fan of single leg rings anyway, but these seem to be quite flimsy IMO. Not so much of a problem if sat in rests or on a pod, but a rod such as this, is, I believe meant to be a stalker, or as the name on it suggests, "opportunist" so it should be expected to be laid on the ground, carried through undergrowth or nearbank bushes, trees etc. exactly the type of scenario that could see rings bent, strong double legs prevent a lot of damage.

Sadly, for me at least, most or quite a lot of rods off the peg these days are single leg so it's a pill I have to swallow with off the peg rods. I usually have any rods that are required for certain situations made by Dave Lumb anyway, so not a problem, he usually builds with double leg as standard.

Not a fan of Minima rings - yes they are light but that's about it. On several occasions have fitted them on request by customers but had problems mostly with the liner material.
I have loads of them but won't use them :-(
Rod seems great value for money though.

Cheers
Bob

Lots of my friends are carp anglers and they have got some custom rods built by mark tunley with minima guides and they rate them highly but i suppose it's each to there own. Personally i like them a lot

I bought a pair of used Chimera 3 custom built rods which have Pac Bay Minima rings on, I was sceptical about them, but 3 years on I can't say I've had any issues with them.

They seem to be much more robust than they look - I'm not sure I'd pick them over Fuji's or Kigans though if i was having a rod built.

I bought a pair of used Chimera 3 custom built rods which have Pac Bay Minima rings on, I was sceptical about them, but 3 years on I can't say I've had any issues with them.

They seem to be much more robust than they look - I'm not sure I'd pick them over Fuji's or Kigans though if i was having a rod built.

Single or double legs?

Back