• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Korum’s customer care

I don’t think you annoy enough people with higher expectations for it to really affect your sales.
Debatable one that. I’m a stubborn sod myself and when I feel I’ve been mugged off by a company I never go back to them. Twenty years or so back I bought a Phillips TV. It packed up a year and a week after I bought it and I was told by a repair company that Phillips were aware they had a problem with that product. I wrote to them explaining the issue and I received a letter back, around a few hundred words that could be condensed down to two: piss off. As a result I will never buy another Phillips product, even if they make the current best and at the cheapest price. People do remember. One lost sale is an affect on your sales, and a lost customer is a potential loss of many more sales going forward.

At least Phillips took the time to tell me to get lost, I suppose. Oddly, I find that more acceptable than being simply ignored.

I got mugged by Fox around 20 years ago. First a predator landing net snapped on its first outing. I then bought 2 of their original FS7000 reels, but both developed faults soon after. I sent them back for repair and they sent me someone elses reels back, which were battered WTF!

I furiously complained, but they denied it and claimed they were my reels!

Ever since I’ve avoided them at all costs and all because of pulling a fast one and terrible customer service!

Debatable one that. I’m a stubborn sod myself and when I feel I’ve been mugged off by a company I never go back to them.
I'm exactly the same - and not just where tackle is concerned. Little Egret Press seems to have cornered the market in the piublication of interesting-sounding angling books of late, but because the editing and layout of some of their earlier titles was so appalling, I've vowed to never buy anything published by them again. Several friends who bought expensive leather-bound deluxe editions found the quality control was non-existent and the books looked as though they'd been handled by an apprentice just beginning to learn the trade. And as for the juvenile nature of the so-called "artist" illustrations...

Korum gear has been going downhill for a while.

Luggage isn’t on par with there stuff from a few years back. I have had some of there older stuff for almost 10 years, looking at the newer version in the tackle shop, I doubt they would last 2 seasons.

Hooks - they changed the material, still decent but not as good as the originals

Bib and brace (winter), changed clasps and straps for weaker, less quality versions.

Rods- decent for price point but not on par with the original neoterics.

I have a lot of Korum gear, when it needs replacing I’ll be looking on eBay for secondhand replacements, if I can’t find any I’ll be looking at nash or esp.

Same here. Zips break on everything. The straps on a two rod protected holdall are so badly positioned that it is too unbalanced to carry and you can barely squeeze Shimmy 8000 Aeros into the pouch. The roving chair is hopeless on banks that slope downwards, i.e. most. A barbel quiver rod supposedly rated to cast 140 grams broke on the 7th outing whilst gently lobbing under half that.

I won't be buying anything from that brand in future.

It's nice to be able to "vent" our feelings on shoddy goods and poor customer service on this forum isn't it? I recognise that my problem is my age! I have become less tolerant as I have become older! I HATE shoddy made goods and less than efficient Customer Services. I also have a problem with the control China has on all manner of goods sold in the UK. To have an item made the other side of the world, shipped over here and sold through a retailer makes me question how robust the item is. Think about it! You've got the cost of materials, manufacturing, shipping (container costs through the roof) marketing, retailer profits etc etc. Let's assume its a landing net and retails for £39.99, with everyone involved in the process wanting their profit margin, its likely the item will not be very robust. Small grub screws being used instead of stronger (more expensive) fixings for example. Sorry everyone, but it's all about the "bottom line".

I've had similar issues with Fox products 'quality control' in the distant past, and as a result, went out of my way not to buy any of their items for years. No excusing Korum's bad customer service. That will come back to bite them. Although, in the main I haven't had any real issues with Korum's products (yet).

Back