• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Kelly/Storm/Ghillie Kettle?

Kelly’s and the like are great just scratch the "boy scout" itch if nothing else.

These are cheaper, quicker, lighter, cheap easy handled fuel, and just a bit more versatile with an “Army Cup” to boil up in and drink from takes up very little of my precious rucksack space
And it don’t melt if you stick it on without water.
Come on hands up.
Hexamine Hexi Solid Fuel Folding Stove - Ronnie Sunshines

Kelly’s and the like are great just scratch the "boy scout" itch if nothing else.

These are cheaper, quicker, lighter, cheap easy handled fuel, and just a bit more versatile with an “Army Cup†to boil up in and drink from takes up very little of my precious rucksack space
And it don’t melt if you stick it on without water.
Come on hands up.
Hexamine Hexi Solid Fuel Folding Stove - Ronnie Sunshines

After using hexamine for 24 years in the army the smell & taste of hexamine is enough to make me keep using a Kelly kettle thanks....lol :D

I buy those wax impregnated fire logs and break a few bits off to get the flame started, one log lasts me months. I've also got a carrier bag in my van full of dry kindling for those horrid wet days when you can hardly find anything to burn.

Ok, so I have taken the plunge made a purchase and gone for one of these The Poppin STORM Kettle from The Eydon Kettle Company bought online for £44.99 inc postage!

Looking forward to my first brew and breakfast which due to the current weather is more likely to take place on the patio at home than the river bank.

Due to work and family commitments I am anticipating early morning before work sessions next season and this will ensure I don't go without a decent brekkie.

To avoid disappointment I would suggest you practice with this in the privacy of your own garden until you get the hang of it. It is a great bit of kit but it is also an acquired art and not something you want to learn while you are starving and gagging for a cuppa on the river bank.

Got a 15yr old boy in the house who will keen on taking part in the "field testing" just got to make sure he realises it is outdoor use only!

Back