• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Kelly/Storm/Ghillie Kettle?

Kelly kettle. We have to support industry within the British Isles and with a name like Kelly, it has to be made in Eire. I'd also support Kelly as they have a very good customer service. I bought a Kelly kettle, rang them and asked them how on Earth the thing worked with a hole in it. The lovely Colleen, with a delightful Irish brogue didn't know either and passed my enquiry on to their technical department. The technical guy wasn't sure as no one had pointed out to him that there was a hole in the middle. He passed me on to the technical manager. The technical manager informed me that only two people had ever asked that question me and someone with a Ph.D. I thanked him none the wiser.

So there we are, excellent customer service. If you were to move the kettle on at some point a genuine Kelly will sell better than Chinese copies. There is another make, made in the UK, but can't for the life of me remember the name. Although quite a mystery how they work, I accepted that they do and they are absolutely fantastic. Referring to Ray Walton's post STs make excellent kindling, but they must be dry.

i have a small ghillie ( :confused: :eek: i said ghillie not willy :rolleyes: ) kettle its no different to a kelly except i get a whistle when the waters boiled ,its kida nice to hear the steam whistle blow .

you get the cook set for if you fancy knocking up breakie and they come in a range of hard anodized colours and sizes and best of all they're a english company .if i had to replace mine then ,i wouldn't hesitate ,i'd get another one ,probably battleship gray or green next time.

Ghillie Kettle

http://www.freewebstore.org/ghilliekettlecompany/index.aspx?pageid=399479

Last edited:
I put the wrong link in my original post which should have been this one.

F3 'Popular' Storm Kettle

It is free postage if you add the cooking kit which takes the order to over £50.

This is another british manufacturing company. Still keep my eye on that one on ebay though.

I may be wrong but when I purchased my Kelly kettle the gentlemen who I spoke to was not only very helpful but was also apparently the son of the original Kelly who designed it. As already mentioned would be nice to support a genuine bit of heritage.

Both Kelly and Ghillie Kettles are made by the same UK company, Spinform.

There was a quality issue when Kelly put their manufacturing out to the East of Europe (yes, thats a fact) so it was brought back to the UK.

I am considering buying a "Kelly" type kettle but notice there are other brands and wondered if anyone had any tips on which one to buy.

As well as the Kelly brand I have come across Storm and Ghillie brands.

I found this one
Genuine STORM Kettle, just over 1 pint, POPPIN Kit, new from the manufacturer | eBay

which seems a reasonable price, includes the cooking set and free P&P.

Any other brands to consider and any recommendations?

Thats the model I went for. Looks great too. Perfect size. I got outbid though so purchased new for 70 odd I think it was.

These were the originals too? Made in Britain. Everyone wants a Kelly just because Yates uses one. Simple

I didn't, and having watched the video don't ! pointless complicated way to make a cuppa if you ask me! even if Nicepix of old could make Jugged Hare, Chargrilled Rabbit etc on one :)

Kelly Kettle.

I have had the half litre Kelly kettle for years, great bit of kit,and worth its weight in gas cannisters, its bit battered now, but still works as well as it ever did, a quick tip for anybody buying one, fill the kettle before setting off, and also, get a coke bottle or similar, fill with water, then wrap the bottle in newspaper and slide it into the kettles chimney,for transporting. ..(after use the chimney gets a bit coked up with soot and suchlike, so the paper protects the bottle from getting gungy..)
You effectively get about one litre of water carried in the half litre kettle.... and some paper to light the kettle with.

I cant claim to have thought of the above, just read it somewhere, maybe on here even .

I would advise anybody to get one,flasks do eventually go cold, for a long stint on the bank with the kettle you can always have steaming brews, and basic hot meals, without the bother of carrying gas stoves , pans etc.

Dave.

bloody good little idea. I've got the kit so always take a small bag anyhow which has a bottle in. Great if you're going minimal though.

These are cracking little kettles. Very similar to mKettle or Backcountry Boiler.

The NEW F1 Storm Kettle

I've been using an mKettle for a year and the Storm F1s appear to resolve a couple of minor design niggles.

Best thing about all of these kettles, is you are almost guaranteed a bite right at the most labour intensive point of the boiling process!

M

Is this the first Kelly kettle thread on the new incarnation of bfw? One thing which hasn't been mentioned is the little moral boost you get on a cold night from the roar of a Kelly and the smell of woodsmoke.

Ade, to add to that lovely comforting smell I keep orange peel and banana skins and once they are dried out, they add a lovely citrus smell to the smoke too :)

I now routinely pick up pine cones along the way too as I also like the pine smell that comes off them - they take a flame well too and are useful for getting a decent fire started...also whenever I see a silver Birch tree I collect some of the bark (not too much) but enough to take a flame - it is high in natural oil which can assist in getting the kettle fired up on a damp day.

I was only talking about this yesterday to a mutual friend of ours and he mentioned keeping some rubber innertube handy too....not a nice smell when you light it up but it can be lit even when wet and just might be the answer to getting a warming brew when the heavens have opened up?

Just the thoughts of a Kelly Kettler

Paul

Ade, to add to that lovely comforting smell I keep orange peel and banana skins and once they are dried out, they add a lovely citrus smell to the smoke too :)

I now routinely pick up pine cones along the way too as I also like the pine smell that comes off them - they take a flame well too and are useful for getting a decent fire started...also whenever I see a silver Birch tree I collect some of the bark (not too much) but enough to take a flame - it is high in natural oil which can assist in getting the kettle fired up on a damp day.

I was only talking about this yesterday to a mutual friend of ours and he mentioned keeping some rubber innertube handy too....not a nice smell when you light it up but it can be lit even when wet and just might be the answer to getting a warming brew when the heavens have opened up?

Just the thoughts of a Kelly Kettler

Paul

Very twee :D maybe this should be the way forward for the dedicated 'kettler' ;)

Datei:Joss sticks.jpg

Back