• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Keith Speer

Hardly any photos of me catching or holding fish (possibly a good reason for that!) but I like this one taken by Mr Speer himself on a trip to the Kennet. The fish was a chub by the way.

Has made me think that perhaps we should consider, through BFW, running a national barbel on the float day in Keith's memory. Haven't thought it through and its probably one for Andy and the team, but perhaps one day a year when those that can get out and fish for barbel on the float and we have a page that captures the pictures/stories etc. Could make it a Charitable event too, asking Keith's family for guidance on that.

Attachments

• Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 302
Only met Keith twice, once on the Wye and once at an event. On both occasions we debated the merits of the line coming off the top or bottom of the reel. No need to ask who won the debate. Lovely lovely man who will be missed by everyone who knew him.
My sincere condolence to all.

I never met Keith Speer , but his writings / postings clearly illustrated that he was a a fine and intuitive angling brain , crucially he was generous with his thoughts , advice, and time , something that is often sadly missing these days . What is most important of all is that all these comments and reflections show that Keith was a top bloke generous to a fault, who brought joy to peoples lives ,that has to be the best testimony to a man's life ..

I never met Keith Speer , but his writings / postings clearly illustrated that he was a a fine and intuitive angling brain , crucially he was generous with his thoughts , advice and time , something that is often sadly missing these days . What is most important of all is that all these comments and reflections show that Keith was a top bloke , generous to a fault, who brought joy to peoples lives ,that has to be the best testimony to a man's life ..

I never met Keith either but your words say it all Mike, very thoughtful.

What a shock.Very sad to hear the news about Keith. Met Keith a couple of times on the Thames at Windsor and at meetings. Lovely man Great Fisherman RIP Keith.

As a vac member, whom keith taught to trot and helped organise
a very successful charity match for another friend of mine who passed away last year. He will be sadly missed and my sincerest thoughts are with his family.

I'm completely stunned and extremely sad at this news.

He was a giant of a man both in his fishing and his attitude towards passing on his immense knowledge.

RIP Keith, I'll be thinking of your family and friends.

Russ

RIP Kieth

Only seems like a couple of days ago he was commenting on a thread. I enjoyed reading his articles and watching him in action on Tight Lines

Incredibly sad news. I only got to know Keith via PM on here and his very informative posts, but what an incredible angler, nice bloke and all of the other superlatives already used on this thread.

As already mentioned he was very generous with his advice and information on the BFW forum which gives rise to an idea.

A truly great tribute to the legend that was Keith Speer would be to gather all of the useable threads that he posted or replied to on BFW over the years and compile them into a book complete with pictures of the great man with his many memorable catches which could be sold with funds going to a suitable angling cause of his families choice, I would certainly buy one.

Any thoughts people?

That is an excellent idea Keith , a legacy that would benefit many . If ever there was anybody that had a book in him it was Keith Speer .

Back