• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Keith Speer

I'll be fishing the stick for barbel at marford farm today so he'll be in my thoughts

It's an odd thing...I used to converse with Keith via PM and phone quite a lot, such was my admiration for his knowledge and ability. However, despite numerous talked of sessions, I only actually fished with the man for one day....and yet he pops into my thoughts so often.

If I fished Marford farm like you Dave, I probably wouldn't dare trot a stick through a swim...just in case he was watching and calling me a useless toss pot :D....He had a way with words, bless him :p

Cheers, Dave.

As a few on here have already said i to never met the man but really enjoyed his writings & how well he perfected the art of float fishing for barbel someone who will be deeply missed my sincere condolences to his family & friends.

It's an odd thing...I used to converse with Keith via PM and phone quite a lot, such was my admiration for his knowledge and ability. However, despite numerous talked of sessions, I only actually fished with the man for one day....and yet he pops into my thoughts so often.

If I fished Marford farm like you Dave, I probably wouldn't dare trot a stick through a swim...just in case he was watching and calling me a useless toss pot :D....He had a way with words, bless him :p

Cheers, Dave.

I lost my only bite from a barbel today because of a straightened hook, I even thought it was a bit stupid using such a fine size 16 as I was tying it. I'm not sure useless toss pot would get even close.

I never met Keith, never spoke or conversed with him via e-mail but I must say it was clearly evident he liked offering his thoughts, advice and expertise in trying to help others in catching their dreams. Though our pain is least his presence I think is missed on here, but it's clear we take some things as given that they'll be there forever and when such a thing again reminds us how temporary things are, we should just delight in what we have.

I never met Keith, never spoke or conversed with him via e-mail but I must say it was clearly evident he liked offering his thoughts, advice and expertise in trying to help others in catching their dreams. Though our pain is least his presence I think is missed on here, but it's clear we take some things as given that they'll be there forever and when such a thing again reminds us how temporary things are, we should just delight in what we have.

Very well put Damien

Dave

I take it you haven't met my missus then?

Cheers, Dave.

he made lovely cuppa tea did keith, definately never hesitant in saying what he thought, i loved some of the banter him and mike wilson used to have sometimes:D

I went with Keith down to the Lower Itchen Mike, and the drive down was great fun, listening to Keith reminiscing, lots of tales of fishing and his service escapades. When we got there, he fished his favourite roach swim and had a number of astonishing fish, topped by a fish of 2.10.

On the drive home Dave Currell phoned to tell him he had had a three pound + fish, a target they were both after. The air was blue for several minutes, with accusations and banter flying back and forth between them...I just sat there in stitches listening to the pair of them. Great memories, great anglers.

Cheers, Dave.

Back