• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Keeping warm !!

I've got an old pair of salopettes, wind and waterproof, reinforced knees and bum, and breathable. I bought them for a song years ago when my daughters school had a jumble sale, last seasons colour I suppose, and they are great. I've had them years, (My daughter's 23 now) they're just a little snug nowadays.:D

Last edited:
Maplins are selling heated jackets, gloves, hats and insoles that all run off AA batteries. The manufacturers claim that the jackets heat up to 40 degrees celsius in five minutes! I've a feeling that rechargeable batteries will be an absolute must if the cost of running them isn't to be prohibitive.

Another one for Buffalo clothing,wore mine over 2 thermal base layers in windchills of -15 on top of various Lake District mountains last winter and was highly impressed with it.

Dean

They look very nice where did you get it for £60? GO sell it for £81.

Thanks Brian

It's always possible to stay warm, but it's a little more difficult to stay dry. For that reason I wouldn't recommend using down clothing as an insulating layer, unless of course you are certain it won't rain! Synthetic insulation retains much more of its insulating properties when wet than down does, and with it being much much easier to care for, its all I'd use as an insulator whilst fishing.
That said I have a Rab Neutrino Endurance filled with some of the best down you can get and in cold weather its awesome but, depsite it being covered with Pertex's Endurance and being able to shed a small amount of rain, I won't use anywhere near the stuff.

Last edited:
I agree down is a superb insulator, however I cannot stress enough how poor it is when wet after spending a cold night in a down bag a few weeks ago in the lake district and that was supposedly with a water resistant shell and a an RRP of over £300 don't take a chance with down as we all know in a fishing situation its difficult to stay completely dry in a down pour.

There have been a few manufacturers that in recent years have tried to combine down with waterproof outers, but with any item there are always weak points that will allow water to ingress.
Wet down also struggles to regain its ability to loft once dried, in turn losing slightly its insulating properties.

I personally saw 2 friends of mine get mild frostbite in Norway a few Februaries ago, through wearing Sealskinz. Problem with them is they are not good at wicking away moisture.
These are fantastic, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-X-PAIRS-UNI...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item27b6af1397 when i am on a long session on the Trent i take 2 pairs, if i feel my feet are getting damp, and they will with any socks as your feet and body is constantly perspiring. I change them for a dry pair that have been tucked in my jacket. If your feet get cold wearing these then you eithe have a circulation probem, tight boots or really bad insulating footwear.

John,

On your recommendation, I have bought a snugpak softie jacket,what a fantastic bit of kit, and it only cost me £15. I wear a norgie shirt under it. So I will be trying these socks out.

Good call that Jon, I have Sealskinz and notice how wet my feet are when I take them off.
Didn't even think of the potential to freeze!

Back