• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Keeping warm !!

Jamie Armitage

After last winter of doing the layers thing which works for a couple of hours then the cold creeps in.
Would anybody recommend one of them korum suits they look warm!! or any other suit on the market.
Cheers for any help

Jamie

Have a look at an 'Under Amour' base layer. They are the really tight sports tops that you see athletes (and a few footballers) wearing and they are brilliant!

I bought my under armour (there are other brands too) for when I did the Three Peaks Challenge and have used it for fishing ever since and it keeps me warm on the coldest of days. highly recommended.

Stu

Wouldn't swap my Nash Zero Tolerance duck down jacket and trousers for anything else when it gets really cold. I don't ever want to walk in it with kit though.:eek:

Snugpak Salopettes and Snugpak jachet do the business for me, never been cold in these. I am a firm believer that staying warm starts at the feet, ensure you invest in a good pair of insulated winter Boots(TFG Extreme boots) or wellies(Muckboots Tay Sports), if the cold gets you in the feet it takes a lot to warm the pinkies up.

Remember Jamie, whatever the clothing, it only helps to maintain your body heat and doesn't actually warm you up. The layering principle has long been accepted as the best means to do this and as Chris says you don't want to be lugging all your gear for any distance with a heavy suit on. The most important layer is the base layer: if you're sweating by the time you get to your swim and the material next to your skin doesn't wick the persperation away you'll very quickly lose your body heat. In effect, the heat energy from your body is being used to evaporate a liquid (sweat) and as this is the body's natural way of cooling itself, you get cold quickly. Cotton fibres are the worst for holding moisture and some of the cheaper fleece jackets aren't too clever either. A waterproof and breathable outer layer and, as mentioned above, warm footwear are also a necessity.

One last point. In winter, I usually walk to my peg with the least amount of clothing in which I'm comfortable, then put the rest of my layers on when needed.

Agree with the point about the feet. I get cold feet anyway so doubly important for me. I just use ordinary walking boots, but I wear a pair of Thaw Silk Sock liners (brilliant) plus a pair of extreme ski socks, and my feet are lovely and warm - plus they don't get too sweaty as both socks provide good wicking and the boots are breathable.

Jamie, if your layers aren't working then you are using the wrong layers! I use a winter sports style layered approach, and I fished all day in temperatures as low as -8.

Base Layers:
1. An ultra-thin Thaw silk layer (vest and longjohns)
2. Icebreaker 260-rated vest and longjohns.

Mid Layer:
Up to three good-quality fleece tops. Fleece is warm, breathable, light and thin - which means you can wear several without becoming a michelin man, though my third one is a size up.

Top layers(s):
1. Wind-proof fleece jacket — wind-proofing is essential!
2. Preston Dryfish500 jacket and salopettes — waterproof and breathable.

Head: A decent thermal hat. A baseball cap just won't keep you warm!

Sounds complicated but it works for me. If it's -5 at dawn but the sun comes out later, I can strip off layer-by-layer as needed (not all the way, obviously :eek:). I usually take a two or three layers off for the walk down so I don't get too hot, and put them back on in the swim.

As Anthony said, sweat is the body's cooling method. If you get damp from sweating, you are guaranteed to get cold, so your base and mid layers need to have good wicking properties and everything needs to be breathable.

Hope this helps.

Agree with the point about the feet. I get cold feet anyway so doubly important for me. I just use ordinary walking boots, but I wear a pair of Thaw Silk Sock liners (brilliant) plus a pair of extreme ski socks, and my feet are lovely and warm - plus they don't get too sweaty as both socks provide good wicking and the boots are breathable.

Jamie, if your layers aren't working then you are using the wrong layers! I use a winter sports style layered approach, and I fished all day in temperatures as low as -8.

Base Layers:
1. An ultra-thin Thaw silk layer (vest and longjohns)
2. Icebreaker 260-rated vest and longjohns.

Mid Layer:
Up to three good-quality fleece tops. Fleece is warm, breathable, light and thin - which means you can wear several without becoming a michelin man, though my third one is a size up.

Top layers(s):
1. Wind-proof fleece jacket — wind-proofing is essential!
2. Preston Dryfish500 jacket and salopettes — waterproof and breathable.

Head: A decent thermal hat. A baseball cap just won't keep you warm!

Sounds complicated but it works for me. If it's -5 at dawn but the sun comes out later, I can strip off layer-by-layer as needed (not all the way, obviously :eek:). I usually take a two or three layers off for the walk down so I don't get too hot, and put them back on in the swim.

As Anthony said, sweat is the body's cooling method. If you get damp from sweating, you are guaranteed to get cold, so your base and mid layers need to have good wicking properties and everything needs to be breathable.

Hope this helps.

I was just about to say the same thing, nice post

I just use my neoprene waders with good welly socks on the legs and the multi layers on top with wind proof fleece and the thin water proof shell in the bag just incase it rains.

Dont wear neoprene waders in temps above 15c and in the sun because you'll learn how much legs can sweat

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to add, a scarf is an essential part of the system. This is NOT just to keep your neck warm — heat rises so you need to stop the heat escaping from gaps around your neck. Think of it as a gasket!

I have a lightweight fleece one from a walking shop

It's a miracle I survived as a child angler walking miles in the winter trying for chub clad only in my Parka , balaclava , jeans ,wellies and football socks . Not a lot of breathable gear there . I can still taste the wool of that balaclava , yuck !

You must remeber that alot of posters on here are from south of Sheffield Mike.
Those from North of this will be ok with an extra pair of socks and a jumper during
the 'colder' months.

Forgot to add, a scarf is an essential part of the system. This is NOT just to keep your neck warm — heat rises so you need to stop the heat escaping from gaps around your neck. Think of it as a gasket!

I have a lightweight fleece one from a walking shop
I will second that one Andy, my Girlfriends mum knitted me one last Xmas. Another essential bit of my warmers Kit.

ESP Windproof Hooded Fleece ! Best thing i've bought, that and an ESP Body Warmer.
I find that a Charcoal Handwarmer is a good bit of kit too ! Stick that in the Handwarmer pocket of the fleece and that's me sorted !

Back