• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

John Baker

I still do Tony, probably still some of the best bait about Imo.
Johnson Ross tackle in hoddesdon still stock a big range & John baker also makes Lone angler baits for them had a lot of good results on there bait too.

I still do Tony, probably still some of the best bait about Imo.
Johnson Ross tackle in hoddesdon still stock a big range & John baker also makes Lone angler baits for them had a lot of good results on there bait too.

Brilliant thanks Gareth I'll pop in when I'm fishing at the weekend. Just wanted a reliable base mix and putting my own two flavours into it for the winter floods that I'm sure will turn up eventually down here !

Super milk gold is supposed to be very good but I have not used it myself.
I use frost & flood for winter conditions.

I have used the frost and flood before as well with some grilled bacon flavour I had must be ten years old!

Where are you fishing Gareth I'm in Essex as well at the moment, fishing the lea!

Gawd help us, that 'Super milk' is £18 per kilo...and that's only the basemix :eek: By the time you add flavours, eggs and cooking power bill, you are looking at roughly £15 per kilo for home made boilies...and the gold version is even dearer :eek:

I know it's milk protein, but that's loads of dosh, and it won't catch you any more barbel than a decent fishmeal ready made freezer bait at between £5 and £7.50 per kilo if you buy 10k or so. In fact, one of the best you can buy, Nutrabaits Trigga frozen boilies, will cost you less than £11 per kilo for a 5k bag.

And that's ready to go, straight out of the bag.Scary!

Cheers, Dave.

Yes Tony I'm fishing the upper lee most local to me also been fishing the Lodden & Hampshire Avon when we go further afield.
Dave you don't know John personally then?;)

I wasn't planning n loose feeding loads of it just a small pva bag of freebies otherwise its crazy expensive!

Somebody dais that trigga is out of stock now that nutrabaits are no longer?

I have always used JB baits with confidence. I first started using them nearly 10 years ago when I was lucky enough to get first hand advice from John on bait making and, more importantly, how to apply it on my local rivers. I now use supermilk but cut it with another quality basemix which gives an effective bait without breaking the bank. My barbel and chub PBs were taken on JB baits and if I am not catching it not because of inferior bait! However, I am firmly of the opinion that there is no such thing as a 'magic' bait. My advice would always be to use a high quality basemix, decide on a boilie recipe and stick to it, apply the bait thoughtfully and persevere. You could do worse than reading JB's book on barbel baits and tactics which contains lots of good advice.

As i have always said you can not go wrong with jb bio shellfish.this accounted for all of my wifes double figure arrow barbel and all my river arrow barbel of yesteryear.best paste bait going mixed with ala salar.if only the farmer would let me fish his meadow i would give it a go again myself as i have nothing but confidence in that bait.
Get on it.maybe jimmy is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wasn't planning n loose feeding loads of it just a small pva bag of freebies otherwise its crazy expensive!

Somebody dais that trigga is out of stock now that nutrabaits are no longer?

Taska has bought both Nutrabaits and Kryston. Big Bill is apparently staying on as manager of his bait business, so I would be surprised if he lets Trigga go....but who knows.

Kryston....I don't know. Chilts is getting on a bit, so maybe he will retire :D

Cheers, Dave.

As i have always said you can not go wrong with jb bio shellfish.this accounted for all of my wifes double figure arrow barbel and all my river arrow barbel of yesteryear.best paste bait going mixed with ala salar.if only the farmer would let me fish his meadow i would give it a go again myself as i have nothing but confidence in that bait.
Get on it.maybe jimmy is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bio shellfish with Johns plum and butt-ringer flavours was one of my favourites back in my carping days. Mainline ORIGINAL Grange (the bait that made the company, their first big one) was probably my all time favourite, but I never tried either for barbel. Another at the top of my list was Baitcraft T1...and that was brilliant for barbel. Sadly, the originals of both that and the Grange are no longer available. If Trigga goes too, it will be sad.

The times they are a changing :eek:

Cheers, Dave.

Nutrabaits "rationalised" their products earlier this year (eg no more GForce). I would think Trigga will continue to be sold. Bill is developing new products as part of his new role.

Nutrabaits "rationalised" their products earlier this year (eg no more GForce). I would think Trigga will continue to be sold. Bill is developing new products as part of his new role.

Did hear Nutrabaits have been bought out Darryl ? Taska ? certainly a few of their baits have been discontinued.

Re the price of JBs Supermilk, Apparently Nutrabaits did away with Hi Nu Val because of the price of some of the ingredients, i heard it was going to have to be sold at somewhere between £20-£25 per kilo :eek: hence it went. Supermilk ? Bargain :)

I've rolled a kilo of JB Chub Attack basemix & the chub attack flavour up to now have had really good results however i've had a lot more barbel than chub so with this & Trigga Ice i'll carry on with these through winter.

Back