• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

jacket recommendations

Ray Heath

i was looking at trakker elements/summit jackets and the snugpak sj9 jackets for the winter anyone got either with any thoughts on them , or what would you recommend

I have the snugpak sj9 and it is without doubt the most insulated jacket I have ever owned...in fact too hot for me on anything but the coldest of winter days. Great if just sitting there in the cold...but start wandering/roving around and you soon feel the heat and need to unzip. To that end I ended up getting an sj6 also for when roving for Chub.

I have the snugpak sj9 and it is without doubt the most insulated jacket I have ever owned...in fact too hot for me on anything but the coldest of winter days. Great if just sitting there in the cold...but start wandering/roving around and you soon feel the heat and need to unzip. To that end I ended up getting an sj6 also for when roving for Chub.
i was wonder as they are just water repellent and not water proof what are they like in the rain i.e will they keep the rain out in a downpour
also when you say its to hot what were you wearing under it

Just sweatshirt or jumper underneath...wouldn’t want anything else! No they are not in any way waterproof or even showerproof...just a hot puffer jacket

Was just about to say that or a snugpak poncho.
I bought a Snugpak poncho a couple of weeks ago after it was mentioned on here (thanks) ...and because they were heavily reduced in price. I'm pleased with it. I was a bit apprehensive after reading the description (re. one size fits all/covers your gear as well) expecting it to resemble a bell tent, but the size is adequate without being excessively voluminous. It's light, it packs down well (snuggly even :)) with ease, the front 'map pocket' is a nice touch, and it has thumb loops to keep it from riding up.
I've got a lightweight fishing brolly, plus two 'civilian' brollies (std, and slightly bigger) that I've adapted to take a bank stick, plus a still unused Korum 'lite' shelter that I've had for a couple of years, but I dislike using any them besides maybe the smallest, so bought the poncho just to have in my pack as a 'just in case' item. Maybe I'll actually use it one day :)

Just sweatshirt or jumper underneath...wouldn’t want anything else! No they are not in any way waterproof or even showerproof...just a hot puffer jacket
But on the description it says the sj9 is water repellent
Get yourself a British army goretex jacket to go over the top.Hardwearing and cheap.
But on the description of the sj9 it says it's water repellent ?
That's confusing if you say it's not even shower proof

But on the description it says the sj9 is water repellent

But on the description of the sj9 it says it's water repellent ?
That's confusing if you say it's not even shower proof

Water proof and water repellent are very different things.

The Sungpack/Fortis jackets are designed as an insulating layer, with a view to a Goretex/waterproof shell over jacket if required. Light drizzle will bead off initially, but will soon soak into the down inner.

You will never need anything warmer than an SJ9 (I find the SJ3 adequate), in this country for angling.

Do an Ebay search for 'softie jacket' and pair one of these with a Army Goretex overjacket. That is literally the best set up you will get.

Sj9 is great if you are not planning on moving much, I use mine for carping as its great if you by a lake for the day or gonna stick in one swim.

I use a barber wax jacket, does me proud
Wow that brings back memories in 1962 I had Francis Barnet motor bike and wore a Belstaff trialmaster wax jacket kept me dry most of the time didnt realise they still made Wax jackets :oops:

Pair the jacket up with Snugpak salopettes, with British army goretex over the top and your on an absolute winner on a cold day. I just use a snugpak softie jacket instead of the sj9. I use the goretex all the time even when dry just to keep my jacket and bottoms clean and intact, as the goretex is ripstop.

Hi men ,

I have the FJ6 , slightly longer , shaped at the back , and like any insulated style jacket is basically a big warm sponge 😁 , not really resistant to rain , hence it's breathability . I have been out in very cold conditions I a tee shirt , and mid layer fleece , jacket tucked into my trakker bib&brace , works for me . If it rains I have an army jacket , but TBH if I know that it's going to rain I substitute the Fortis for my matching trakker jacket with is a great bit of gear . Trouble is that it all depends on how mobile you want to be as well , as some clothing suit sitting , and perhaps not climbing through brambles , as iv found out 😲😁

Hatter

I found snugpak to be very warm but not all that breathable. As already stated if you have to walk any distance you soon get a sweat on. Keeping static is fine. For an all round better option try the Buffalo shirt. (It comes with the option of a hood). These are simply awesome bits of kit. Very warm, windproof, breathable and showerproof. They dry out amazingly quick. Been wearing them since my forces days. I carry a rolled up army goretex that slips over the top if the weather becomes to wet.

Back