• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Isotopes/ Nightlights

Dave Taylor

After another session into dark I am now nursing my usual hangover type headache after watching that blurry nightlight for hours.
I have tried different colours, [ I found red to be easier to watch than green ], but still end up with eye strain the next morning.
A few years back I started using two isotopes about 6 ins. apart to help focus which seemed to help, but reverted back to using just one after my mate had his rod attacked by a tawny owl who took exception to the two 'eyes' on the end of his rod! This was not a one off, as it happened two weeks on the trot!
I prefer to watch the top of the rod than use an alarm,....any suggestions?
All the best
Dave T

Suffered from eye strain myself for years.
Computer screens, tv and even fishing.

Solution?
Got my eyes tested. :)

I am going to try the nash 5000 isotope i saw one being used the other week and was much easier to watch than my drennan.
Another more expensive way would be to get an alarm setup such as the ATTX system and just use it on vibrate.

Don't actually sit staring straight at the isotope and concentrating on it for hours on end....it need only be in your peripheral vision and you will still notice every movement, which is all you need Dave. I know it sounds like heresy, but you will still catch fish...it's just the headaches that you will lose....and you won't even miss them :p

Cheers, Dave.

I just use the cheapo ones from lidl and as said don't concentrate on the isotope itself just have it out the line of sight youll soon see it move when a barb picks your bait up.

Martin James has a great method, he sets his rods about 8inches apart and has a small torch with a spike and swivel mount which he pushes in the ground between them, the torch shining along the whole length of the rods, very effective.

Agree with Chris, I found that the cheap chemical lights from the budget supermarkets glow much brighter than my isotopes so now use them exclusively.

You obviously haven't met my 2nd cousin Wallis then Derek. His parents were cousins.

I have always favoured 2 isotopes as I think you don't strain your eyes quite so much when staring-something I do a lot (when fishing that is).

Yep that's Wallis playing the banjo (or his sister, I get them mixed up). The person dancing in the background is his mum (or uncle, I get them mixed up).

You obviously haven't met my 2nd cousin Wallis then Derek. His parents were cousins.

I have always favoured 2 isotopes as I think you don't strain your eyes quite so much when staring-something I do a lot (when fishing that is).

Thanks for the input guys.
Howard, you should really get out more,...priceless mate:D:D:D

In dark I normally use isotope , but spend time getting set up chair and rod rest so rod can be held ,finger on the line.
Alternate between the two for indications ,,,,
Still get owls avin a go though,,happened to me once.

Have not tried using two rods this style !! Ha.

After another session into dark I am now nursing my usual hangover type headache after watching that blurry nightlight for hours.
I have tried different colours, [ I found red to be easier to watch than green ], but still end up with eye strain the next morning.
A few years back I started using two isotopes about 6 ins. apart to help focus which seemed to help, but reverted back to using just one after my mate had his rod attacked by a tawny owl who took exception to the two 'eyes' on the end of his rod! This was not a one off, as it happened two weeks on the trot!
I prefer to watch the top of the rod than use an alarm,....any suggestions?
All the best
Dave T

Where about have you been fishing mate?

Hi Jack
Been out on the Wey for the last 3 sessions,..fished P/H on sat. and thought I was into a pb barbel about 10pm..alas it was a very hard fighting 17.10 common!
Did'nt need an isotope for that take to register!!
Totally bu***rd the swim though.
PS The river needs more water, shame we did'nt get the forcast rain last week.

Last edited:
yes Dave they are all tucked away in the marina;) especially around the fuel jetty, they do patrol the river down to lg

Back