• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Initial pre-baiting of a new stretch with Boilies

Ian,

Again a very comprehensive reply. Over the last few months I have been looking optimise my baiting along this line of thinking. Presently playing around with a ground bait mix & now looking at making boilies to match & was surprised on how cheap it can be. Looking at a coarser consistency which I intend to use as chops instead of rolling which will be flash boiled & air dried. Then time to experiment in a glass of water...

Cheers, Jon

The magic ingredient Ian and missing from so many anglers baits mate............ confidence LOL

Hi Andy,

Hope I have understood you properly - making boilies from ground up halli's?

I did this a few years ago too & found the bait a rather bland affair similarly catching bream & chub! I am slightly changing things this time by using a couple of low temperature, highly soluble quality fish meals, some milk protein & bird food derivatives with a few additives & low quantities of oil (no flavours).

Just recently bought one of these

http://tools.toolbox.co.uk/tools/Cox Pointing Gun

primarily for my landscaping; but will make the coarse bait sausages & roughly chop thereafter. Boiling baits for approx 15 secs (dependant on bait diameter) & then air dry for a couple of days or so. Small spray with some oils prior to use.

Idea for me is to limit temperature alteration of any proteinaceous material - it might not have any discernible effect on my fishing. Its the more raw bait form that I am curious about.

From what I understand most for most pellets contain standard meals (more or less), contain unnecessary ingredient(s) & are air dried at temps that would effect the baits properties.

In all probability I'll end up fishing the same as I was 5 years ago - always tinkering!

Cheers, Jon

I am slightly changing things this time by using a couple of low temperature, highly soluble quality fish meals, some milk protein & bird food derivatives with a few additives & low quantities of oil (no flavours).

you're right on the money Jon with that mix, sounds excellent to me - stay on it, to the exclusion of all else.

15 secs is ambitious for hair rigging !!, i boil for 20 and just about get away with it in summer, mind you i leave my baits in for hours, all session if i have to, by which time they are very soft when i reel in.

15 secs is good with an hour or so air drying for side hooking rhough.

Winter i boil just a few for about 45 secs and wrap paste round them, at least if i'm making fresh baits, and not air drying them as i find i squash the boilie too easily.

Ian.

Hi ian
When youve air dried boilies can you use them in their hard state?..or do you have to soak them untill they are back to soft..and if you do have to soak whats best to soak them in?
Regards craig

Just a Big thank you to all the replies, Ian Grant especially, as i have based my baiting campaign on his post. I will post in the future my results.

Jon

Back