• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Initial pre-baiting of a new stretch with Boilies

Jon Frisby

Senior Member & Supporter
I must admit, i am a bit of a novice with boilies. However i will persevere with a little help.
I am planning on using some high quality Boilies on my local small river, the river has seen limited use of boilies, if any, its not fished a great deal, and has a small to medium head of fish, ranging up to doubles.
Q's
1. I have found 4 pegs to bait up within 200m, how many boilies shall i put in each?
2. How often shall i bait up prior to fishing?
3. How long will it take for the fish to come on the bait.

Thank you very much in advance to replies.

Jon

baiting up

Try baiting up with hemp and sweetcorn..better bet early on in season would use boilies later on..but i guess everyone has their own preference..:)

probably best to bait swims every other day or so..it helps if you can see if the bait is being taken..dont go over the top with boilies or pellets which is why i would advise using hemp and corn because you cant over feed and also it will keep fish coming back for more..

i,ve just seen this on another barbel forum but apparently according to the ea under no circumstances is it allowed to bait swims during closed season,

can anyone shed any light on this as i also planned on a prebaiting some new swims and i,ve been feeding chub in some shallow runs for the past couple of weeks
cheers
jerry

hi jerry..thats a new one on me mate...never heard that before..would be interesting if anyone else can shed some light on the subject..

Jerry, where did you hear that ? i've never heard of it.

Jon, firstly are you after the biggest, or just numbers ?

If it's the biggest you are after, your bait really does need to be good, so good that the barbel will want to eat it in preference to anything else they find, bait or natural, thats what you should be aiming for even if you dont always achieve it, if you are consistently catching your targets then you must be doing something right bait wise.
How much you put in depends on the numbers present, as initially attracting even the smaller fish will help you, the bigger fish won't ignore the feeding activity.
As the weeks go by leading up to the 16th you should decrease the bait, to the amount you will be baiting throughout the season. How much that will be will then depend on the frequency you can pre bait.

If every day then i would advise no more than 1/2 doz 12mm/14mm baits - i like to break mine in half, these should be on the firmish side but not hard, you should be able to very easily squash them between finger and thumb, if say only twice per week then double that.

By the start of the season you should be baiting one swim only, by which time if your bait is good quality will see the bigger stamp of fish dominating the baited swim, once you catch one or more fish in a session, bait another nearby swim with the same small amount, and repeat the process baiting one swim only, if you blank - and you will ! keep to the same swim.

The aim is to allow the fish to recognise the bait, but never giving them enough to satisfy them, keep them wanting more, and fighting for it.
Once they come to recognise that the bait keeps appearing in the same place
i believe they may even start to protect the area even when there is no bait present, in the anticipation it may soon be.

It's essential that you keep baiting levels low, and fish over no more than you bait with. I would also advise keeping flavourings very low for long term results fishing the same stretch.
The odd chub and smaller barbel will have their odd pickings, but too much bait will see the Chub and smaller Barbel move in in numbers, and if there is enough bait to go round the bigger barbel will allow it.

Which is exactly what you should do if you want numbers of fish, - and why not ! put in 4 times the amount depending on the amount you can visit to bait, a couple of doz baits every day or if fewer pre baiting trips, up to 50 or so if say only two days baiting, in this case try to keep your baiting trips as far apart or evenly spaced as possible bearing in mind the days you fish as well, I always put the normal amount in after i leave after a session.
I would still break the baits up, and narrow down to one swim, but there will not be the need to change swims with the frequency as though you were trying to single out the biggest.
A month or so into the season should see your swims with plenty of barbel hanging around, and doesn't neccesarily mean that you won't catch the big ones, but you will catch far more barbel, and Chub bless em' !

The only problem is other anglers fishing your swim ! and there's nothing you can do about that, apart from trying to fish areas less frequented by other anglers, but it will happen it's a fact of life, but in the bigger picture baiting in this way will see you getting more of your targets, whether it's the big ones or just more barbel in your net.

Whatever your bait is STAY ON IT don't change it, and keep flavour levels low if it's the big ones you want. It is advisable to tweak your flavouring every 6-8 weeks or so, but i do mean a tweak to already low levels, sometimes by taking something out, and sometimes putting something in.
A good bait doesn't need flavours, but they can be an advantage in being able to very slightly alter the bait from time to time to stop the bait becoming too recognisable, it's a balance between them recognising the food and coming to accept it, and the bait being eventually a danger signal to the ones already caught, and so spooking the others.

Best of luck mate.

Ian.

Last edited:
hi jerry..thats a new one on me mate...never heard that before..would be interesting if anyone else can shed some light on the subject..

Just a guess. Could be someone being over cautious about disturbing the barbel whilst spawning??
(though they seldom feed whilst busy at it;))

Interesting thread. Don't reckon Jon meant that his prebaiting plan starts now but in due course - once the fish drop back having recovered & had their bit of fun...

Quality reply Ian

PS Not want to digress - Jerry re: baiting in closed season - at most it might be an old local byelaw. Not really enforceable.

Interesting thread. Don't reckon Jon meant that his prebaiting plan starts now but in due course - once the fish drop back having recovered & had their bit of fun...

Quality reply Ian

PS Not want to digress - Jerry re: baiting in closed season - at most it might be an old local byelaw. Not really enforceable.

jon
i agree with you it could be an old byelaw, but i hope it isnt one full stop as i wanted to do some prebaiting myself in the close season and like i said in above post i,ve been feeding chub for the last 3 weeks on some pellets. i saw the post earlier while looking at the barbel spotting thread
cheers
jerry

Ian, I must say that is one of the most comprehensive replies i have seen on BFW, all the information is spot on and uncomplicated.

Thank You

Jon

IAN
its here, i assume from the way kevs wrote it he actually phoned them

http://www.barbelhunters.co.uk/barbel-fishing-basics/2298-barbel-spotting-2.html

if its in with all the byelaws i cant find it, but to be honest i,m not sure where to look

cheers
jerry

As Kev say's Jerry, he's not sure and admits it's his interpretation of ' the close season ' law.

Personally the way i interpret the law - any law - if it's not in black and white
( somewhere ) it's not the law.

If you were putting food into the water without the intention to fish, but this were illegal, i would say the same would apply to people throwing bread into the thames with the deliberate intention of feeding the carp - i have seen this myself a few years back - i wouldn't say this was illegal, nor ever have i seen a law or bylaw that says it is so.
So until the EA ever publish a ruling that states feeding fish in a river is illegal at certain times of the year, possible local bylaws accepted if they exist, i'll continue to feed fish a food which during the coarse fishing season i'd be using as a bait with the intention of catching them.

Thats my interpretation and i guess the vast majority of anglers too - whether they would feed fish or not.

I'm sure if the law was not to feed fish during the close season, the EA would make it very clear to all.

Ian.

ian
it was his second post down i was referring to where he says "ok this has now been clarified by the E.A, under no circumstances is it allowed to bait swims during closed season"
i only wanted to warn incase people find them selves in trouble, me included, i forgot to say great answer to the question, very informative and straight to the point, especially easy to understand especially if someone has never pre-baited before
cheers
jerry

Useful post ian thanks. Can you go into more depth about 'good' or 'quality' bait - maybe with examples. Do you mean fresh?
geoff

Geoff,
If you are wanting to buy ready rolled, the are quite a few that are pretty good, Richworth Bioplex if you can still get it. Mainline Grange, Nutrabaits trigga, Teme severn, all very good.
I personally roll my own HNV mix, for about a third cheaper than you can buy freezer baits, and up to even half dependant on the bait.

Since i started using and experimenting with HNV baits my results have never been so consistant.

It's a big jigsaw really put all the pieces in place and you've cracked it !
Watercraft is the biggest one, but regarding bait IMO it's not so much the bait as important as it is, but the way you apply it to get the results you're looking for, experimenting is great fun i find, but be careful you don't lose yourself up your own rear end !!! :(

Using these ingredients it's possible to make a bait that will stand the test of time, give it at least a season, if you are blanking don't be too quick to blame the bait, look at all those other pieces of jigsaw first, usually the answer is there.

here's a post i put on Barbelangler a while back which will help you i hope.

After seeing Adams post, i thought i would post on here the presentation that i made at Grahams BS regional meeting in November. This is what appeared on the screen essentialy, though i could not get the table of ingredients to copy and paste properly from my word doc, so i've put in here in list form. I've also expanded on the text slightly, not being constrained by space, to make things slightly clearer, i've also added two ingredients to the list which i didn't use in the original presentation, - Krill Meal, and Soya Isolate.
Hope it helps anyone thinking about going down the HNV route, any questions feel free to post them, we can chat away till our hearts content !! not being constrained by time.

Typical ingredients for HNV mixes
Percentages in yellow are approximate protein values, manufactured batches can vary slightly.
Percentages in Red are my advised maximum inclusion levels in any given mix.
See CC Moore www.ccmoore.com for descriptions on bait ingredients.

Bulk ingtredients

LT94 Fishmeal 72% 50%

SCO 70 Fishmeal 70% 50%

Poultry Protein Meal 72% 50%

Acid Casein 90% 60%

Rennet Casein 90% 60%
--------------------------------------------
Soluble ingredients

Pre Digested Fishmeal 72% 30%

Calcium Caseinate 90% + 10%

Sodium Caseinate 90% + 10%
---------------------------------------------
Binding Ingredients

Blood Meal 90% 40%

Whey Protein Concentrate 80% + 20%

Lactalbumen 88% 20%

Soya Isolate 80% 20%

Additives

Squid Meal 76% 10%

Spirulina 70% 10%

Green Lipped Mussel 50% 10%

Soluble Fish Protein 57% 10%

Krill Meal 60% 10%

Robin Red unknown % 5 - 10 Gr ( metric ) per egg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ingredients and excluding additives listed above, are those which have enough protein content to be able to mix and match without having to worry about excessively decreasing protein levels.
There are dozens and dozens of ingredients which may well be attractive to fish, but would if included in bulk quantities would seriously reduce the protein content
to below what i would consider an HNV bait, and so i have not included them in the list.
With the ingredients listed above it's possible to formulate a bait from pure milk proteins to fishmeal or meat based mixes, and mixes of all those if you choose.
Because of the levels i recomend with additives should you wish to use them, you needn't consider them as drastically affecting your protein levels on way or the other., though generaly i've listed those with repectable protein levels, with the exception of Robin Red, as Haiths who manufacture it keep the recipe ultra secret, so the protein content is unknown, but is an extremly effective binder even in low levels, and very very attractive to fish.

General Rules to consider when formulating a bait mix

Consider the amount of Soluble content in your mix 20% is safe if you are inexperienced in custom bait making, 30% is achievable using the correct ingredients.

In General Digestibility means Solubility whilst desirable, the mix must work.
Beware of over buoyancy in your bait when using solubles. Krill Meal whilst an insoluble ingredient is also very buoyant.

Your Bulk ingredients make up the greater part of your mix, keep your protein levels as high as you can, considering the nature of the bait you wish to formulate i.e. fishmeal, meat meal, milk etc. Cost is always a factor but buy the best quality available - true of all your ingredients.

Additives can be fantastic fish pullers, but because of their often powerful flavours can in time become a danger signal, always use low levels.
The ingredients i've listed as additives, vary in the reasons i've recomended inclusion levels of 10% maximum. The three to consider mainly at least with the products i've listed are, over flavouring, cost, bouyancy, and solubility. The inclusion or ommision of other 'sensitive' ingredients in your mix will have a bearing on whether you increase or decrease these levels

Flavourings in liquid or powder form, in my opinion should only be considered a label to your bait, and i would advise use in low levels.
There are many ingredients that can be obtained in small quantities and cheaply from the supermarket, and can be used instead of expensive additives to equally good effect in my opinion.

Essential Oils are very useful for providing a flavour label, but be careful with levels. Some are more powerful than others, err on the side of caution at first if you are not sure of its potency.

IMO your bait should end with a subtle smell, and any flavour should never be easily identifiable to your nose, a fish has a power of taste way in excess of yours,
and aside from creating a danger signal, you may even make it repellent.

Keep your mixes simple, IMO it's completely unnecessary to over complicate baits by adding too many ingredients ending in a list of ingredients as long as your arm. Leaving aside additives 4 to 6 ingredients making up your bulk, solubles, and binders is sufficient to make an attractive mix. In fact dependany on the ingredient just 1 or 2 is sufficient to create a balanced nutritional profile in your bait, the need to add other ingredients is really only to make the bait function i.e it holds together, when rolling and boiling. In cold water temps it is possible to go much higher with your soluble content if you wish, but would only be practical if useing the mix as a paste, which otherwise would see it dissolve in the pan if you tried to boil it. there are even limits to that though experience will tell you how far you can push it !! More solubility in your bait will aid it's digestibility which is especiall desirable in cold water.
Powdered Additives are optional, if you include them remove 10% of your bulk.

Aim for a minimum of 70% protein Content.

A few examples of HNV mixes.

40% LT94 or SCO 70……Bulk
30% Acid Casein…………Bulk
10% Calcium Caseinate….Soluble
20 % Whey Protein Concentrate or Lactalbumen……… Binder
Protein content 80% +

40% Poultry Protein Meal…. Bulk
30% Rennet Casein….. Bulk
10% Sodium Caseinate….. Soluble
10% Pre digested fishmeal….Soluble
10% Blood meal….. Binder
Protein content 80% +

20% Poultry Protein Meal…… Bulk
20% LT94 or SCO 70……Bulk
30% Rennet or Acid Casein……Bulk
10 % Sodium or Calcium Caseinate…Soluble
10% Pre digested Fishmeal……..Soluble
10% Whey Protein Concentrate or Lactalbumen……Binder
Protein content 80% +

Note: Robin Red can be added to any of these mixes at 5-10 Grams per egg, without having to factor it in to the percentage of the total mix.

These mixes are calculated in percentages which remain constant regardless of the number of eggs used.

A 2 egg mix should give you roughly 400 - 450 Grams of bait.

I usually make a 3 egg mix for fishing over 3 days e.g. Fri, Sat, Sun, divide into 3 equal parts and put in fridge bait will last in a cold fridge for 4 - 5 days.
Do not place in plastic bags unless you are going to freeze the bait, or refridgerate ( no more than 3 days in the fridge or the bait may turn sour or mouldy )

However preferentially if i am able i prefer to make the bait on the day of fishing, knowing my bait is as fresh as i can make it is only a confidence thing, i've never noticed an identifiable diffence in my catches by keeping bait refridgerated or frozen, for short periods.

Bait

well ian again a brilliant well thought post...Youve obviously done the trials and are still happy to post your own ideas..well done ian..For everyone else out there who wants something different then read the above..Theres also a book from nutrabaits called the little black book which ive found helpfull regarding making your own baits and its also free..:)

Ive been told a good sign of a good bait is if the fish are ****ting it out in your net when you land them..:)

Nowt wrong with a tin of meat Ian:D:D:D:D

Some good stuff there matey, personally i will use ready made baits and the add something to them.

If i was to be pre-baiting a swim or two the a large ball of pellet mash with some bits and bobs added, throw a couple of large balls into the swim once every couple of days just to get the fish in the mood.

Back