• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

In need of a new landing net head.

From 2002 a modified 32" Spoon (12-13mm aluminium arms) with internal reinforcement) and a bit later on a heavy duty extension to the handle.

View attachment 10408View attachment 10407

Made a solid spreader block out of solid aluminium which replaced the one shown on the net.

View attachment 10409

Cheers
Bob
There’s ya perfect barbel net right there.
very nice Bob. I’ve got similar ambitions but with a length of 1/2 inch diameter titanium.

Hi Bill. I have the large folding net.
It measures 30" from spreader to cord, 30" at the widest point and 32" deep.

20200320-073611.jpg

That net looks too deep for my liking. I’d get it caught on everything. I use the korum latex net like the op but hated it at first so brought the korum folding triangle which I loved but ended up losing along with my mat somewhere so went back to the latex spoon and don’t mind it as much now. I have been thinking of replacing it with another folding net and thought these looked good until I saw the depth of the net so probably go back to the korum folding triangle. Only problem is I can’t remember which size I had so need to see one in a shop before I get the wrong one

20200320-073814.jpg

Not sure how I got my reply into the middle of johns quoted tweed but it’s in there if anyone wants to read it lol

Alas - some words of caution.

I'd been after a change from my 36" triangular net for some time and, after reading this thread, I decided that the large Wychwood net looked like the way to go. Trouble was, due to Covid, I didn't have the option to inspect one of these nets in a tackle shop before clicking the buy button.
The net arrived and first evening out was christened with a 10lb+ fish so I was more than happy to begin with.
Unfortunately, after just 4 weeks of regular use, one of the arms suddenly broke whilst I was lightly shaking off excess water as I packed up.
The "fixed" arm had sheared through just inside the spreader block where the outer screw (which secures the arm to the spreader block) had obviously compromised the strength of the arm - see photo.
Full marks to AD for arranging a replacement but in my mind this net has a design fault and I cannot see why Wychwood would use two screws to attach the arm. The "inner" screw would be more than sufficient to do this job on its own - or why not dispense with both screws altogether so we could leave the spreader permanently attached to the landing net pole.
Yes I have my replacement but I'm always going to unconsciously treat the net with kid's gloves from now on. Removing the offending screw obviously isn't a DIY option as it's the hole that the screw has made that creates the problem.

Attachments

• IMG_4404.JPEG
    IMG_4404.JPEG
    108 KB · Views: 223
Alas - some words of caution.

I'd been after a change from my 36" triangular net for some time and, after reading this thread, I decided that the large Wychwood net looked like the way to go. Trouble was, due to Covid, I didn't have the option to inspect one of these nets in a tackle shop before clicking the buy button.
The net arrived and first evening out was christened with a 10lb+ fish so I was more than happy to begin with.
Unfortunately, after just 4 weeks of regular use, one of the arms suddenly broke whilst I was lightly shaking off excess water as I packed up.
The "fixed" arm had sheared through just inside the spreader block where the outer screw (which secures the arm to the spreader block) had obviously compromised the strength of the arm - see photo.
Full marks to AD for arranging a replacement but in my mind this net has a design fault and I cannot see why Wychwood would use two screws to attach the arm. The "inner" screw would be more than sufficient to do this job on its own - or why not dispense with both screws altogether so we could leave the spreader permanently attached to the landing net pole.
Yes I have my replacement but I'm always going to unconsciously treat the net with kid's gloves from now on. Removing the offending screw obviously isn't a DIY option as it's the hole that the screw has made that creates the problem.
Drilled then two self tappers forced in the aluminum. Seems to be the norm with this crap they put out.
Korum are going for it now. 15mm aluminum frame and a metal spreader with 4 screw going into tapped holes. They are listening to us cos that sounds quite decent now.

I had the same thing happen to me as les did above,mine was the medium wychwood.I have had it for several years though and it has been used on a regular basis. It has served me well I have kept the mesh and fitted it to an aluminium frame similar to Bobs, not used it yet maybe next season now.It means the net is fixed and not collapsible and obviously the little magnet doesn't work. I would buy another one if this fix doesn't suit.

After seeing bobs I went to work on my own spoon.
Haven’t got round to the Ti project yet but this does a decent job
E939E240-515C-4206-8160-6282B9DEFFB9.jpeg
B63353CD-E273-4D35-AF81-CF61784FB292.jpeg
19F64CE2-7F3A-40B4-87EA-B455F9979502.jpeg

So the original aluminum tube has been sleeved 3/4 of the length up both sides with solid aluminum bar
The spreader was bought oversized so I could reinforce it internally with 316 grade stainless tube and the whole lot was drilled right through in 4 places then fitted with stainless m4 bolts and nuts. It was also completely assembled with bearing fit loctite so it’s never in a million years coming apart.

Have thought about making a bespoke spoon net out of titanium, have looked on the internet but cannot seem to find anyone who would make a bespoke mesh to fit the frame does anyone know where I could source a mesh?

Absolutely stunning David. 👍

Thanks Derek and Mark, they are a bit big to cart around at the biggest size, I copied the nets that Venables used as a guide and things moved on from there .
I must admit that having made something like 20 plus in the last few years , of variouse sizes ,most end up in anglers “ studies “ as something to look at, when actually I use mine for the purpose they were intended .

David.

After reading this post you could assume that most of the current barbel nets are not suitable for long term use but are we missing the point.

The manufacturers produce tackle according to demand and they often have famous anglers as angling consultants who it is believed have a huge wealth of experience and they will tweak a design for the better but this is not always the case. The trouble with barbel nets is that there is not just one that will address all occasions. There is no perfect net for all occasions.

In an open swim with easy access the frame can be supported as you lift the fish but the weight of the fish can still put a strain on the spreader bar and leverage will quickly buckle and snap aluminium bars or tubes if it is not supported as well. Fibreglass or carbon is stronger but it does split and needle-stick injuries do occur and they are very hard to treat in fish.High banks where you cannot get down to the waters edge are a different proposition and longer handles are needed. Getting the net into position can involve pushing and pulling through vegetation and forcing snagged netting through to the water. Then there is possibly a strong current to contend with before getting the fish back up the bank by either dragging or a dead lift. Any weakness in the frame or handle will be exposed and this is not what the net was designed for.

I personally dislike triangular nets for river fishing because of the flex in the cord when landing a fish and a spoon net also give me the chance to draw the fish over the rim because it is rigid. It is also easier to force through vegetation. I also have numerous handles and again my choice depends on the venue. For roving on small rivers I have an extending sea trout flip net. It has large netting so it drains easily and it is easily carried. It can be dismantled via the Allen bolts that secure it together and an Allen key is installed into the handle.I use a shorter strong handle like the Lone Angler for easier access swims but for fisheries with much higher banks I have tried a variety of handles and the Gardner and Drennan do allow me to adjust the length of the handle. The extension can also slip out.

Carbon is light and strong and Chris Brown does great products but I am not sure if his 6’ and 3’ handles have a 3/8bsf thread fitting for use with other makes of net. With this design there is no chance of housing or extending and this is the way to go. Drain rods are too flexible but there may be other options.

All of the load is on the spreader bar and again a strong reinforced unit is beneficial. Gardner do a stainless spreader block with a 13mm diameter insert. If it fits I could transfer one of my older pan net frames into this and see if it is better. As previously mentioned titanium is light and strong but the machining it is beyond my tools capabilities.

For wading and stalking I have sea trout flip nets made by Fastnet and they can build salmon size flip net if it is required. They do a large number of net bags also.

I had a whychwood folding net , I didn’t like the spreader block , felt it would snap. I don’t fish high banks but I’d see this net being a death trap. Prefer my kodex 36 triangular net, solid spreader and great arms that are not coming out .

Back