• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

How many rods do you own?

Adrian Williams

No Longer a Member
I noticed the thread about the set of rods for exclusive use on the mole and it got me thinking.
Back in the day you would have one bottom rod, one match/float rod and a spinning rod which doubled as a pike rod.
I have recently thinned allot of my tackle out, some sold, some binned, some given away to young nephews but it has still left me with two sets of carp/pike rods a full tope fishing set up, half a dozen barbel rods, two float/match rods and various other odds and ends and that's not counting my growing collection of cane.
So how many have you got? And more to the point how many do you use?

Not enough!

Just getting around to thinning mine down a bit, I have a few Barbel Rods , a few Avons in various guises, , a couple of quiver tips, a couple of Float rods, a couple of spinning rods, 3 pike rods, NO carp rods....
Then if I start on the beach gear it gets silly, if I start on the boat gear sillier, if I start on the Fly gear it gets sillier still,
If I start on the Cane collection, it gets very very silly.

One day the better half will realise that I dont just keep my rods in the workshop, there must be more rods stashed away than I can remember..

And I complain about her shoes..... :0)

Seasons greetings to all, hope you all have PB'S in your stocking.

Dave

In my garage......23.....2 in the bedroom and 1 in the car. 4 in a mates garage and one at another mates.....6 at my Dads and most likely a couple somewhere else cant remeber.....

2 carp rods
4 barbel rods
stalker carp rod
2 avon rods
2 float rods
1 pike rod
1 spinning rod
1 fly rod
1 marker rod
1 spod rod.
2 tench pit rods.
that's it, i think?
i did have a fair few others that were gathing dust including a mk 1 mach boron 13 ft float which i gave to a mate and low value rods that i gave to the charity shop

Last edited:
Far too many.

Got about a dozen I use regularly, another dozen I use very rarely and the rest collecting dust because either they 'might come in handy' or have sentimental value.

Worryingly my annual rate of new rod purchase is increasing!

There was a similar thread a few years ago, soon after I'd got back into fishing. At the time I had three rods, a light carp rod which I used for barbel, a float rod and a cheap spinning rod — and I was staggered at the number of rods people had. I couldn't undertand why people needed so many! Now I have 14 :eek:, although that does includes my three original rods which are now retired.

The 11 that I do use include 3 barbel rods, 3 carp/pike rods, 4 lure rods, an avon quiver and a light float rod.

But I'm not finished yet. I'm currently looking for a cheap spod rod for a carp trip in the spring, and perhaps even a marker rod as well. At some point I'd like to buy a decent feeder rod for chub and probably a fly rod as well :D

6 barbel rods, 4 carp rods, 1 power float rod, 2 light quivers and a partridge in a pear tree. All absolutely essential and necessary. None are currently, or have been for some weeks, attached to a fish.

Oh dear guilty as charged, terribly embarrassing ... 31 rods in all. A real mixture. Some of them will have to go...maybe...

There was a similar thread a few years ago, soon after I'd got back into fishing. At the time I had three rods, a light carp rod which I used for barbel, a float rod and a cheap spinning rod — and I was staggered at the number of rods people had. I couldn't undertand why people needed so many! Now I have 14 :eek:, although that does includes my three original rods which are now retired.

The 11 that I do use include 3 barbel rods, 3 carp/pike rods, 4 lure rods, an avon quiver and a light float rod.

But I'm not finished yet. I'm currently looking for a cheap spod rod for a carp trip in the spring, and perhaps even a marker rod as well. At some point I'd like to buy a decent feeder rod for chub and probably a fly rod as well :D
cheap marker, i have the chub snooper, it's ok, only paid £28.00.

I should show this thread to my non fishing family and friends, perhaps that'll stop the 'another new bloody rod!' comments!

about 10 rods,

I dare not even go out to the garage and count them in case my Mrs catches me. Off the top of my head I have 2 x beachcasters, 1 uptider, maybe half a dozen fly rods, assorted spinning rods, old fibreglass coarse rods mostly made by me 30+ years ago. Two new Wychwood Rogue barbel rods which I bought this season an taking up this barbel lark.

Then there is my collection on 1970's Hardy Fibalite coarse rods including 2 x R Walker carp rods, Fred J Taylor trotter, a couple of Matchmakers, Swing Tip, Swimfeeder, R Walker Avon most of these have never been used!

Just remembered another sea rod 11ft 2-4oz bass rod, Oh and then there is the 8 1/2 #6 fly rod I bought my daughter to learn on. Possibly some more...

Better not start thinking about reels!!!

And I ask her indoors why she needs so many lipsticks and nail varnishes!

Too many.

6 carp rods
Spod rod
Marker rod
Stalking rod
4 barbel rods
2 match rods
1 power match rod
1 trotting rod
1 avon rod
3 feeder rods
1 spinning rod
1 pole

and no more room for any more, yet.

BEWARE the internet has eyes :eek: thieves maybe looking at their shopping lists on this thread....

Brian

Have to admit this thread has made me feel better in fact it makes me think I need a few more. I have a core of 11 that I like to think I use (reality is if I can manage half a dozen trips a year I've done well) then all the others that I've had years and as they're not worth a carrot I've not had the heart to bin but wouldn't get enough to cover the hassel if I tried to sell them.

BEWARE the internet has eyes :eek: thieves maybe looking at their shopping lists on this thread....

Brian

Good point Brian, with our real names wouldn't be hard for any thieving barsteward to track down some gear.

Best sleep in the garage lads .....just to be on the safe side :(

Back