• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

How longs your hook link ?

Adam Wylie

Senior Member & Supporter
When using a coated braid hooklink , what length are you using ? I have been using 12" max as the coated braid requires steaming to get it straight !! Anything longer than that ,and it's difficult store and keep straight without steaming on the bank .

When using a coated braid hooklink , what length are you using ? I have been using 12" max as the coated braid requires steaming to get it straight !! Anything longer than that ,and it's difficult store and keep straight without steaming on the bank .
Sounds like a load of hassle if you have to do that on the bank,I use Thinking Anglers camo coated braid ( not all the time it depends how rocky) but its really limp and I use it in different lengths from 8inch for chub to 2ft barbel..

Never heard that one before Adam. I use korda N trap coated braid religiously. It’s absolutely awesome stuff and my hook lengths vary from 18 inch to 5 feet.

I’ve never had an issue with Nash combi link and keep hook links up to 18” stored in a Korda rig tub….a quick pull sets it straight

" GARDNER ULTRA SKIN STIFF "I just bought 2 spools of the stuff assuming the stiffness would ensure it stays on the deck.
It comes off the spool in coils and can only be steamed over kettle to get it straight !! So I steam a few hook links before going to the bank as I don't use a stove.
The only problem is storage !! I keep my hook links on a rig bin, so would end up coiling it again.

There's your answer Adam, don't use stiff coated braid ...the limper the better IMO. I mean, limpness is the main reason for using braid on most occasions. And if you're worried about keeping it on the deck then use a blob/blobs of tungsten putty. Feather down your cast and then you'll know your rig is more likely to be straight. Plus, of course, the current helps!

" GARDNER ULTRA SKIN STIFF "I just bought 2 spools of the stuff assuming the stiffness would ensure it stays on the deck.
It comes off the spool in coils and can only be steamed over kettle to get it straight !! So I steam a few hook links before going to the bank as I don't use a stove.
The only problem is storage !! I keep my hook links on a rig bin, so would end up coiling it again.
I don’t use the stiff stuff. Never felt a need on running water as the rivers flow will keep the hook link nice, straight and on the deck.
The stuff I use comes off the spool perfectly straight and strips with my fingers
I’d actually do the complete opposite to your thinking and consider the stiffer stuff for still waters where you don’t have the current to straighten out your hook links

There's your answer Adam, don't use stiff coated braid ...the limper the better IMO. I mean, limpness is the main reason for using braid on most occasions. And if you're worried about keeping it on the deck then use a blob/blobs of tungsten putty. Feather down your cast and then you'll know your rig is more likely to be straight. Plus, of course, the current helps!
Beaten too it.
Better explained too nice one Terry

Try the Ultra Skin soft as sold on this site. Been using for it a couple of years now and it is the best coated braid I have used .

Also Adam. This really stiff braid your using sounds like it would struggle to take form on what it’s laying on.
River beds as you know ain’t often nice and flat. A softer hook length will sit and take the beds form making it less likely to come into contact with a feeding fish. Really stiff stuff may sit off the deck if it’s a particularly uneven river bed if that makes sense

Don't have a problem with Drennan sink link or gravel braid.
Never used a coated braid, doesn't sit right unless you faff about with it.
Nice camo braid or fluorocarbon for me.

Flouro carbon and Braid combi rig for me, total of about 20”. I use a dinky little quick change bead which helps pin down the hook length.
This way means swapping the actual hook length takes seconds, I can swap to a different set up without a single knot or cut. Makes storing spare pre-tied hook portions very simple too.

Back